Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part I

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike 92L the convection with this system is going on 12+ hours of persistence. This fact + the very impressive ASCAT pass strongly suggest we are looking at our first STS or TS of the season. Unless convection completely falls apart inthe next 6 hours, the NHC is probably ready to pull the trigger.

Despite the sub 80 SSTs, the upper level environment is much colder than normal. It's the temperature gradient of the SST vs. the Upper level cirrus canopy of the storm that matter more than SSTs alone. Kudos to the HRRR which preformed excellently with the storm while the rest of the global guidence was out to lunch with this system.

Unlike 92L the convection with this system is going on 12+ hours of persistence. This fact + the very impressive ASCAT pass strongly suggest we are looking at our first STS or TS of the season. Unless convection completely falls apart inthe next 6 hours, the NHC is probably ready to pull the trigger.

Despite the sub 80 SSTs, the upper level environment is much colder than normal. It's the temperature gradient of the SST vs. the Upper level cirrus canopy of the storm that matter more than SSTs alone. Kudos to the HRRR which preformed excellently with the storm while the rest of the global guidence was out to lunch with this system.

That's a good point. People always think of tropical systems embedded in waters of 80+. Most of the time this is the case, but it can have warm core characteristics and behave like a TC with the conditions you just mentioned. Latent heat machines.

Is El Niño coming? I'm beginning to have doubts...May has seen the -PDO restrengthen, and the western ENSO regions cool

post-29-0-08261800-1337577387_thumb.gif

Also, early in the month we had a -NAO period, which helped the TNA region warm a bit...and we are probably entering a stronger -NAO period for May's last week, with models showing a very weak and displaced Azores high, which if it turns out correct, would warm the (Atlantic) tropics significantly in just a few days.

Back to ENSO, easterlies near the dateline continue unabated, though weaker in the forecasts, and the eastern regions will probably warm a bit. But no strong WWBs in sight...I'm currently giving mod-strong Niño less chances than a return to a Niña.

post-29-0-17090600-1337577820_thumb.png

Latest models still show a Niño for later this year, but I'm getting a little skeptic, and neutral is looking a more plausible scenario right now.

Not sure what it is based on, but LC sees a potential Louisiana/Central Gulf threat early June from the Caribbean. But he gives equal chances, it would seem, to mega-hot ridge dominating entire Southern US Texas to Georgia.

Probably the remnants soon-to-be Bud, which both the Euro and GFS are redeveloping in the BoC somehow (and probably merging with some pre-existing disturbance).

^^ Euro not on board (looks interesting Day 9, but that is so far away) and NWS HGX has words of wisdom.

NOT BUYING GFS SOLUTION IN LONG RANGE OF LOOP-D-LOOPING SFC LOW

RETURNING FROM THE ATLANTIC...PREFER ECMWF LIKE SOLUTION OF

CONTINUING TROUGHING OUT THAT WAY. AS A WISE FCSTR ONCE SAID ABOUT

THE LONG RANGE TROPICS...IF IT AINT IN THE ECMWF YET I AINT

BELIEVING IT. GOOD WORDS GENERALLY. 04

^^ Euro not on board (looks interesting Day 9, but that is so far away) and NWS HGX has words of wisdom.

Not a big difference Euro shows an inverted troff GFS shows a 1010mb POS TS. Just details IMO, FL will either get rain or rain.

However when the Euro shows nothing it means if a storm does form it has almost 0 potential of making it to hurricane stregnth.

Unrelated to 94L.

I am slightly more bullish on Hurricane Season, despite a Tweet from Joe Bastardi yesterday that he was more confident than ever in an abnormally low ACE season with few if any long trackers. New Euro long range would support that, but 1) takeway from ENSO thread, looks like the forecasts of a moderate to strongly warm ENSO was a little premature, and a weak to moderatel warm ENSO should be in place during August-September prime time. And Atlantic SST anomalies in MDR aren't freakishly cold. I saw someone on another thread saying he predicted 21 storms and 6 majors. Well, probably not. But I can see a slightly below to near normal season with a long tracker or two.

Not claiming Jorge/Don Sutherland level expertise (I read the ENSO discussions and try to summarize in my own head what they are concluding, but I don't claim complete understanding) but I am a little more optimistic than some of the season cancel people.

post-138-0-23767500-1337786457_thumb.gif

post-138-0-35323800-1337786471_thumb.gif

I posted the following just now in the ENSO thread fwiw in case anyone is interested who doesn't read that thread much:

I also think that what is occurring now bodes at least a little better for those who don't want a weak hurricane season as far as the MDR is concerned. I've found that there does seem to be a decent + and perhaps somewhat leading (say perhaps by a few weeks) correlation between the SOI and MDR activity. Although there are other factors to consider, the July and August SOI's will be important for the heart of the season MDRwise in my opinion based on history. If the current SOI trend is any indication, the chances are increasing that the July and August SOI's won't be solidly negative. We'll see.

Unrelated to 94L.

I am slightly more bullish on Hurricane Season, despite a Tweet from Joe Bastardi yesterday that he was more confident than ever in an abnormally low ACE season with few if any long trackers. New Euro long range would support that, but 1) takeway from ENSO thread, looks like the forecasts of a moderate to strongly warm ENSO was a little premature, and a weak to moderatel warm ENSO should be in place during August-September prime time. And Atlantic SST anomalies in MDR aren't freakishly cold. I saw someone on another thread saying he predicted 21 storms and 6 majors. Well, probably not. But I can see a slightly below to near normal season with a long tracker or two.

Not claiming Jorge/Don Sutherland level expertise (I read the ENSO discussions and try to summarize in my own head what they are concluding, but I don't claim complete understanding) but I am a little more optimistic than some of the season cancel people.

ENSO is becoming more of a neutral factor, but relative SSTAs still suck

Archived