Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part I

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually not the longest on record. As per official NHC records, the 1860s saw an even longer period: 1861-1868.

Even so, it sure feels like the longest! :lol:

This tidbit interested me greatly during previous discussion last season. A few chuckles I had knowing that the our US Civil War was able to proceed unimpeded from the tropics.

I've grown to not care too much about seasonal predictions.

1. They're often not terribly accurate.

2. Even active seasons can be craptastic in terms of quality systems.

3. Even active seasons can be craptastic in terms of quality landfalls.

4. Some of the hawtest landfalls ever have happened in craptastic seasons (i.e., 1977, 1992).

5. There's always the EPAC-- the perpetual insurance policy for crappy NATL seasons.

So this hand-wringing over the ENSO state in three months is a big whatevz to me.

1. Absolutely

2. Absolutely

3. Absolutely

4. Absolutely

5. LOL

Believe it or not, I recognized it by its structure-- the system was large but the core was small and perfect, and the eye was tiny. It had a distinct look at peak intensity. Mega-hawt.

Some of my friends and I used to play a game where we would find a random satellite picture of a storm anywhere in the world (like from GIBBS), crop out the timestamp and lat/long lines, and everybody else tries to guess which storm it was based on its structure and sometimes the land areas it's near.

I feel like that would be fun to do here. New thread in the making?

Some of my friends and I used to play a game where we would find a random satellite picture of a storm anywhere in the world (like from GIBBS), crop out the timestamp and lat/long lines, and everybody else tries to guess which storm it was based on its structure and sometimes the land areas it's near.

I feel like that would be fun to do here. New thread in the making?

Totally! Back on Eastern Wx, someone made a thread exactly like that and it was awesome. Go for it, dude!

Verification for 2011 has been posted:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/verification/pdfs/Verification_2011.pdf

Congrats to the ECMWF and GFS deterministic model runs.

The op GFS was actually more skillful than the GFS ensemble. I'm not too surprised, considering how many small, disorgaized systems we had this year, that the GFS ensemble probably had a lot of trouble resolving at lower resolution.

Also, while they define the ECMWF ensemble as the EEMN, I saw no mention of it's verification in the report (in a quick run-through). Subjectively, I would say that it performed quite well last season.

Actually, there are good possibilities of one of those freakish years where both basins (EPac and Atl) can be below normal...TNA is tanking and -PDO and North Equatorial current are way too cold for the EPac...probably one of the coldest wrt the Mexican coastal SSTs in the last 30years

Actually, there are good possibilities of one of those freakish years where both basins (EPac and Atl) can be below normal...TNA is tanking and -PDO and North Equatorial current are way too cold for the EPac...probably one of the coldest wrt the Mexican coastal SSTs in the last 30years

Or it might be one of those typical years where you misread the signals. :guitar:

Texas drought cancel. No dry Don...:P

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.osdpd.noa...t.3.15.2012.gif

I am noticing the pacific looks like it has cooled again and looks like a la nina. I also have seen the SOI remain positive for awhile. i saw one person say 2002 is a good analog to this cane season but in 2002 the pacific was much warmer in march and had an el nino look. do you feel an el nino is less likely now and would neutral conditions mean a busy cane season?

this is march 2002

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2002/anomnight.3.18.2002.gif

Check out my latest video creation: iCyclone10.

It takes you on a mad dash through my last 10 chases in just 6 minutes, showing only a few sexy clips from each cyclone-- sort of like a "greatest hits" piece! Oh, and I slapped a fun intro on it. B)

(It's actually a promo piece for that compilation DVD that's coming out this summer-- I swear it. :) )

Oh, if you like it, please click Like on YouTube. :wub:

Archived