e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV Banter thread

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have an update on the rocket launch from wallops?

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/news/12-10.html

Countdown to Begin For Five Sounding Rockets to Illuminate Eastern U.S. Night Sky

WASHINGTON – NASA managers have given a "go" for a countdown leading to the launch of five suborbital sounding rockets just after midnight tonight on a science mission that will briefly create a milky white cloud that may be visible along a large portion of the U.S. east coast.

The Anomalous Transport Rocket Experiment (ATREX) mission will gather information needed to better understand the process responsible for the high-altitude jet stream located 60 to 65 miles above the surface of the Earth.

As part the mission, the sounding rocket launch team at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility, Wallops Island, Va., will launch five rockets 80 seconds apart, each of which will release a chemical tracer to create clouds allowing scientists and the public to “see” the winds in space.

The available launch window opens at midnight and extends for three hours. A significant criteria for launch to proceed will be clear skies not only at Wallops but also at sites in New Jersey and North Carolina. The probability for acceptable weather for launch tonight is less than 10%.

The temporary clouds may be visible for up to 20 minutes by residents from South Carolina to southern New Hampshire and Vermont.

More information on the ATREX mission is available on the Internet at:

This is also a better link-live update:

http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-20 at 22:56:07 EDT

Vertical payload checks are in progress.

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-20 at 22:48:32 EDT

Poll to conducted vertical checks is complete.

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-20 at 22:47:33 EDT

All five rocket payloads have been checked with the rockets in the horizontal position. Next up, the rockets will be raised to the launch position and vertical payload checks will be conducted.

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-20 at 21:11:34 EDT

Horizontal checks have started

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-20 at 21:08:40 EDT

Conducting poll to begin the payload horizontal checks

With this crazy warm weather we've been having, I'm on the verge of needing to cut my lawn. There are patches of grass (and weeds) that are already over 6 inches high. I have never cut the grass before the 2nd week of April, but I'm probably going to have to do so before the end of March this year. Not sure when the rain is expected to arrive this weekend, but I'll probably at least cut the high grass on Saturday morning if the rain holds off until after noon.

With this crazy warm weather we've been having, I'm on the verge of needing to cut my lawn. There are patches of grass (and weeds) that are already over 6 inches high. I have never cut the grass before the 2nd week of April, but I'm probably going to have to do so before the end of March this year. Not sure when the rain is expected to arrive this weekend, but I'll probably at least cut the high grass on Saturday morning if the rain holds off until after noon.

Agreed, first mowing before the rain this weekend. Need to gas it up first though.

72.8 in NW Chesco yesterday and only 58.1 this morning. Cooling degrees in March is a little ridiculous.

Have a dilemma with mowing, can't have the mower on the garden tractor at the same time as the snow plow

and it's a couple hour job to do the swap. Still thinking we get another measurable snow in early April.

Guess I'll just push mower the worst spots and see how it goes.

Yeah earliest I have ever dropped off our mower for its spring tune-up.

if it snows again no need to plow/shovel since it will melt the next day.

my last grass cut was the day before our 7" oct. snow.

i never cut grass in march and i will hold out!

i will not cave!

grass hasnt started growing here like others have so will make it to april no problem

grass hasnt started growing here like others have so will make it to april no problem

Well, yeah...grass has trouble growing in the Arctic tundra known as far NW Bucks County... :whistle:

And the growth I noted has really only occurred in the past 3 days...this past Saturday, there was very little growth anywhere on my lawn and I was absolutely certain I could make it to April without mowing. By late afternoon yesterday...much different story.

I am admittedly not a fan of yardwork...I know of people who are fanatical about mowing, gardening, trimming trees/hedges - really any type of landscaping work. I'd rather have an astroturf lawn.

if it snows again no need to plow/shovel since it will melt the next day.

my last grass cut was the day before our 7" oct. snow.

i never cut grass in march and i will hold out!

i will not cave!

An inch or two of soggy snow on the hill of my driveway and only the 4 wheel drive truck gets out.

I've had that numerous times in April. And there's the incredible 4/19/83 storm that dropped 8",

and yes most of it was gone on the next day.

Well, yeah...grass has trouble growing in the Arctic tundra known as far NW Bucks County... :whistle:

And the growth I noted has really only occurred in the past 3 days...this past Saturday, there was very little growth anywhere on my lawn and I was absolutely certain I could make it to April without mowing. By late afternoon yesterday...much different story.

I am admittedly not a fan of yardwork...I know of people who are fanatical about mowing, gardening, trimming trees/hedges - really any type of landscaping work. I'd rather have an astroturf lawn.

The tundra effect disappeared when we had nighttime lows in the 50's, the last two nights This has warmed the soil to near 52 degrees, which starts the cycle of grass growing and leaf production. Wait until we get rain showers this weekend and it is sixty degrees. The brown or light green grass will turn a deep green overnight and grow like hell. Many trees are budding and I expect them to begin leaf out after this weekend showers. My willows are starting to leaf out now since their roots are moisture driven from the nearby Little Lehigh Creek. I worry that we have not had a final frost or freeze. March flowers bring April frosts. Still dry though and until we get significant rainfall and a good frost, I would hesitate planting any new shrubbery. Great weather though for reseeding the yard

:lol: curious i havent seen any polar bears around however

Well im off today and was looking forward to the mostly sunny spring day in the forecast, but the drizzle to noon and still cloudy midafternoon really irked me, why excatly did this happen?

I need a meteorologist to suggest which day i should call out tomorrow or friday? Which has the best chance of burning of the crappy fog as this seems unpredictable

Only good thing about the first mowing of the season is that there are little to no rocks\gravel from the driveway in the grass from plowing!

Those things are like rockets when you hit them. Always have to be careful during that first mow.

I think we'll wait a bit. Seems like our yard it's coming in clumps! Weeds moreso than grass, hoepfully that changes after the weekend rain.

Only good thing about the first mowing of the season is that there are little to no rocks\gravel from the driveway in the grass from plowing!

Those things are like rockets when you hit them. Always have to be careful during that first mow.

I think we'll wait a bit. Seems like our yard it's coming in clumps! Weeds moreso than grass, hoepfully that changes after the weekend rain.

though it could be weeds, its probably the grass type and soil temperature. Grass responds to soil temeprature. During this time of year warmer the soil temperature the faster the grass will perk up. If you notice around rocks or buildings the grass has really taken off because those features create micoclimates. They hold in heating from the day thus making the soil temperature warmer. Some grasses perk up faster in spring then others which is why you get the clump like look also.

though it could be weeds, its probably the grass type and soil temperature. Grass responds to soil temeprature. During this time of year warmer the soil temperature the faster the grass will perk up. If you notice around rocks or buildings the grass has really taken off because those features create micoclimates. They hold in heating from the day thus making the soil temperature warmer. Some grasses perk up faster in spring then others which is why you get the clump like look also.

What about dog urine? that seems to be where my grass takes off first

What about dog urine? that seems to be where my grass takes off first

The strong urea content in dog urine burns the grass initially but will produce a nice nitrogen rich area where the grass will turn green first in the spring. However, if you continue to allow the dog to urinate on this nice green grass, it will burn again. Rainfall and especially snowfall also helps dilute the urea in the soil profile where you dog has urinated during the frozen soils of winter. Lime or baking soda will help heal the burn spots

Guys,

Try and keep the lawn talk in the lawn thread. It's quite boring to read for me and my perfect lawn

;-)

80's Friday anybody?

Also, some of the longer tame guidance isn't as anomalously warm as has been. Might be a return to a more normal mean for a little stretch.

Archived