• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/1-1/4 Lake Effect Snow Outbreak

Muskoka ..north of Lake Simcoe must get a lot. Nice area I have heard and probably lots of great x country skiing.

I was gonna go camping up there there with the cousins from Allegany County like 20 years ago, but it fell through and I never have got to that area.

Barrie seems like a nice city that averages 100" a year. Go just 5 or 10 miles north and that increases by 50%

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LES looks disorganized off Lake Ontario. Maybe preparing for a shift and then re-organize. I think overall this may under perform east of the lake, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

yeah i think it's a distinct possibility that places like Sherman and even as far southwest as Ashtabula County OH outdo east of Lake Ontario due to the duration of wind direction.

I just found a site that says 140" in Owen Sound.

I go to sauble beach every year in summer to camp for 10 days. According to the weather network up there, they average 167 inches per year of snow. I have a hard time believing they receive that much though, looks like mistype....Here is great website!

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Canada/Cities/snowfall-annual-average.php

Flurries here now from Lake Erie. :)

The Ontario bands are carrying though...crossing I-87 near Schroon Lake and upsloping into the Greens.

LES looks disorganized off Lake Ontario. Maybe preparing for a shift and then re-organize. I think overall this may under perform east of the lake, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Flurries here now from Lake Erie. :)

The Ontario bands are carrying though...crossing I-87 near Schroon Lake and upsloping into the Greens.

Nice band just moved through here, ground now covered. Sounds stupid saying that, after all, this is the Adirondacks, and it's Jan 2, but this year's a different story.

Winter Ice Bowl Classic on Channel 2 Rangers VS Flyers!! Should be great game!!! Can't wait for us to get cold soon, really wanting to play pond hockey. Last year I was able to play nearly all winter with the consistent cold conditions.

the one they had in buffalo was teh best!@

the one they had in buffalo was teh best!@

I was there! Spent all day at the Ralph. Crosby scored the game winning goal in the shootout, was absolutely devasting!! Me and my uncle thought it was planned to have it end that way! I am a hockey loving fanatic, I started skating at 2 years old. My dad played juniors and had a 90 mph slapshot. =0

I'm having a tough figuring out why the Ontario band is so disorganized. Must be that the cold advection is strong enough that is causing too much synoptic downward vertical motion. Shear and moisture both look very favorable.

Good point, the Ontario band has been a disaster so far today. There appears to be a lot of subsidence over the lake and points just north of the lake, which is kind of odd.

Also, if you animate an 8 frame visible loop for the NE from here, you can almost see some sort of mesoscale vortex spinning through southern ontario just North of Lake Ontario. I'm wondering if this wreaking havoc with the low level wind fields and introducing shear or downward motion.

Good point, the Ontario band has been a disaster so far today. There appears to be a lot of subsidence over the lake and points just north of the lake, which is kind of odd.

Also, if you animate an 8 frame visible loop for the NE from here, you can almost see some sort of mesoscale vortex spinning through southern ontario just North of Lake Ontario. I'm wondering if this wreaking havoc with the low level wind fields and introducing shear or downward motion.

Isn't that the secondary cold front that is forecast to drop across the area tonight? Which veer the winds to NW bring in really cold air and shear subsides? LES advisory for most of Niagara Frontier, looks like they agree with that WRF model OSU posted earlier.

.LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT

SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST TUESDAY. THE

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN HERKIMER COUNTY.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* TIMING...TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...LOCALLY SNOW COVERED ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES

DUE TO FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...UNDER ONE MILE AT TIMES IN FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW.

Great day of chasing/hiking down in Cattaraugus County. I left around 11:00 AM; bare ground until just before the Colden exit on Rt. 219. Drove through moderate snow from this point through Ellicottville, then stopped at McCarty Hill State Forest (down the road from Holiday Valley) for a hike. About 12” of snow on the ground at the state forest. Nice hike, with a few 1”/hr. bands rolling through. Hit a strong band on the way home (estimate 2”/hr) in the Ashford Hollow area. Here’s a few pictures from the day’s adventure.

post-1195-0-07158200-1325539702.jpg

post-1195-0-86217700-1325539691.jpg

post-1195-0-59862800-1325539676.jpg

Archived