gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed that the pattern hasn't changed in 4 months..quite remarkable if you ask me..not one block..anywhere in 4 months!! Since Irene came thru something happened..I have never seen the pattern exactly the same for such a long period..it's like you look at tonights GFS and it looks like it did a month ago or 2..exactly

Lee Goldberg mentions a possible white Christmas?

http://abclocal.go.c...438&pid=7909127

I'm assuming he's looking at seriously a longshot. Models are coming into better consensus as to a major eastern CONUS storm either coming out of the GOM or tapping Gulf moisture before making the LH turn up toward the northeast. With no high lattitude blocking ahead of it, the HP over the ne will probably exit off the coast allowing warm air to be drawn n-ward as the storm moves over us or to our west (around the 23rd-24th).....but there is colder air up in central Canada on the maps than there has been most of this season, and if there is just a little blocking, some of this cold air might ooze se-ward (not seeing any arctic blast or even close it) toward the ne and make things a little more interesting--an extremely remote possibility of this IMO.

WX/PT

I'm assuming he's looking at seriously a longshot. Models are coming into better consensus as to a major eastern CONUS storm either coming out of the GOM or tapping Gulf moisture before making the LH turn up toward the northeast. With no high lattitude blocking ahead of it, the HP over the ne will probably exit off the coast allowing warm air to be drawn n-ward as the storm moves over us or to our west (around the 23rd-24th).....but there is colder air up in central Canada on the maps than there has been most of this season, and if there is just a little blocking, some of this cold air might ooze se-ward (not seeing any arctic blast or even close it) toward the ne and make things a little more interesting--an extremely remote possibility of this IMO.

WX/PT

All it takes is a little blocking, so it's something to ask Santa for.

I'm amazed that the pattern hasn't changed in 4 months..quite remarkable if you ask me..not one block..anywhere in 4 months!! Since Irene came thru something happened..I have never seen the pattern exactly the same for such a long period..it's like you look at tonights GFS and it looks like it did a month ago or 2..exactly

A mini block formed in the Davis straight for the Oct 29-30 storm...but its been basically junk since late August for blocking.

A mini block formed in the Davis straight for the Oct 29-30 storm...but its been basically junk since late August for blocking.

Right..a block for 2 days..even in 01-02 it was cold for the holidays and we did get blocking in late December but..there was just no cold air in Canada..I was talking to my weather friend Vinny today and he was amazed

WX/PT

Time to be creative and use the imagination to make a snowstorm? The 00Z GGEM at 144 hours:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/495_100.gif

The 993mb low near Buffalo becomes the pattern changer drawing some cold air se-ward from Canada behind it and the Alberta clipper dropping over Montana drops into the lower Ohio Valley. The Buffalo low becomes the 50/50 and the Ohio Valley low re-develops off the mid-Atlantic coast for the 23rd-24th. It's about a one in twenty chance but not impossible.

WX/PT

It could be the most consistent pattern from summer into winter I can remember other than maybe 2000 when the summer pattern more or less continued unabated straight through the fall and through December before it changed in later January.

I went out for a walk around 2AM wearing a light coat. Eventually I had to take that off and still, by the time I got back, the back of my neck was wet from perspiration. It has just dropped from 57 to 54 here in Jersey City. I thought it was amazing enough that once again yesterday, I could go outside in the afternoon without a coat. But 57 at 4AM on December 16 is just unbelievable.

The pattern on 0z Euro Ensemble Mean out 240hr, looks ugly again. The PV is up over Baffin Island and new vortex is moving over Alaska. If it's correct, the cold shot that comes around Christmas is not likely to be severe. It will also be tough to see any snowstorms around here, that week after. Especially for the coastal plain.

Archived