• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/1-1/4 Lake Effect Snow Outbreak

Excellent! For those that have followed LES long enough, those subtleties are important to "probe" the environment.

Another tool is to check out the Canadian radars...and not just King City....but the ones to the north...if there are ANY echoes propogating, it means there is moisture in "them there" Arctic airmassses....which is gasoline for warm lakes....

thank you, King.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not sure which i like better. not sure what the difference is, i always thaught it picked up the low clouds on this mode. they seem to be the only people in the NWS org. that use it. it does help to show the streamers originating.

Essentially, the clear air mode (especially in arctic air masses) will detect cloud seeding elements (ambient ice crystals) necessary for condensation to take place. It is a great sign to see ANY echoes (in clear air mode) behind an arctic front, as the air mass is usually bone dry...

But they have...4-7 in the storm earlier this year...Lockport n NT got 5-6 inches, I got 5 as well. NWS predicted a trace from Buffalo North for last nights LES, as the MET on the WIVB Blog pointed out, only us southtowners got Screwed last night not you!

Okay richard. if you want to think this hasnt been the most off year for predicting lake effect in a long time then go ahead.

albany update

CANCELLED THE LAKE EFFECT SNOWWARNING AND ADVISORY FOR THE

SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS AREA. KEEPING THE WARNING AND ADVISORY FOR

SOUTHERN HERKIMER AND NORTHERN FULTON COUNTIES. THE WIND SHIFT TO

NORTHWEST IS HEADING EAST AS IS THE DEEPER COLD AIR. THE LAKE

EFFECT SNOW BANDS SHOULD BECOME MORE ORGANIZED LATER TONIGHT ONCE

THE BOUNDARY LAYER COOLS. HOWEVER LAKE EFFECT SNOWS COULD TREND TO

MORE MULTI BANDS AS FLOW TURNS MORE NORTHWEST. SO...AGAIN...

KEEPING HEADLINES IN SOUTHERN HERKIMER AND NORTHERN FULTON. CLOUD

COVER AND STEADY WINDS SHOULD PREVENT TEMPERATURES FROM DROPPING

AS MUCH AS THEY COULD...BUT CURRENT FORECAST MATCHES WITH CURRENT

OBSERVATIONS AND TRENDS. SO ONLY MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO GRIDS.

Heres a picture I took today at Sandy pond in northern Oswego county of a cell moving in, got pelted with about 2 minutes of graupel right after this pic was taken..Received about 3 1/2 inches in Altmar from those broken up cells, no real banding took place, is that from the strong winds and very warm lake?. This event reminded me of late October. Just wondering, thanks guys.

AngryOntario.jpg

This mornings off and on whiteouts..More graupel than snow today in Altmar. Drove to the Salmon River Reservoir, they had about 5 inches.

fjhgg.jpg

We got lucky IMBY for a few hrs as the sort of single band with Huron connection held tough. Just flurries attm. Was a decent band of snow...extends all the way to where I used to live in Clifton Park and on towards VT.

Nice, hopefully we all cash in some more later tonight when the winds shift. Want to get some use out of my new back country skiis.

18z wrf looks nice for BUF. Has between .10 and .20" of QPF with this band that will move through here in a little bit. With snow ratios right now between 20:1 - 30:1 we could see a quick 2 or 3 inches. Maybe I'm being hopeful.

It also looks nice for Wednesday with some synoptic snow behind enhanced by a SW flow off Erie. About .25" of QPF from that but snow ratios won't be as high as they are now. Maybe 15:1.. So if everything can pan out right and thats a big IF maybe the metro could squeeze out close to 6 inches by Thursday. I sureee hope so.

18z wrf looks nice for BUF. Has between .10 and .20" of QPF with this band that will move through here in a little bit. With snow ratios right now between 20:1 - 30:1 we could see a quick 2 or 3 inches. Maybe I'm being hopeful.

It also looks nice for Wednesday with some synoptic snow behind enhanced by a SW flow off Erie. About .25" of QPF from that but snow ratios won't be as high as they are now. Maybe 15:1.. So if everything can pan out right and thats a big IF maybe the metro could squeeze out close to 6 inches by Thursday. I sureee hope so.

too much shear on Wednesday.. :thumbsdown:

Youve already had like 9 inches this season. And a 5 inch event in like a 6 hour period so you have nothing to complain about :P

Getting ready for that band to move in here. Hopefully it can slow its roll and sit over me for an hour or 2. Prob not though.

prolly 15 min max i think,it's moving fast.

Youve already had like 9 inches this season. And a 5 inch event in like a 6 hour period so you have nothing to complain about :P

Getting ready for that band to move in here. Hopefully it can slow its roll and sit over me for an hour or 2. Prob not though.

New WRF is out. If this varifies you'll get 6 inches overnight...Shows .5 QPF smack dab over airport.

wrfq.png

Sure is :axe: Just hope we can get into some of those skinny bands I think that may set up along the whole south shore of Ontario once this band goes through. I swear id be happy with 2 or 3 inches overnight!

at least they bumped up snowfall forecast for tonight from 1-2 to 1-3" :lmao:

.OVERNIGHT...LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS AND BLOWING SNOW. SNOW MAY

BE HEAVY AT TIMES. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION 1 TO 3 INCHES IN THE

MOST PERSISTENT SNOWS NORTHEAST OF BUFFALO...WITH LOCALIZED

AMOUNTS OF UP TO 4 INCHES POSSIBLE NEAR CLARENCE AND AKRON. LOWS

AROUND 10 ABOVE. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 90

PERCENT.

.TUESDAY...LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN A

CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION 1

TO 2 INCHES. COLD WITH HIGHS 10 TO 15. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15

MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST. CHANCE OF SNOW 60 PERCENT.

Latest Totals:

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...

2 E CATTARAUGUS 15.0 515 PM 1/02 PUBLIC

CATTARAUGUS 12.5 515 PM 1/02 PUBLIC

SOUTH DAYTON 10.5 330 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

NEW ALBION 10.0 440 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...

FREWSBURG 12.0 330 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

CASSADAGA 8.0 330 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

DEWITTVILLE 5.0 330 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

...OSWEGO COUNTY...

LACONA 8.0 300 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

I love how C from P encourages snowfall in Jamestown that has 0 ski resorts and his "parents" live there. Yet doesn't want it at his house. Makes a lot of sense...Guy is hilarious...I belong to quite a few blogs, and he is the biggest troll I have ever witnessed. LeeLee pointed out that Pizza thing, I didn't realize that. Stinking Hilarious! :lmao:

Archived