Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part I

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:popcorn:

SPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

645 PM EST SUN FEB 5 2012

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

A NON-TROPICAL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM INTERACTING WITH AN UPPER-LEVEL

TROUGH IS PRODUCING WIDESPREAD CLOUDINESS...SHOWERS...AND SCATTERED

THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS MUCH OF WESTERN AND CENTRAL CUBA...THE LOWER

FLORIDA KEYS...AND ADJACENT WATERS OF THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN

SEA...SOUTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO...AND THE FLORIDA STRAITS. THE

LOW IS CENTERED JUST WEST OF THE WESTERN TIP OF CUBA...AND A

SURFACE CIRCULATION CENTER IS GRADUALLY BECOMING BETTER DEFINED.

SHOWER ACTIVITY HAS BEEN SLOWLY INCREASING AND HAS BECOME BETTER

ORGANIZED TODAY...AND IF THIS DEVELOPMENT TREND CONTINUES...THEN A

SUBTROPICAL DEPRESSION OR A SUBTROPICAL STORM COULD FORM DURING THE

NEXT DAY OR SO BEFORE THE DISTURBANCE MERGES WITH A COLD FRONT.

THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...30 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A

SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES SLOWLY

NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD TONIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING...BEFORE TURNING

NORTHEASTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH TOWARD SOUTH FLORIDA AND THE FLORIDA

KEYS BY MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. REGARDLESS OF DEVELOPMENT...

THIS SYSTEM WILL LIKELY BRING LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND STRONG

GUSTY WINDS TO PORTIONS OF THE FLORIDA KEYS AND SOUTH FLORIDA OVER

THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS SYSTEM CAN

BE FOUND IN OFFSHORE WATERS FORECASTS ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE...UNDER AWIPS HEADER MIAOFFNT3 AND WMO HEADER FZNT24

KNHC...AND ALSO IN PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE FORECAST OFFICE. ADDITIONAL SPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER

OUTLOOKS WILL BE ISSUED AS NEEDED.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE

NEXT 48 HOURS.

$$

FORECASTER STEWART

There is an invest for a naked swirl in the south Atlantic.

South of the Equator South Atlantic? It would be the season for the rare Catarina-ish storm.

I don't see anything at the NRL satellite site or http://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/tcweb/ , not yet, anyway...

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/global/mediterranean/vapor/20120212.2200.msg2.wv.fd.x.jpg has nothing obvious South of the Equator...

I know nothing of long lead time season outlooking, but a forecast neutral to warm (but not excessively warm) ENSO and most of the Atlantic at or above average temperature, I am more than glass half full more interesting than last season, I doubt the same number of TCs, but I suspect closer to North America, and a better ration of hurricanes to named storms.

post-138-0-87191900-1329632874.jpg

This would imply a high pressure regime? Looks pretty la nina'ish with the strong bermuda high. Last year, Euro was forecasting below normal MSLP and look how that worked out...

1. That is a May-June-July image, so it doesn't have much bearing on the heart of tropical season and 2. the European model forecast for lower than normal MSLP in the basin verified quite nicely last year, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

1. That is a May-June-July image, so it doesn't have much bearing on the heart of tropical season and 2. the European model forecast for lower than normal MSLP in the basin verified quite nicely last year, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Here is the forecast june/august predicting well above pressures just about basin wide. (Not pretty) Just takes one as always.

seasonal_charts_public_mslp!mean%20sea%20level%20pressure!4%20months!South%20America!201202!tercile%20summary!chart.gif

Just for comparison purposes here is what it forcasted last season at peak around the same time frame.

seasonal_charts_public_mslp!mean%20sea%20level%20pressure!1%20month!South%20America!201108!tercile%20summary!chart.gif

I'm getting at the distinct lack of gulf hurricanes and major hurricanes, as well as the late-start of the season. Serious biz....and thanks for bringing up the timeframe of the map, I completely overlooked that.

:facepalm:

Riptide take a look again i updated the mslp maps.

Yeah, I'm still not all that interested in JJA, since it's well documented that June and July don't have much bearing on ASO hurricane activity, but that certainly doesn't give warm fuzzies about where we're headed. FWIW, the GFDL seasonal model is showing a below normal season, too.

Riptide take a look again i updated the mslp maps.

Interesting, hard to put faith in such long-range forecasts and if it's the opposite of what happened last year, that's progress...

I know, climatologically, last year was above normal but it underperformed in relation to my expectations and previous years, a black cat per se in a decade full of strong hurricanes.

Yeah, I'm still not all that interested in JJA, since it's well documented that June and July don't have much bearing on ASO hurricane activity, but that certainly doesn't give warm fuzzies about where we're headed. FWIW, the GFDL seasonal model is showing a below normal season, too.

Below warm AMO normal or seriously below normal?

Archived