Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/1-1/4 Lake Effect Snow Outbreak

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to sauble beach every year in summer to camp for 10 days. According to the weather network up there, they average 167 inches per year of snow. I have a hard time believing they receive that much though, looks like mistype....Here is great website!

http://www.currentre...ual-average.php

I think those snow totals are quite realistic. Sauble is right on L. Huron, and they can get squalls from every wind direction except the east. Our snow totals here in London pale beside what they get north of us..................

I think those snow totals are quite realistic. Sauble is right on L. Huron, and they can get squalls from every wind direction except the east. Our snow totals here in London pale beside what they get north of us..................

All this snow will be gone by Saturday anyways. I'd rather have it stick around for a little bit at least...

Awesome Pics BuffaloBumble!!! Thanks for sharing. Sure makes my videos up here in Cheektowaga look measly. And I agree with you they should have no problem at all seeing 2 feet or more down there because once that arctic front goes by the ratios will sky rocket. Bet someone will see 5"/hr rates even though it may not last long. And Ayuud this winter is offically your fault. since you started posting about how your area cant get any snow it seems youve cursed the entire metro area. Things better change tonight or else...! lol jk

Awesome Pics BuffaloBumble!!! Thanks for sharing. Sure makes my videos up here in Cheektowaga look measly. And I agree with you they should have no problem at all seeing 2 feet or more down there because once that arctic front goes by the ratios will sky rocket. Bet someone will see 5"/hr rates even though it may not last long. And Ayuud this winter is offically your fault. since you started posting about how your area cant get any snow it seems youve cursed the entire metro area. Things better change tonight or else...! lol jk

Thanks - I started a "WNY Lake Effect" event topic in the photo forum and posted some more pics there. Hopefully others in WNY/CNY getting in on the action will post some pics there.

i curse bad luck everywhere i go srsly lmao..

Yeah looks like crap.. Shifting south, but very weak...inland penetration is meager now.

Maybe they will have just enough to get some to Herkimer. ALY did put them in a LES Warning.

Well...the forecasted lake Ontario band is reorienting south about as shown on nwp

....however intensity is putrid...flurries here. The sense of #FAIL is palpable...

Radar for the LES event is pretty crappy to say the least right now. Little to no organized banding across Pennsylvania and unorganized activity also across New York state. We will have to see what happens as the flow shifts to the northwest, but high resolution guidance including the HRRR is not enthused at all.

I spent some time volunteering on a farm near Owen Sound in January 2005 through WWOOF Canada, beautiful area and incredibly snowy. The Bruce Peninsula definitely has some interesting snowfall climatology especially with the Niagara Escarpment cutting through the area and allowing for changes in snowfall amounts with elevation. Great place all in all.

Lake Ontario is currently re-establishing a W-E oriented double band right now...., and it actually looks fairly healthy.

post-912-0-05560700-1325545283.gif

However, there appears to finally be a distinct wind shift showing up on the King City radar, with a strong orientation of bands in the direction of NNW to SSE and discrete precip cells moving SSE.

http://www.weatherof...x_e.html?id=WKR

What this means is that some locations North of 'cuse will score a quick 2-4" before the entire band moves laterally south and crashes the south shore of the lake. After that, we'll finally establish a true multi-band NW wind setup with very high ratio snow but many other possible issues to contend with.

Love this radar. It clearly shows the wind shift across the entire great lakes. Look at that band of Lake Michigan! And the other across Georgian Bay! Its cutting right across Ontario picking up more moisture. Looks like Niagara Frontier could possibly get in on the NW/NNW orientation with the strong winds off of the Bay. Cross your fingers Devin!

http://www.wivb.com/...adar#25955299-4

Make sure to click the Northeast viewing area as well...

Love this radar. It clearly shows the wind shift across the entire great lakes. Look at that band of Lake Michigan! And the other across Georgian Bay! Its cutting right across Ontario picking up more moisture. Looks like Niagara Frontier could possibly get in on the NW/NNW orientation with the strong winds off of the Bay. Cross your fingers Devin!

http://www.wivb.com/...adar#25955299-4

Make sure to click the Northeast viewing area as well...

Fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes and everything else that can possibly be crossed will be. Im beyond desperate for snow. Its so sad im saying this but 3" would make me ecstatic.

KALB

CURRENT FORECAST IN DECENT AGREEMENT WITH CURRENT OBSERVATIONS AND

TRENDS THROUGH TONIGHT. SNOW BANDS NOT VERY ORGANIZED NOW...BUT

ONCE THE FRONT TRACKS THROUGH...BANDS SHOULD GET MORE ORGANIZED.

TIMING OF THE WIND SHIFT AND THE FALLING TEMPERATURES SEEMS ON

TARGET...AND WILL WAIT FOR 00Z DATA FOR ANOTHER GRID ADJUSTMENT

LATER THIS EVENING. SO FEW CHANGES AT THIS TIME IF ANY.

Pretty much as advertised here...at least as far as no. 'cues area...we've picked up close to 2" w/ band that has formed...expecting it to broom south soon...we'll see from here.

Snowing quite nicely down here in Bayberry (L'pool). Geo. Bay connection is in place, which can wreak havoc with forecasting positioning wrt modeling (they don't do great with placements of "megabands"). This arctic air coming in after the "sweep" is quite moist and is arriving at a time when the lakes are as warm as they can be for such a cold airmass (ie delta's will be spectacular.) Should be a nice pouring of flakes for many...not super intense, but a spread the love type scenario tomorrow.

Fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes and everything else that can possibly be crossed will be. Im beyond desperate for snow. Its so sad im saying this but 3" would make me ecstatic.

that radar is great, I hope that the band continues into the rochester area. looks maybe like it's gonna set up west of us. where the advisory is? LOL.

Archived