Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part I

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB on Twitter- WeatherHell PPV subscribers can get details of pre-June 15th El Nino type close in non-tropical to tropical development.

If we could do 2001 all over again, but cut it back by about 2/3rds, that would be a good thing. Full 15 or 20 inches, the lawn is too wet to mow for many days, its past knee high when mowable, and ripping up carpets and sheetrock is no fun.

And, more importantly, Josh isn't going to appreciate any hybrid/open on the West side 45 knot storm anyway.

JB on Twitter- WeatherHell PPV subscribers can get details of pre-June 15th El Nino type close in non-tropical to tropical development.

If we could do 2001 all over again, but cut it back by about 2/3rds, that would be a good thing. Full 15 or 20 inches, the lawn is too wet to mow for many days, its past knee high when mowable, and ripping up carpets and sheetrock is no fun.

And, more importantly, Josh isn't going to appreciate any hybrid/open on the West side 45 knot storm anyway.

Assuming there really is going to be an El Nino, June actually has averaged above climo norms in terms of # of storms during or in advance of El Nino's. July and beyond average below the norm. The weaker the Nino, the less the quieting effect on average, which is intuitive Actually, 2004 and 1969 were weak El Nino seasons, but they were VERY active. So, if I were Josh or another hurricane enthusiast, I'd be hoping for a weak El Nino as opposed to a stronger one. I'd also be hoping for a less negative SOI for especially July-Sept.

Assuming there really is going to be an El Nino, June actually has averaged above climo norms in terms of # of storms during or in advance of El Nino's. July and beyond average below the norm. The weaker the Nino, the less the quieting effect on average. Actually, 2004 and 1969 were weak El Nino seasons, but they were VERY active.

If the high pressures predicted by the european model pan out i think it might be quite hard to have a high number season.

My new rules for scoring hurricane seasons.

TD: 0pts

TS <60MPH: 1/4 pts

TS> 60MPH: 1/2 pts

Hurricane: 1pts

Cat 3+ Hurricane: 2pts

Cat 5 Hurricane: 3pts

I'll add up the totals at the end of the season and compare it to other seasons if it's even worthy

My new rules for scoring hurricane seasons.

TD: 0pts

TS <60MPH: 1/4 pts

TS> 60MPH: 1/2 pts

Hurricane: 1pts

Cat 3+ Hurricane: 2pts

Cat 5 Hurricane: 3pts

I'll add up the totals at the end of the season and compare it to other seasons if it's even worthy

An interesting concept, but it seems there ought to be a factor for size and duration. ACE anyone?

An interesting concept, but it seems there ought to be a factor for size and duration. ACE anyone?

They already have an ACE rating, so I thought I'd come up with something that can be calculated quickly without a computer.

the SOI has been positive the last 3 days. i remain optimistic about the soon to come hurricane season.

2012127at.jpg

2010127at.jpg

2009127at.jpg

:(

Silver lining is that ENSO is not warming dramatically, and models will be too warm, at least early on their predictions. I still stay put for an ASO trimonthly neutral warm...and a peak at nothing above weak El Niño in winter.

Usually El Niños have higher than normal SLPs across the tropical Atlantic basin, but they have been countered by warmer than normal SSTs since 1995. 2009, 2006, 2004 and 1997 had lower pressures in the subtropics, but near normal to just slightly above in the tropics...same for 1994... 1993 was higher than normal across the tropics. The last season that had higher than normal SLP across most of the tropical Atlantic, like what the Euro has been showing was 1992.

post-29-0-27427100-1336414567_thumb.png

Usually El Niños have higher than normal SLPs across the tropical Atlantic basin, but they have been countered by warmer than normal SSTs since 1995. 2009, 2006, 2004 and 1997 had lower pressures in the subtropics, but near normal to just slightly above in the tropics...same for 1994... 1993 was higher than normal across the tropics. The last season that had higher than normal SLP across most of the tropical Atlantic, like what the Euro has been showing was 1992.

Just so everyone sees this, Jorge is saying we're going to have another Andrew this year.

At least.

Remember, it just takes one :violin:

:D

That "remember" reminder is a good thing, lest the entire board stop watching the weather until June 2013 and a hurricane takes them by surprise.

Latest 16 day GFS shows an almost closed off low in the Carla Cradle.

post-29-0-27427100-1336414567_thumb.png

if this is what the euro is depicting for this summer isnt it at odds with alot of peoples temp forecasts? that shows higher than normal pressures over the eastern half of the nation which i would think would lead to above normal temps and below normal precip. yet, i have been hearing it will be a cool summer in alot of the east.

if this is what the euro is depicting for this summer isnt it at odds with alot of peoples temp forecasts? that shows higher than normal pressures over the eastern half of the nation which i would think would lead to above normal temps and below normal precip. yet, i have been hearing it will be a cool summer in alot of the east.

Tropics

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/31496-atlantic-tropical-action-2012-part-i/page__st__210__p__1535144#entry1535144

Archived