CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/1-1/4 Lake Effect Snow Outbreak

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SOUTHERN HERKIMER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ILION...HERKIMER...LITTLE FALLS...

MOHAWK...FRANKFORT...DOLGEVILLE

423 PM EST SUN JAN 1 2012

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH

TUESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT

SNOW WATCH FOR HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...7 INCHES OR MORE POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ038&warncounty=NYC043&firewxzone=NYZ038&local_place1=Herkimer+NY&product1=Lake+Effect+Snow+Watch

Finally pulled the trigger for ROC

URGENT -WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY 402 PM EST SUN JAN 1 2012 NYZ003>005-014-020515-/O.NEW.KBUF.LE.A.0001.120102T2300Z-120103T2300Z/ MONROE-WAYNE-NORTHERN CAYUGA-ONTARIO-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCHESTER...NEWARK...FAIR HAVEN... CANANDAIGUA 402 PM EST SUN JAN 1 2012 ...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON. * LOCATIONS...MONROE...WAYNE...NORTHERN CAYUGA AND ONTARIO COUNTIES. * TIMING...EARLY MONDAY EVENING THROUGH EARLY TUESDAY EVENING. * ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES MONDAY NIGHT AND 5 TO 8 INCHES TUESDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 8 TO 15 INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS. GREATEST AMOUNTS LIKELY EAST OF ROCHESTER. * WINDS...NORTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH. * VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES. * TEMPERATURES...LOWS AROUND 10 ABOVE MONDAY NIGHT. HIGHS 10 TO 15 TUESDAY. * IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS WILL PRODUCE VERY DIFFICULT TRAVEL AT TIMES WITH POOR VISIBILITY AND HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS. * FORECASTER CONFIDENCE...MODERATE. THERE REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY AS TO EXACT PLACEMENT OF THE HEAVIER SNOW BANDS. ONLY A SMALL CHANGE IN WIND DIRECTION CAN MOVE THE LOCATION OF HEAVIEST SNOWFALL.

High Wind Warning

Lakeshore Flood Warning

Lake Effect Snow Warning

Special Weather Statement

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Tonight: Scattered rain and snow showers before midnight, then snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow after 3am. Low around 28. Windy, with a west wind between 26 and 32 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Monday: Snow showers and areas of blowing snow before noon, then snow showers likely after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 28. Windy, with a west wind between 25 and 29 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Monday Night: Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -10. Breezy, with a west wind between 17 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/day1_psnow_gt_04.gif

WOW!

If this happens here tomorrow night I'll be happy. At this point any snow is welcome....

From ALY:

Monday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 10. Wind chill values as low as -6. West wind between 16 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Cant wait for the rain :lmao:

ONGOING COLD AIR ADVECTION WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO

COOL THE COLUMN ENOUGH TO SUPPORT LAKE EFFECT GIVEN THE VERY WARM

START AHEAD OF THE FRONT. NAM/GFS BUFKIT PROFILES SUGGEST ENOUGH

INSTABILITY WILL DEVELOP BY MID EVENING TO START A BAND. STRONG

WINDS IN THE BOUNDARY LAYER AND INITIALLY MARGINAL INSTABILITY WILL

PREVENT ANYTHING TOO ORGANIZED BEFORE MIDNIGHT. WHATEVER DOES FORM

WILL DO SO ACROSS THE BUFFALO METRO AREA. BOUNDARY LAYER MAY STILL

BE WARM ENOUGH TO ALLOW SOME RAIN TO MIX IN WITH VERY LITTLE

ACCUMULATION THROUGH MIDNIGHT.

Not much is said here about Georgian Bay bands, but looking at the BTV WRF....

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/4kmwrf/

Around 18Z tomorrow it actually has a GB band cutting through between Smith's Falls and Brockville and then into St. Lawrence County, NY with 30-35 dbz all the way to Potsdam.....

A Lake Erie gets to me with 25 dbz ...hard to believe, but obviously the model thinks they are going to carry great distances.

Until now the BUF WRF hadn't had much QPF going inland past the Chautauqua Ridge, but this is nice:

post-312-0-33465900-1325458590.gif

1.0" QPF line is not far away, and it seems to have a nice band over southern Chautauqua county for a time, which isn't common, but when it does happen, we usually cash in. Who knows where the bands will be when winds shift NW...

Until now the BUF WRF hadn't had much QPF going inland past the Chautauqua Ridge, but this is nice:

post-312-0-33465900-1325458590.gif

1.0" QPF line is not far away, and it seems to have a nice band over southern Chautauqua county for a time, which isn't common, but when it does happen, we usually cash in. Who knows where the bands will be when winds shift NW...

Enjoy your 1-2FT :snowing:

Finally pulled the trigger for ROC

URGENT -WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY 402 PM EST SUN JAN 1 2012 NYZ003>005-014-020515-/O.NEW.KBUF.LE.A.0001.120102T2300Z-120103T2300Z/ MONROE-WAYNE-NORTHERN CAYUGA-ONTARIO-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCHESTER...NEWARK...FAIR HAVEN... CANANDAIGUA 402 PM EST SUN JAN 1 2012 ...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON. * LOCATIONS...MONROE...WAYNE...NORTHERN CAYUGA AND ONTARIO COUNTIES. * TIMING...EARLY MONDAY EVENING THROUGH EARLY TUESDAY EVENING. * ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES MONDAY NIGHT AND 5 TO 8 INCHES TUESDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 8 TO 15 INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS. GREATEST AMOUNTS LIKELY EAST OF ROCHESTER. * WINDS...NORTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH. * VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES. * TEMPERATURES...LOWS AROUND 10 ABOVE MONDAY NIGHT. HIGHS 10 TO 15 TUESDAY. * IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS WILL PRODUCE VERY DIFFICULT TRAVEL AT TIMES WITH POOR VISIBILITY AND HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS. * FORECASTER CONFIDENCE...MODERATE. THERE REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY AS TO EXACT PLACEMENT OF THE HEAVIER SNOW BANDS. ONLY A SMALL CHANGE IN WIND DIRECTION CAN MOVE THE LOCATION OF HEAVIEST SNOWFALL.

Dude, I'm super psyched for this. Our first real potential at some interesting LES. I live just down the road in W. Irondequoit about 1/2 mile from the lake. In my experience, our only downside is the wind intensity which sometimes doesn't allow for the cold air to gather enough moisture as it crosses L ontario. As you know, Monroe county is probably the most difficult area in NYS to forecast LES. It seems like a crap shoot as to if we get one inch or 17 inches. I'm thinking about 9. but it's anyones guess at this point. none of the models are showing anything for us. I hope they are wrong.

Dude, I'm super psyched for this. Our first real potential at some interesting LES. I live just down the road in W. Irondequoit about 1/2 mile from the lake. In my experience, our only downside is the wind intensity which sometimes doesn't allow for the cold air to gather enough moisture as it crosses L ontario. As you know, Monroe county is probably the most difficult area in NYS to forecast LES. It seems like a crap shoot as to if we get one inch or 17 inches. I'm thinking about 9. but it's anyones guess at this point. none of the models are showing anything for us. I hope they are wrong.

I have a feeling you should get a decent amount of snow Monday night into Tuesday. Most likely near a foot, especially areas just to the east of the City.

Really windy!

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

734 PM EST SUN JAN 01 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0600 PM NON-TSTM WND GST DUNKIRK 42.49N 79.35W

01/01/2012 M59 MPH CHAUTAUQUA NY C-MAN STATION

Quick post.....(no time for a map)....max locations in BOTH Erie and Ontario bands will approach 40"....Near Sherman (or just to the north of there) off Erie, and at the triple point of Oswego, Lewis, Oneida Counties (ie center Tug Hill area). Everyone else (from Rome to Ithaca and points NW'ward) does quite well on a less than steller NW-NNW flow later Mon. night into Tues... (6-12") Look for some micro lollies south of the FL's.....

This is an odd post. The storm system is in its infancy right now. The surface low is going to rapidly deepen, heights will crash, the flow will turn SW under extremely strong CAA. Niagara, Orleans, Northern Erie, Genesee County and even parts of Monroe could see some heavy action during the first part of this storm. Saying less than an inch is ridiculous.

Lake Erie is very warm right now, don't doubt the possibilities.

hmmm

Snowing heavily here in Cheektowaga

03Z UPDATE...LATEST RADAR IMAGERY INDICATES LAKE EFFECT NOW SHOWERS

ARE STARTING TO BLOSSOM ACROSS LAKE ERIE. EXPECT THAT THESE SHOWERS

WILL INITIALLY MOVE ACROSS KBUF...BRINGING MVFR CONDITIONS. BANDS

SHOULD REMAIN SOUTH OF KIAG AND WILL LEAVE THEM VFR FOR THE

REMAINDER OF THE TAF PERIOD. BY 06Z WINDS SHOULD VEER ENOUGH TO THE

WEST TO PUSH THE LAKE EFFECT BANDS MAINLY SOUTH OF KBUF/KROC

BRINGING THOSE SITES BACK TO VFR WHILE CONDITIONS AT KJHW/KART WILL

DETERIORATE TO MVFR TO IFR BY AROUND 09Z AS COLDER AIR ARRIVES AND

BANDS BECOME MORE ORGANIZED/INTENSE. CONTINUED GUSTY WEST TO

SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS WILL FURTHER REDUCE VISIBILITY IN

SNOWBANDS...PARTICULARLY AT KJHW AND KART.

I thought I saw a flash to the northeast out of the window. Nice...must be the help from the synoptic lift because the lake-induced instability is pretty marginal right now.

northtowns getting hit nicely now,i heard rumbles of thunder also..

Archived