• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 29-31st 2 Clipper Potentials

dmc76

I am very happy it stayed nearly all snow here today. ~1.5". At times there was very Large flake size which helped this clipper to over achieve a bit here.

Now that the precip has moved out the temps are rising above freezing. :(

If only tomorrows clipper could move ~50 miles south.

Very nice event today really looked like winter....about 1.5"-1.7" today.

Amazingly at 12.0" for the year. this time last year I was at 12.2".

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both 18z runs of the NAM and GFS have went south. Both run the sfc low across I-80 in northern IL.

I am at the office today...but this ejecting wave into NE is over-performing big time. Models are still in catch up mode. But the 18Z guidance is definitely catching an idea of how intense the undulation aloft is as this wave continues into the Great Lakes.

I am at the office today...but this ejecting wave into NE is over-performing big time. Models are still in catch up mode. But the 18Z guidance is definitely catching an idea of how intense the undulation aloft is as this wave continues into the Great Lakes.

Do you think dynamic cooling will be a factor, especially on the north side of the band? It's weird, b/c despite the 18z GFS trending south, the 850 mb 0C line stagnated and seemed to hang north if anything.

I guess this is yet another congrats to the Euro. For the last 2+ days the Euro has shown this system spinning up nicely over central Iowa with a deformation band dropping ~0.5" of precip. During that same period the NAM and GFS were mostly showing a weak disturbance skirting ne IA with <0.2". Suddenly, both have leaped into the Euro camp.

I guess this is yet another congrats to the Euro. For the last 2+ days the Euro has shown this system spinning up nicely over central Iowa with a deformation band dropping ~0.5" of precip. During that same period the NAM and GFS were mostly showing a weak disturbance skirting ne IA with <0.2". Suddenly, both have leaped into the Euro camp.

I wouldn't say that. The last two days the GFS and especially the NAM were still indicating 0.25"+ of QPF in the middle of the band. In fact, the Euro, if anything, was stingier I thought a few days ago. That said, the track has waffled, but none of the major models were spot on with it consistently.

incorrect.

Ok, prove it. The Euro has waffled between a further south solution (which looks like it is the more likely scenario to occur now) and a solution that confines the snow north of I-94, which still might happen. It's probably been the best, but it hasn't been spot on. Also, the GFS and NAM haven't been as bad or inconsistent as people are saying.

Ok, prove it. The Euro has waffled between a further south solution (which looks like it is the more likely scenario to occur now) and a solution that confines the snow north of I-94, which still might happen. It's probably been the best, but it hasn't been spot on. Also, the GFS and NAM haven't been as bad or inconsistent as people are saying.

The ECMWF is the only model (out of the ECMWF/GEM/NAM/GFS) to have a consistent track south of the WI/IL border.

The last part of your post is even more lol worthy, given the NAM had the SLP track across Central WI a few runs ago, and as of the 18z run has it tracking near I-80 in North-Central IL.

The ECMWF is the only model (out of the ECMWF/GEM/NAM/GFS) to have a consistent track south of the WI/IL border.

The last part of your post is even more lol worthy, given the NAM had the SLP track across Central WI a few runs ago, and as of the 18z run has it tracking near I-80 in North-Central IL.

Track is only part of the equation, though. I can't speak as for the Euro, but the GFS and NAM have been consistent in 0.25-0.5" QPF numbers for most areas affected by the clipper for at least a few days now, and it was stated they were trending toward the Euro wrt moisture, which is wrong.

Track is only part of the equation, though. I can't speak as for the Euro, but the GFS and NAM have been consistent in 0.25-0.5" QPF numbers for most areas affected by the clipper for at least a few days now, and it was stated they were trending toward the Euro wrt moisture, which is wrong.

How do you know what the Euro had if you can't speak for it? :wacko:

Probably best to let this argument die.

Hawkeye was talking about his BY. He is correct given the GFS/NAM have come south, thus increasing QPF in his area as the ECMWF has shown.

How do you know what the Euro had if you can't speak for it? :wacko:

Probably best to let this argument die.

I can't speak for the exact QPF numbers; I can speak for the area of snowfall and the text output of the Euro. I was primarily trying to temper others' criticisms of the NAM and GFS, b/c I don't think they have been that bad with this (then again, I'm speaking for the Lakes region, and see they have been a bit off for Iowa).

Hawkeye was talking about his BY. He is correct given the GFS/NAM have come south, thus increasing QPF in his area as the ECMWF has shown.

Now that I went back and checked the NAM/GFS qpf for the last four runs, they had been getting juicier even in northeast Iowa, so I guess my last post did exagerate the differences between them and the Euro, at least for the last day. However, the Quad Cities nws discussions from Tuesday/Tuesday night mention the Euro being aggressive with precip across this area while the NAM/GFS were much drier and north, so a couple days ago the difference was pretty notable. The Euro already had a potent little system spinning up in Iowa on Tuesday and it has changed very little since then... and that's what I was trying to say.

Damn! That's only 1mph from the "destructive winds" description many offices include in their warnings.

Indeed they did

* AT 519 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN

EXCESS OF 70 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR NORTON...AND WAS

MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH.

How often does a winter clipper produce severe thunderstorms in KS?

Archived