EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part I

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And he won't bring any insights.

No, he didn't. BTW, JB Twitter about STS. I don't subscribe, I think he is describing a stacked low, which judging from GFS ( Canadian also has it to a lesser degree) shear fields never gets out from under an upper low.

Probably not even a name waster.

FSU phase diagram, it makes a run towards warm core, never quite gets there, dies.

post-138-0-02530800-1334232564.gif

yeah, tis the time of year when even dreams of inevitable Cape Verde teasers dance lovingly in the air ;)

:lmao:

Omg. Can't believe you said that.

P.S. Jorge (wxmx) told me the other day that he's expecting a slow-ish season, but that the activity should be closer to home, rather than Cape Verde systems-- which I would be cool with, given my deep, white-hot hatred for Cape Verde systems. :D

i dont feel as pessimistic as many seem to. 13 named storm, 8 hurricanes, and 3/4 majors seems about right.

That sounds more like it. I'm going to hope you're right! :)

SOI is up to +29.7 and has been positive for last 7 days.

The monthly averaged SOI's will be intereresting to follow through the summer as there seems to be a partial positive correlation between it and MDR Atlantic tropical activity with not too much of a lag.

If we do have the slowest season in 16 years, or maybe even 30 years, and the Atlantic and East Pac are completely dead, I think that would be special in its own way. Reminds me of the hope I had last Summer about breaking our 100ºF consecutive days record.

post-138-0-98646600-1334941010.gif

post-138-0-80348100-1334941022.gif

12Z Canadian came fairly close to spinning up a ersatz hybrid low just East of Florida in 5 days. Yes, that is grasping for straws, but this means the season of the Canadian spinning up spurious storms for Miami and New Orleans can't be much more than a month away.

In somewhat more likely to be accurate computer modelling/tropical news...

post-138-0-70151000-1335391262.gif

12Z Canadian came fairly close to spinning up a ersatz hybrid low just East of Florida in 5 days. Yes, that is grasping for straws, but this means the season of the Canadian spinning up spurious storms for Miami and New Orleans can't be much more than a month away.

In somewhat more likely to be accurate computer modelling/tropical news...

lol

Complete opposite of the past two seasons.

In my opinion, there's no way we beat the cr@piest season in recent memory.

800px-1997_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

lol

Complete opposite of the past two seasons.

In my opinion, there's no way we beat the cr@piest season in recent memory.

Well... 1997 sucked, but 1982-1983 was pretty horrific also. Alicia was cool and redeemed 1983 to some degree-- but that one event aside, there was simply nothing even remotely cool about those two years.

From a purely scientific perspective, Danny was pretty cool. It intensified into a hurricane basically in Mobile Bay despite rolling into 20-25 kts of shear.

Most awesome lightning show when the MCS dropped South through Lafayette on its way to the Gulf. Small market (but good) met Rob Perillo identified that as a possible non-tropical system that had potential. I got to enjoy watching that develop, then driving to Venice to go offshore less than a week after danny hit.

There is a bit of deeper convection firing in the SW Caribbean this morning with a hint of mid/upper level spin. Perhaps this will be the next area to watch for an eventual invest. We will see.

It's been clear in the modeling that the old upper level low would produce deep convection over the Caribbean, but it is all dynamically driven aloft, thanks to the right entrance of a jet streak overhead.

wg8shr.GIF

Besides the swirl around Florida apparently modelled by the GFS/Canadian earlier this week that could rain a bit on Louisiana in a couple of days, something way out in the middle of nowhere? Well, potential would be limited by SSTs around or below 20º ...But end of April/beginning of May, have to get excited over little things

20.jpg

But the GFS does have a weak anticyclone over the top of a deep surface low...

post-138-0-55861600-1335721831.gif

That swirl over Florida does seem like a hybrid system. Regardless of what it is it's gonna dump tons of rain on SE Florida. I just called my parents and warned them about the incoming deluge, GFS shows 5-10". This might cause windy conditions too, already seeing gusts over 25 mph on the coast.

Archived