wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV Banter thread

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am running a half marathon tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. Any chance this all clears out by then?

Its beautiful out now with clear skies but looks on radar almost like T-storms maybe 20 miles to my SW.

Looks to me like just some leftover showers tomorrow morning, with the bulk of the rain coming late this

afternoon and then overnight. Tomorrow doesn't look as wet as it did a couple days ago.

Per radar, I get wet by 11 this morning, then a few hour break this afternoon before it resumes.for the evening.

Lowes had vegetable plants for sale this morning and people were buying them. :(

I was at Lowes today as well and as someone was wheeling by with a cart full of flowers I said to my wife (half trolling)..."Honey, you know after our 80 on Friday's there's going to be a frost or freeze on Monday night?" Dude and wife that wheeled by stopped, looked at each other, then asked me what was up. Told them the scoop and said...I wouldn't plant those until after next weekend if I were you unless you have a bunch of blankets to put on top of them several times this week.

I never plant flowering things this early...I did plant some shrubs the other day though. :lol:

I'm not on one side of the fence or the other in terms of impending drought or not, and I know the current rain/shower event isn't complete, but it does seem to be underperforming from projections earlier this week (at least in my area). Any thoughts?

I'm not on one side of the fence or the other in terms of impending drought or not, and I know the current rain/shower event isn't complete, but it does seem to be underperforming from projections earlier this week (at least in my area). Any thoughts?

I agree that this current system has not produced much rain so far. I was thinking the radar would be showing much more than it currently is. The NAM had been showing less shower coverage and so far it looks to be right. We will have to see what happens through tonight. I think high pressure to the north had more of an influence of drilling down drier air farther south, and that has been eroding the bands of showers so far as they track northeastward.

I agree that this current system has not produced much rain so far. I was thinking the radar would be showing much more than it currently is. The NAM had been showing less shower coverage and so far it looks to be right. We will have to see what happens through tonight. I think high pressure to the north had more of an influence of drilling down drier air farther south, and that has been eroding the bands of showers so far as they track northeastward.

Could the convection down south be limiting the moisture further north?

That is possible, or a combination of this and the drier push of air from the north/northeast.

Thanks. Picked up .07 so far in Lambertville. We'll see what the rest of night brings. Looks like more to the east of here

I was at Lowes today as well and as someone was wheeling by with a cart full of flowers I said to my wife (half trolling)..."Honey, you know after our 80 on Friday's there's going to be a frost or freeze on Monday night?" Dude and wife that wheeled by stopped, looked at each other, then asked me what was up. Told them the scoop and said...I wouldn't plant those until after next weekend if I were you unless you have a bunch of blankets to put on top of them several times this week.

I never plant flowering things this early...I did plant some shrubs the other day though. :lol:

I've got lazier in my old age, I order the vegetable plants from Burpees, etc. so I am hoping that they are not going to send them to me earlier this year. They normally arrive around May 1st. Regardless I'll pot them inside and wait til then to plant them anyway. Vegetable (tomato/pepper/eggplants) plants dont do much until morning mins consistently stay above 50 anyway.

monday night

There will be a breeze. Hopefully to stir the air up a little bit to prevent damage. Sorry but I am getting really concerned about the extremely dry conditions. What good is planting if we are going to get scorched? The system entering CA may bring us some relief but the way the LP systems have been acting with the lows turning into closed lows over the midwest- good luck. I have never seen a closed low literally dry up over us before like this last one. wow. Time for drought watches to be issued if the west coast storm does not produce later this week.

There will be a breeze. Hopefully to stir the air up a little bit to prevent damage. Sorry but I am getting really concerned about the extremely dry conditions. What good is planting if we are going to get scorched? The system entering CA may bring us some relief but the way the LP systems have been acting with the lows turning into closed lows over the midwest- good luck. I have never seen a closed low literally dry up over us before like this last one. wow. Time for drought watches to be issued if the west coast storm does not produce later this week.

Drought watches do very little in reducing consumption.

post-623-0-30249000-1332693967.gif

As for the Delaware River Valley:

http://www.state.nj.us/drbc/hydrological/reservoirs/nyc/

You're starting early this year aren't you?

Post pics of the tumbleweeds when you get a chance.

Drought watches do very little in reducing consumption.

post-623-0-30249000-1332693967.gif

As for the Delaware River Valley:

http://www.state.nj....reservoirs/nyc/

I agree with you on the statement that they do little to reduce consumption. In fact, I believe they increase human consumption. Humans worry about their gardens and lawns being green and waste gallons of water trying to keep them green by their mismanaged watering practices. They also have the belief that if I water now before the warnings are issued, their yards will still be green when they are restricted (use or lose it attitude) People pride themselves on the greenest lawn. A prime example of that is in our grass/ lawn thread. Take away their right to water and see how pissed off they get. My point is not how dry the surface is----- it is how the groundwater tables will rapidly fall in the upcoming months when people do have to water in order to maintain their aesthetically green yard. In other words- it is not normal to water the grass from April to June in our area. When we start sucking up the groundwater to do this and we continue to have little to no rainfall to prevent irrigation- we will be going into the summer months with one hell of groundwater deficit. Base flows are already dropping now in the limestone geology streams and will start dropping in the sandstone/shale streams real soon. The NY reservoirs and the Lehigh County wells are not showing the human consumption end of the equation just yet. Wait until we get a full of week of sunshine and in the mid to upper 80's and not with the dreary marine layer. People instinctively do not water when is cloudy and cool.

I've got lazier in my old age, I order the vegetable plants from Burpees, etc. so I am hoping that they are not going to send them to me earlier this year. They normally arrive around May 1st. Regardless I'll pot them inside and wait til then to plant them anyway. Vegetable (tomato/pepper/eggplants) plants dont do much until morning mins consistently stay above 50 anyway.

I don't buy plants from Lowe's since 2 years ago when my tomatoes got totally wiped out from early blight. I heard the grower they use was responsible for the outbreak. I ordered plants from the

midwest where hopefully that isn't a problem. They said they would arrive between April 3rd and 17th. I'd look forward to getting a few ASAP to start in the cold frame which hasn't been going below 60 at night for the last couple weeks.

Sun finally out here in NW Chesco and temp has struggled up to 54.6.

I agree with you on the statement that they do little to reduce consumption. In fact, I believe they increase human consumption. Humans worry about their gardens and lawns being green and waste gallons of water trying to keep them green by their mismanaged watering practices. They also have the belief that if I water now before the warnings are issued, their yards will still be green when they are restricted (use or lose it attitude) People pride themselves on the greenest lawn. A prime example of that is in our grass/ lawn thread. Take away their right to water and see how pissed off they get. My point is not how dry the surface is----- it is how the groundwater tables will rapidly fall in the upcoming months when people do have to water in order to maintain their aesthetically green yard. In other words- it is not normal to water the grass from April to June in our area. When we start sucking up the groundwater to do this and we continue to have little to no rainfall to prevent irrigation- we will be going into the summer months with one hell of groundwater deficit. Base flows are already dropping now in the limestone geology streams and will start dropping in the sandstone/shale streams real soon. The NY reservoirs and the Lehigh County wells are not showing the human consumption end of the equation just yet. Wait until we get a full of week of sunshine and in the mid to upper 80's and not with the dreary marine layer. People instinctively do not water when is cloudy and cool.

Precipitation outlooks are not that skillful so its tough to make water management decisions based on them. At least in the near term (over the next two weeks or so) the position/forecast of the mjo and the teleconnection indices are leaning more toward normal temps for our area.

I don't buy plants from Lowe's since 2 years ago when my tomatoes got totally wiped out from early blight. I heard the grower they use was responsible for the outbreak. I ordered plants from the

midwest where hopefully that isn't a problem. They said they would arrive between April 3rd and 17th. I'd look forward to getting a few ASAP to start in the cold frame which hasn't been going below 60 at night for the last couple weeks.

Sun finally out here in NW Chesco and temp has struggled up to 54.6.

Everything got blighted, even the pepper plants, not going there ever again. I've done ok with the peppers/eggplants/tomatoes from Burpees and Harris. Nothing helped after the rain of last August, but I'm starting to have problems with those ugly looking leaf stink bugs. They just gravitate to my tomato plants. :angry:

Archived