• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/1-1/4 Lake Effect Snow Outbreak

well it's starting to look disorganized,still think 1-2 inches for the city. :pimp:

Ayuud i think we will be hard pressed to see that in the city untill the NW flow sets up with the -20 850s then maybe a Georgian bay or Lake Huron connection will drop us a quick 4 inches of total fluff. Winds are definitely shearing the bands apart tonight.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown Received 15 inches from that storm, which is close to the lakeshore. However, just a few miles inland and places received 10 more inches then the lakeshore.

yeah...that's pretty typical even in mid-winter events with very cold temps. The band seems to continue to intensify even as it moves over the land. We often see the max amounts 5-15 miles inland from the lake.

I thought I saw a flash to the northeast out of the window. Nice...must be the help from the synoptic lift because the lake-induced instability is pretty marginal right now.

I've had a couple texts from friends in the Buffalo 'burbs reporting some thunder and lightning the last hour or so. Definitely a powerful synoptic influence at this point in time.

Ayuud i think we will be hard pressed to see that in the city untill the NW flow sets up with the -20 850s then maybe a Georgian bay or Lake Huron connection will drop us a quick 4 inches of total fluff. Winds are definitely shearing the bands apart tonight.

that's what nws forecast is calling for,i'm jealous of Rochester though they are getting a foot+ out of that one...

yeah...that's pretty typical even in mid-winter events with very cold temps. The band seems to continue to intensify even as it moves over the land. We often see the max amounts 5-15 miles inland from the lake.

Yeah definitely, that explains why the averages of the Buffalo area increased so dramatically when the recording station was moved from Downtown to the AIrport. I guess it has to do with Orographic lift. Along with improved measuring capabilities as you pointed out earlier.

Yeah definitely, that explains why the averages of the Buffalo area increased so dramatically when the recording station was moved from Downtown to the AIrport. I guess it has to do with Orographic lift. Along with improved measuring capabilities as you pointed out earlier.

just imagine if C from P was the measuring guy at the airport :arrowhead:

Amazing that the difference from downtown to near my house and the Airport is nearly 150ft. Pretty interesting.

it could be orographic lift...but you're only talking about 100 ft difference between the lake shore and the airport. we did some research on this at SUNY Oswego and we hypothesized it may be that inland from the lake shore is the ideal location for frictional band consolidation and glaciation. The mixed cloud of supercooled water and snow flakes may accrete and aggregate just inland and "snow out"

HAHA! He won't come here, because he will be instantly banned with the way he talks. I don't understand how or why Don puts up with him. He is destroying that blog single handily....

i dont understand it at all either. He trolls more than anyone else on the blog and im truly convinced hes behind half the phony post because as soon as he post something he knows is stupid tons of un gravatar bloggers show up saying how they agree with c from p.

it could be orographic lift...but you're only talking about 100 ft difference between the lake shore and the airport. we did some research on this at SUNY Oswego and we hypothesized it may be that inland from the lake shore is the ideal location for frictional band consolidation and glaciation. The mixed cloud of supercooled water and snow flakes may accrete and aggregate just inland and "snow out"

That's one of the choices i put for the school I want to go to just because of the les study and because I have the grades to get in and I don't have to work my buns off because I already have the grades to get in

i dont understand it at all either. He trolls more than anyone else on the blog and im truly convinced hes behind half the phony post because as soon as he post something he knows is stupid tons of un gravatar bloggers show up saying how they agree with c from p.

Thing is even if they have a gravatar it could be him, he has a masters in CIS as well. He could be proxying his IP so easily with hundreds of gravatar accounts. You can have as many gravatars as you have Email addresses...

Archived