joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro basically looks like 12/26/10 except the NAO is positive and everything about 75-100 miles further west.

the backward C type low track is similar. That huge closed off H5 trough pulls it back inland. Biggest difference between the euro and gfs is the ridge out west.

There is some quickly growing support amongst the GEFS for a very anomalous ridge near the Rockies at this time. Although the NAO state is not favorable I wouldn't say we can write off some frozen precipitation if we can time a shortwave well. That ridge position usually means things will at the very least get interesting around here. Also notice the bucking heights near Newfoundland on the ensemble mean 500mb spaghetti plots. Indicative of the fact that if this event occurs, we'll be closely watching an event a day or two prior to it for it's effects on the pattern thereafter.

f156.gif

The GFS and Canadian show nothing, the Euro and NOGAPS both show the storm.

Neither the GFS or the GGEM have the anomalous ridge that is showing up on the Euro and NOGAPS. The CMC has the energy, but look how it flattens out and slides southeastward in a relatively flat upper air pattern. You can almost imagine how the Euro blows up that shortwave as it lets it rocket south down the east end of the ridge axis over the Rockies.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/CMC_0z/f144.gif

I'm not sure why anyone would compare areas out in the mountains well west of DC to NYC suburbs...if you do that, its like saying the Catskills NW of NYC average 5 times as much as DC metro.

Not as much as the equivalent far west of DC (i.e. Garrett County, MD). They get 150" snow a year easy.

why would you compare the ny city and I-95 with the mountains west of DC? You get a clue.

Because, having lived in both cities, the climate in each one is marginally different. NYC proper doesn't get that much more snow nor is it materially colder than DC proper. Furthermore, I was making the more general statement that the climates of each's respective metro areas similarly are not significantly different, especially the further out you get north and west.

Because, having lived in both cities, the climate in each one is marginally different. NYC proper doesn't get that much more snow nor is it materially colder than DC proper.

Typically when you compare cities with a small north-south difference you find the transitional seasons are when the greatest difference obviously occurs, in other words April/May tend to be way more crappy in NYC than DC and same could be said for Oct/Nov too. The snow average isn't more than maybe 10 inches or so different but thats a pretty significant difference when you're talking 15-18 inches vs. 25-28...way less than comparing 110 vs 120.

actually, looking at the poster's post history on american, it makes perfect sense.

I hope you've enjoyed all the snow we've gotten this winter!!

Let's also take a look at your ridiculous statement:

Avg Jan high in Boston: 36 F

Avg Jan high in NYC: 39 F

Avg Jan high in DC: 43 F

Avg Jan high in Miami: 76 F

So how is DC like Miami compared to NYC? Can you elaborate on this quite absurd suggestion?

Typically when you compare cities with a small north-south difference you find the transitional seasons are when the greatest difference obviously occurs, in other words April/May tend to be way more crappy in NYC than DC and same could be said for Oct/Nov too. The snow average isn't more than maybe 10 inches or so different but thats a pretty significant difference when you're talking 15-18 inches vs. 25-28...way less than comparing 110 vs 120.

I think the strength of the heat island in NYC proper (most notably Manhattan) has given it a climate more similar to DC, even with respect to snowfall. NYC obviously gets more snow, but there are some higher elevation areas of DC (Columbia Heights, Tenleytown, Chevy Chase, etc) that are 300-400ft above sea level that get much more snow than DCA which is at 0ft on the Potomac.

Living in both cities, I would say that DC gets a bit warmer during the day on any given winter day, but the night time lows are practically identical.

Because, having lived in both cities, the climate in each one is marginally different. NYC proper doesn't get that much more snow nor is it materially colder than DC proper. Furthermore, I was making the more general statement that the climates of each's respective metro areas similarly are not significantly different, especially the further out you get north and west.

What would you say Hagerstown averages a yr?

What would you say Hagerstown averages a yr?

Well given that as the Shenandoah Valley progresses northward, the elevation drops (Staunton, VA which is approx 130 miles south of Hagerstown is at about 1400' while Hagerstown is at like 530'), they get a bit less than places further south. But I would guess about 35" or so.

Well given that as the Shenandoah Valley progresses northward, the elevation drops (Staunton, VA which is approx 130 miles south of Hagerstown is at about 1400' while Hagerstown is at like 530'), they get a bit less than places further south. But I would guess about 35" or so.

So are you comparing places like Hagerstown to my location in regards to avg snowfall? Im just curious..

So are you comparing places like Hagerstown to my location in regards to avg snowfall? Im just curious..

You're a bit higher. If you go into the panhandle of WV which is also approx 75 miles from DC, you get avg yearly snowfall totals of 60-80" depending on elevation.

Obviously the NYC metro gets more snow than the DC metro. But it isn't some insanely greater amount that necessitates a comparison of DC to Miami.

Also, Orange County, NY isn't in the NY metro, it is in the NYC CSA which is much more broad. Same thing with Hagerstown with respect to DC.

You're a bit higher. If you go into the panhandle of WV which is also approx 75 miles from DC, you get avg yearly snowfall totals of 60-80" depending on elevation.

Obviously the NYC metro gets more snow than the DC metro. But it isn't some insanely greater amount that necessitates a comparison of DC to Miami.

Also, your town (and Orange County, NY) is not in the NYC metropolitan area. And Hagerstown (Washington County, MD) isn't technically in the DC/Baltmore metro either.

Im closer to NYC than Hagerstown is to DC. I avg 50-55". Places >1000' in my general area are pushing close to 60"

Archived