• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/1-1/4 Lake Effect Snow Outbreak

6pm would be fine imo. Yeah, 1-2 ft Monday morning through Tuesday morning. It's possible the top of the hill at 2250 ft could exceed 2 ft...but I'd think the best chance of that is on the chautauqua ridge since they get slammed better on Monday night when the flow turns northwesterly.

what are your thoughts for downtown area?

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6pm would be fine imo. Yeah, 1-2 ft Monday morning through Tuesday morning. It's possible the top of the hill at 2250 ft could exceed 2 ft...but I'd think the best chance of that is on the chautauqua ridge since they get slammed better on Monday night when the flow turns northwesterly.

Thanks for your input. I'll pass the info. on to the skiiers tonight. They should have a great time. My family and I were able to go last year right before new years and the skiing was tremendous. Lots of snow and powder. The crowds were the only downside, but that shouldn't be as much of an issue for the friends this year because they are going post new years.

This certainly is an impressive storm, here's a fun little fact that I just read from a Lake Superior warning.

"WIND AND WAVES DURING THE STORM WARNING:

EXPECT SUSTAINED WINDS OF UP TO 41 KNOTS FROM THE NORTHWEST...WITH GUSTS UP TO

53 KNOTS. THE LARGEST EXPECTED SIGNIFICANT WAVES WILL BE 23 FEET WITH A MAXIMUM WAVE HEIGHT OF

UP TO 33 FEET POSSIBLE."

High Wind Warning

Lakeshore Flood Warning

Lake Effect Snow Warning

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Tonight: Rain and snow showers likely before 7pm, then snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow after 9pm. Low around 26. Windy, with a west wind between 31 and 37 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Monday: Snow showers and widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 27. Windy, with a west wind around 30 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

:popcorn:

Metro has great chance to get hit with this quite a bit as well...

From NWS FD:

THE FIRST COLD FRONT WILL BE WELL TO THE EAST OF THE REGION ON

MONDAY BUT SURFACE WINDS WILL STILL BE GENERALLY SOUTHWESTERLY EARLY

ON. THE NORTHWARD EXTENT OF THE LAKE SNOW BANDS OFF LAKE ERIE WILL

BE MIGRATING SOUTHWARD FROM THE METRO BUFFALO AND GENESEE/WYOMING

COUNTIES TO THE MORE TRADITIONAL CHAUTAUQUA RIDGE AND SO-CALLED SKI

COUNTRY AS THE SURFACE WINDS BECOME MORE WESTERLY.

what are your thoughts for downtown area?

same as I said yesterday pretty much. Downtown and metro BUF will be hard pressed to get more than 3". The only thing that we might have going for us is the disorganization of the band in the early part of the event leading to more widespread but lighter snows as opposed to the more traditional single band of heavy snow.

same as I said yesterday pretty much. Downtown and metro BUF will be hard pressed to get more than 3". The only thing that we might have going for us is the disorganization of the band in the early part of the event leading to more widespread but lighter snows as opposed to the more traditional single band of heavy snow.

Good call yesterday,next threat is Monday night into Tuesday with that nw flow and again on Wednesday when the winds turn wsw.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

921 AM EST SUN JAN 1 2012

NYZ006>008-012230-

/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0001.120102T0300Z-120103T1500Z/

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS

EVENING TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO REGION AND TUG HILL

PLATEAU.

* TIMING...LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE TUESDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES OVERNIGHT...5 TO 10 INCHES

MONDAY...5 TO 9 INCHES MONDAY NIGHT...AND AN INCH OR LESS

TUESDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 1 TO 2 FEET IN THE MOST

PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

* WINDS...WEST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH WIND GUSTS TO 55 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING

SNOW.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS AROUND 30 OVERNIGHT. HIGHS IN THE LOWER

30S MONDAY. LOWS 5 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE ZERO MONDAY NIGHT. BETWEEN

5 BELOW AND 5 ABOVE ZERO TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF LOCALLY HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND

STRONG GUSTY WINDS WILL RESULT IN PERIODS OF WHITEOUT CONDITIONS

WHICH WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY DIFFICULT OR EVEN NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE

AT TIMES WITH LOCALIZED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. TRAVEL ALONG

INTERSTATE 81 AND ADJACENT ROADWAYS WILL BE SEVERELY IMPACTED

BY THE INCLEMENT WEATHER CONDITIONS.

NYZ012-019>021-085-012230-

/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0001.120102T0300Z-120103T1500Z/

WYOMING-CHAUTAUQUA-CATTARAUGUS-ALLEGANY-SOUTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARSAW...JAMESTOWN...OLEAN...

WELLSVILLE...ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS

EVENING TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...WYOMING AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTY AND THE WESTERN

SOUTHERN TIER.

* TIMING...LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE TUESDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 6 INCHES OVERNIGHT...4 TO 7 INCHES

MONDAY...5 TO 9 INCHES MONDAY NIGHT...AND AN INCH OR LESS

TUESDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 10 TO 20 INCHES IN THE

MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

* WINDS...WEST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH.

SNOW.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE MID 20S OVERNIGHT. HIGHS IN THE

UPPER 20S MONDAY. LOWS 5 TO 10 ABOVE MONDAY NIGHT. BETWEEN 5

AND 10 ABOVE TUESDAY.

AT TIMES WITH LOCALIZED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. TRAVEL ALONG THE

NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY AND ADJACENT ROADWAYS FROM HAMBURG TO THE

PENNSYLVANIA STATE LINE WILL BE SEVERELY IMPACTED BY THE

INCLEMENT WEATHER CONDITIONS.

NYZ010-011-012230-

/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0001.120102T0000Z-120102T1700Z/

NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BUFFALO...BATAVIA

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS

EVENING TO NOON EST MONDAY...

* LOCATIONS...GENESEE AND NORTHERN ERIE COUNTIES...MAINLY SOUTH OF

A LINE FROM DOWNTOWN BUFFALO TO BATAVIA.

* TIMING...EARLY THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE MONDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES TONIGHT AND 1 TO 3 INCHES MONDAY

MORNING...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES IN THE MOST

PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

* WINDS...WEST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH.

SNOW.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS AROUND 30 TONIGHT. HIGHS AROUND 30 MONDAY.

AT TIMES WITH LOCALIZED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

Good call yesterday,next threat is Monday night into Tuesday with that nw flow and again on Wednesday when the winds turn wsw.

yeah wednesday could deliver a decent WAA lake-effect event...we'll see.

The NW flow stuff is mainly for northtowns...I'm almost certainly skunked on that.

Maybe I'm wrong and the models don't have the winds as WSW/SW as they should be...but I doubt it.

My lake effect snow outbreak blog has been updated. Looks like the heavier snows should stay south of Buffalo across the Chautauqua Ridge area and into northern Pennsylvania across Crawford, Erie, McKean, and Warren counties. I am still waiting to see as the mesoscale models line up the snow bands as the flow shifts a bit more northerly. Hoping for a decent 322 streamer to form here across Pennsylvania off Erie. http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Blizzard92/comment.html?entrynum=212#commenttop

Looks like around 10 inches of snow in my area with 50+ mph winds. Exciting times!

Tonight: A chance of rain and snow showers before 8pm, then snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow after 9pm. Low around 27. Windy, with a west wind between 31 and 36 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Monday: Snow showers and widespread blowing snow before 4pm, then snow showers likely and widespread blowing snow after 4pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. Windy, with a west wind around 29 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say BUF metro gets less than 1" from tonight through Tuesday.

The NWS thinks differently....They wouldn't issue a LES warning if conditions were not favorable for snow in Northern Erie County. Look at Lake Michigan, it is clearly a SW flow with loads of LES coming off that lake. Same will happen here, be patient and watch!

The NWS thinks differently....They wouldn't issue a LES warning if conditions were not favorable for snow in Northern Erie County. Look at Lake Michigan, it is clearly a SW flow with loads of LES coming off that lake. Same will happen here, be patient and watch!

The bands over Lake Michigan are originating on NW flow. I don't agree with the NWS...it doesn't look good for northern Erie County. None of the models put anything significant into BUF metro. The flow is too westerly when the cold air arrives tonight.

Almost no trajectory beyond (southwest of) 270 degrees with this then I guess you're saying.

Maybe the northern Tug will also end up being too far north. I'd love to see this shift into the I-90 corridor (east of SYR) for awhile before it sweeps on through completely. But that's a different lake.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say BUF metro gets less than 1" from tonight through Tuesday.

The bands over Lake Michigan are originating on NW flow. I don't agree with the NWS...it doesn't look good for northern Erie County. None of the models put anything significant into BUF metro. The flow is too westerly when the cold air arrives tonight.

IMO they' should drop the LES warning for buf.

Almost no trajectory beyond (southwest of) 270 degrees with this then I guess you're saying.

Maybe the northern Tug will also end up being too far north. I'd love to see this shift into the I-90 corridor (east of SYR) for awhile before it sweeps on through completely. But that's a different lake.

yeah I mean it probably starts on 260-265...but flow like that doesn't target metro Buffalo. That's favorable flow for southern erie and central eastern erie county.

This is an odd post. The storm system is in its infancy right now. The surface low is going to rapidly deepen, heights will crash, the flow will turn SW under extremely strong CAA. Niagara, Orleans, Northern Erie, Genesee County and even parts of Monroe could see some heavy action during the first part of this storm. Saying less than an inch is ridiculous.

Lake Erie is very warm right now, don't doubt the possibilities.

Well you probably want to hit the good LES oif you are like the rest of us. LOL

But if you want to avoid it and save some miles and tolls...crossing southern Ontario works well. I've done it several times on Midwest trips.

I'm stoked to hit the bands. Especially when I have a good vehicle (RAM). My concern would be them shutting down I.90

Pretty awesome forecast on the Tug tomorrow:

Monday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 28. Breezy, with a west wind between 20 and 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.7492731811147&lon=-75.70472717285156&site=buf&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Archived