• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tropopause_Fold

I know the focus in the short-term is on tomorrow's threat, so figured it's worth while to break off a thread for Friday's frontal passage. That's a pretty dynamic set-up. Biggest threat may be some extremely strong winds around the area. Soundings show very deep mixing and a strong westerly jet crossing the region. Also fairly unstable for a time so maybe a brief squall with some rain showers flipping to snow showers in some spots? Thunder?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the focus in the short-term is on tomorrow's threat, so figured it's worth while to break off a thread for Friday's frontal passage. That's a pretty dynamic set-up. Biggest threat may be some extremely strong winds around the area. Soundings show very deep mixing and a strong westerly jet crossing the region. Also fairly unstable for a time so maybe a brief squall with some rain showers flipping to snow showers in some spots? Thunder?

I didn't look at thunder potential, but went holy sh*t when I saw the winds down by you.

I didn't look at thunder potential, but went holy sh*t when I saw the winds down by you.

the GFS has really strong winds for most of SNE.

if you buy the GFS (the NAM has the deep mixing inland too just not quite as powerful with the westerly flow) verbatim it's absolutely howling all over the region Friday.

we'll see i guess. sometimes these things are over-modeled but i like the chcs of realizing some good CAA winds in this set-up.

the GFS has really strong winds for most of SNE.

if you buy the GFS (the NAM has the deep mixing inland too just not quite as powerful with the westerly flow) verbatim it's absolutely howling all over the region Friday.

we'll see i guess. sometimes these things are over-modeled but i like the chcs of realizing some good CAA winds in this set-up.

Good thread, interesting setup.

CCWeather, care to teach a little about that graph? Where is it and how do you read it?

sure that's a forecast sounding (vertical look at the atmosphere) basically for Chatham, MA for friday early afternoon.

so the point was looking at the low levels - that area from about 1000 mb to 850 mb +/- (marked on the left) which is essentially ground to about 4500' up or so (actually even higher on that sounding) - is really well mixed in this strong cold air advection regime friday afternoon. so in that set-up the lower atmosphere is able to turn over/mix easily and thus winds aloft can be transported downward to the surface at times. on the far right, those wind barbs correspond to the wind at any respective height in the atmosphere.

basically it just shows that there's a lot of wind available on friday.

we'll see how it goes.

sometimes we see these things back off a bit as we get really close to "go time" but most guidance has this general theme right now.

the GFS is really bullish and would be 50 to 60 mph winds for a lot of SNE.

CCWeather, care to teach a little about that graph? Where is it and how do you read it?

Not to step on his toes, but I might be able to help. It's a SKEW-T or upper air chart for the coords at the top and valid at 18Z or about 1PM on Friday.

You can get the map here:

http://www.twisterda...e&archive=false

Click on the map and the SKEW-T will come up.

The RED line is the temperature at the given altitude. BLUE is the Wet-bulb temperature and GREEN is the dew point.

I hope that helps. There's also a Meteorology 101 forum if you're looking to learn.

I really don't know what is going to happen up here in Central NH. Will it be cold enough for snow when the front comes through? Will it be heavy snow squalls with westerly gale force winds with a quick 1-2" or will the front come through with above freezing temps? I have 1100 feet of elevation in the Plymouth NH area so will be interesting to see!!

Archived