Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tropopause_Fold

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely think this is the best looking situation I've seen to date this winter in terms of a Berkshire, southern Greens upslope snow event. We probably start briefly as rain showers early Friday morning before the front comes through and then flip over to snow as the temperatures crash. This could pave the way for a nasty flash freeze event along with moderate to heavy upslope snow showers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone around here picks up several inches of new snow by Saturday morning in these parts. Hopefully, it'll pan out this time as these events are tough to forecast locally. It depends a lot on things such as low-level moisture, lapse rates, wind speed, wind direction, and overall synoptic features such as vorticity advection and frontogenesis.

Hey Mitch, what are you thinking currently? Sure would be nice to put down a couple of inches of fluff on this nice base.

I think areas in the southern Greens and Berkshires have a good chance of getting a few inches of snow with both the FROPA and subsequent upslope tomorrow night. While most of the snow associated with the surface low rides northward to the west, the FROPA should produce some decent snow shower and squall activity as it passes through the area. Lower elevations will start as a rain/snow mix, but quickly flip to snow as the cold rushes in, yielding a coating to an inch. However, at and above 2K this could put down a quick 1-2". The FROPA could result in some flash freeze conditions for some during the morning and early afternoon hours.

After the frontal passage, I think S VT and the Berks will dryslot for a while since the WSW flow behind the front is not too favorable for upslope. However, given that there's quite a bit of low-level moisture hanging back and the winds turn more W and NW tomorrow night, I think the S VT and the Berks should get a few inches of powder tomorrow night and Saturday morning as the upslope builds down the spine of the Greens. The dendrite growth zone should lower considerably during the day tomorrow, so any "garbage" snow that occurs during the FROPA should get better with the upslope tomorrow night. These upslope events are often tough to forecast for S VT and points S, but I think someone in the favored areas (primarily above 2K) of S VT and northern Berks could get several inches (2-4", 4-6"?) of powder tomorrow night after whatever occurs from the FROPA. Elsewhere across S VT and the Berkshires a general 1-3" seems like a decent possibility. Of course, there's always that chance that this doesn't materialize as planned and it doesn't give anyone much more than an inch or two. However, I've seen these things over-perform too and someone gets a solid 6"+ event. The Greens from Killington on north look good for a sizeable upslope event, especially tomorrow night into early Saturday.

I think areas in the southern Greens and Berkshires have a good chance of getting a few inches of snow with both the FROPA and subsequent upslope tomorrow night. While most of the snow associated with the surface low rides northward to the west, the FROPA should produce some decent snow shower and squall activity as it passes through the area. Lower elevations will start as a rain/snow mix, but quickly flip to snow as the cold rushes in, yielding a coating to an inch. However, at and above 2K this could put down a quick 1-2". The FROPA could result in some flash freeze conditions for some during the morning and early afternoon hours.

After the frontal passage, I think S VT and the Berks will dryslot for a while since the WSW flow behind the front is not too favorable for upslope. However, given that there's quite a bit of low-level moisture hanging back and the winds turn more W and NW tomorrow night, I think the S VT and the Berks should get a few inches of powder tomorrow night and Saturday morning as the upslope builds down the spine of the Greens. The dendrite growth zone should lower considerably during the day tomorrow, so any "garbage" snow that occurs during the FROPA should get better with the upslope tomorrow night. These upslope events are often tough to forecast for S VT and points S, but I think someone in the favored areas (primarily above 2K) of S VT and northern Berks could get several inches (2-4", 4-6"?) of powder tomorrow night after whatever occurs from the FROPA. Elsewhere across S VT and the Berkshires a general 1-3" seems like a decent possibility. Of course, there's always that chance that this doesn't materialize as planned and it doesn't give anyone much more than an inch or two. However, I've seen these things over-perform too and someone gets a solid 6"+ event. The Greens from Killington on north look good for a sizeable upslope event, especially tomorrow night into early Saturday.

what elevation are you at in Lenox?

Not sure which thread to put this in, but in advance of the excitement of a frontal passage, we have another 2-hour delay this morning. I guess once we dropped into the 20's at noon yesterday, things never rebounded. So, a fair amount of zr-/fog have us on pretty trecherous roads. Mine's still snow-covered. As is my driveway now that I think of it. I'll have to do something about that this mroning.

29.4/29

Not sure which thread to put this in, but in advance of the excitement of a frontal passage, we have another 2-hour delay this morning. I guess once we dropped into the 20's at noon yesterday, things never rebounded. So, a fair amount of zr-/fog have us on pretty trecherous roads. Mine's still snow-covered. As is my driveway now that I think of it. I'll have to do something about that this mroning.

29.4/29

The ski shuttle is about to leave for N.VT. I walked down to the main road and it's totally glazed with snow and ice. Just got the 2 hr delay call here as well. Fortunately at 85mph on I-91N the tires will barely touch the ice so it will be hard to lose traction. Hoping to return home to some fresh fluff. We set tracks on all the x-c trails last night and thigs have set up nicely. A few inches of fluff will be nice frosting on the cake. Stout base building snow.

That bulge westward of the warmer temps through upstate NY is interesting. What's the cause for that? I'd have though a straighter progression.

Good question...

perhaps it's b/c the llvl flow is quite strong there...look where the 0C line is...on the colder side the flow is much lighter while on the warmer side they are much stronger.

or may topography has something to do with it.

Good question...

perhaps it's b/c the llvl flow is quite strong there...look where the 0C line is...on the colder side the flow is much lighter while on the warmer side they are much stronger.

or may topography has something to do with it.

I think optino 1 might be more on target (or at least it sounds good) as I can't figure how topography of the area would make that so. Regardless, it is a little interesting to see--and disappointing because that has me further from the cold. lol

Is the batch of precip coming through NY (which also has that bulge in it btw) post-frontal or ana-frontal?

I think optino 1 might be more on target (or at least it sounds good) as I can't figure how topography of the area would make that so. Regardless, it is a little interesting to see--and disappointing because that has me further from the cold. lol

Is the batch of precip coming through NY (which also has that bulge in it btw) post-frontal or ana-frontal?

might be ana-frontal...

associated with the low

Archived