Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part I

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its possible that the signal that the GFS sees in the long range is actually more of a reflection of the favorable conditions relative to this time of the year that will be developing in the East Pacific. I think its far more likely that we will see TCG take place in the East Pacific, perhaps from vorticity originating in the Caribbean. Its interesting that the GFS is playing with the vorticity post 192 hour spatial truncation which is resulting in a much larger area of 850 hPa vorticity than the area before spatial truncation. My hunch is that enhancement is bogus.

121bqdi.png

It's difficult for me to tell, but it seems like the EC ensembles are hinting at something east of the Yucatan too. Nothing like the GEFS, but I was looking at precip probs to see if it tries to match the MSLP prog and it looked like it agreed. Still, it's a weak signal.

Interesting to note that the models continue to show something out in the day 7-15 period, with the GFS still the most bullish east of the Yucatan, while the EC/ECENS hints at something more east of FL. Looks more ST as has been discussed but could eventually become more tropical if something were to get going given the water temperatures. Still not a high probability obviously, but something to keep an eye on. And May systems are of course not unheard of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Able_(1951)

Wow, when you take a step back you realize just how small that thing is! :blink:

It really looks no different then some of those Mediterranean "hurricanes" that form within a larger cyclonic envelope.

In fact, come to think of it, it likely is no different.

It's already clearly "tropical", the hurricane center has never been very good at responding quickly when it comes to genesis. They say they do it to reduce false storms, but they take way too much liberty with that.

There is a time threshold definition that is required for the continued production of deep convection over the center of circulation. While the storm did look very tropical earlier today, the convection has waned recently and looks less organized currently. I don't think the organization of the storm persisted long enough today to fit the qualifications of a TC.

Archived