• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
This Is How We Know It Has Been a Mild Winter

vortex95

In the 1988-89 winter (a lot like this one so far), I saw daffodil buds coming up on Jan 31st.

Given this winter is milder, I expected to see daffodil buds sprouting by Jan 15th. Well, I

checked yesterday, and they were already there! Given their growth, they unquestionably first

showed up in late Dec...amazing!

Some pix. This is right outside work in Andover.

http://home.comcast....plusa/buds1.jpg

http://home.comcast....plusa/buds2.jpg

Video.

CoastalWx will not be happy about this! :)

FYI...1988-89 was the second lowest season snowfall for my area in 120 years of records.

Here's how it went:

Oct - T

Nov - 0

Dec - 2.7

Jan - 2.2

Feb - 6.5

Mar- 4.0

Apr - 1.0

---------------

Total - 16.4"

Normal is about 55".

I've seen it, in sun torched areas with dark mulch. Happened in Jan 2007 too.

In January 2007, the. Cherry blossoms on the south lawn of St Elizabeth's hospital were in full bloom. I think I need to stroll through the neighborhoods today to check things out. Second half of January looks much colder increasingly on guidance.

In the 1988-89 winter (a lot like this one so far), I saw daffodil buds coming up on Jan 31st.

Given this winter is milder, I expected to see daffodil buds sprouting by Jan 15th. Well, I

checked yesterday, and they were already there! Given their growth, they unquestionably first

showed up in late Dec...amazing!

Some pix. This is right outside work in Andover.

http://home.comcast....plusa/buds1.jpg

http://home.comcast....plusa/buds2.jpg

Video.

CoastalWx will not be happy about this! :)

FYI...1988-89 was the second lowest season snowfall for my area in 120 years of records.

Here's how it went:

Oct - T

Nov - 0

Dec - 2.7

Jan - 2.2

Feb - 6.5

Mar- 4.0

Apr - 1.0

---------------

Total - 16.4"

Normal is about 55".

Here's something that some may find interesting ... Post the late October cold snap and unseasonable snow storm, the weather turned milder as we know. The ground thawed after briefly freezing (pretty much on top of the event), and days started routinely registering 55-60F type highs (I think there was 70F DP at one time in there, too) with lows above freezing.

I Met friend and I are into Disk Golf, which is of course and outdoor sport requiring wondering around 1.5 miles or so of wilderness to pursue the course(s). Later on in mid November during an outing, we saw a lot of bushes with buds swelling - yes, in mid November! I also notice that the sugar maple in my backyard that had taken a big hit with timbre loss from the snow storm, had also not only budded, but a few of buds even split just before T-Giving!

It was as if for a few species of foliage, they were duped into thinking that winter had come and passed by those events of late October ...then followed by relative balm. Unsure of that...but that budding behavior of said maple has since entered stasis.

I recall growing up in Michigan, D. shoots and even Crocus shoots often did split the top soil in early February just past the annual mid to late January thaw. This, however, is different.

I remember 88-89 like it was yesterday. I logged just over a foot for the entire season and that included a six inch snowstorm in early Dec and a three inch snowfall in mid March.

Were you living in Springfield at that time? I was at Lyndon at the time but my Dad kept my weather record going and I had about 22" that winter and only had about 6" through the end of January. The largest storm was 3" which happened in February and in April. Do you know what you had in 1980 or in 2002?

We had some crappy winters from '89 through '92 but I really think the analog here is a combo of 1980 and 2002. I know some places did better for snow in 2002 but all around it was a very mild winter. Places in the mid-atlantic never had a hard freeze and we routinely had mild weather with brief periods of cold. I think the coldest temps that we saw was 9°. 1980 was drier and little colder.

I think we should all take comfort in knowing that this winter has been snowier than the least snowiest winters and that we have seen colder temps than in those winters and we still have a lot of time to go!

Archived