wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, how he is still allowed to post is beyond me, regardless of how long he has been around.

plus I-95 in DC is like Miami compared to around here.

LOL

What a dumb comment. DC averages just a few degrees warmer and not much less snow than NYC. In fact, parts of the DC metro west of the city average way more snow than areas of NJ and NY (my town is about 150 miles SW of DC and we average about 40" snow a year, but areas in eastern WV and western MD average over 100" of snow a year). Get a clue.

What a dumb comment. DC averages just a few degrees warmer and not much less snow than NYC. In fact, parts of the DC metro west of the city average way more snow than areas of NJ and NY (my town is about 150 miles SW of DC and we average about 40" snow a year, but areas in eastern WV and western MD average over 100" of snow a year). Get a clue.

Doesn't NYC average nearly 100% more snow the the city of DC?

DC gets clobbered during the right conditions. But NYC definitely receives many more actual snow events. Not just big events, but actual number of snow events of 1"+ of snow.

For example, DC does not do well with a 93-94 or 2008-2009 type of pattern but does great during big storm years, like 95-96 and 2009-2010.

I'm not sure why anyone would compare areas out in the mountains well west of DC to NYC suburbs...if you do that, its like saying the Catskills NW of NYC average 5 times as much as DC metro.

I'm not sure why anyone would compare areas out in the mountains well west of DC to NYC suburbs...if you do that, its like saying the Catskills NW of NYC average 5 times as much as DC metro.

Exactly. We were talking about the cities. 150 miles away from NYC would be like saying the Catskills.

why would you compare the ny city and I-95 with the mountains west of DC? You get a clue.

exactly. The poster should be banned for the tone and approach of his post. .

It can snow but we won't see anything substantial and we may waste the ridge connection you aptly point out

Come on trials, don't go all picky on me now. The Euro's finally showing a ridge connection and you complain about the east based block. It's a major step in the right direction - I will not stand for this lip you're giving me.

Come on trials, don't go all picky on me now. The Euro's finally showing a ridge connection and you complain about the east based block. It's a major step in the right direction - I will not stand for this lip you're giving me.

tempering expectations my long range friend...lol

Doesn't NYC average nearly 100% more snow the the city of DC?

DC gets clobbered during the right conditions. But NYC definitely receives many more actual snow events. Not just big events, but actual number of snow events of 1"+ of snow.

For example, DC does not do well with a 93-94 or 2008-2009 type of pattern but does great during big storm years, like 95-96 and 2009-2010.

DC metro averages about 18" (22-23" in W suburbs to 14" near DCA) and NYC metro is probably in the 26-27" range (29-30" out in suburban Westchester county to 22-23" near JFK). I'd say its about 50% more.

You can make other arguments if you keep expanding the radius beyond immediate suburbs, but if you are talking areas within 15 miles, I think 50% more is probably accurate.

DC metro averages about 18" (22-23" in W suburbs to 14" near DCA) and NYC metro is probably in the 26-27" range (29-30" out in suburban Westchester county to 22-23" near JFK). I'd say its about 50% more.

You can make other arguments if you keep expanding the radius beyond immediate suburbs, but if you are talking areas within 15 miles, I think 50% more is probably accurate.

All of NYC away from the immediate Atlantic ocean, like JFK, averages 25"-28" of snow.

Central Park, LGA and Newark all average 26"-28" of snow.

DC averages 14" and NYC average 25"-28". That's nearly 100%.

I'm talking about cities, not the area.

Uh, you are dead wrong.

DC and NYC have had similar snow climos until this past decade--NYC had an average of just over 20" from the 70s through the 90s.

People here are delusional in thinking that NYC is some kind of snow mecca; it is not. This past decade has caused major hallucinations re: what climo here is.

I can't wait till we see another decade like the 80s where DC received more than NYC almost every year. :wub:

Yes, pick NYC's worst 20 year period on record and compare it to DCA, that seems fair.

NYC is very similar to BOS snow climo as well. Just take NYC's totals from 2009-2011 and compare it to BOS's average -- yeah that's what I thought, the numbers clearly prove they're identical climos.

Yes, pick NYC's worst 20 year period on record and compare it to DCA, that seems fair.

NYC is very similar to BOS snow climo as well. Just take NYC's totals from 2009-2011 and compare it to BOS's average -- yeah that's what I thought, the numbers clearly prove they're identical climos.

i was gonna get into it Isotherm, but I'm tired.

In relative to percentages, the difference between NYC and DC is much more then the difference between NYC and Boston.

If you draw 15 miles radius around each area, the difference for Boston would be much larger because the snowfall gradient around Boston is so tight.

BTW JFK averages 22.5" long term since their reliable records began in 1965.

All of NYC away from the immediate Atlantic ocean, like JFK, averages 25"-28" of snow.

Central Park, LGA and Newark all average 26"-28" of snow.

DC averages 14" and NYC average 25"-28". That's nearly 100%.

I'm talking about cities, not the area.

No, DCA averages 14" not the city of DC...DCA is probably about as representative for DC as JFK is for NYC.

That's why you have to take multiple sites and average it over the metro area.

One thing about the future, because of the paucity of snow cover, be careful using 850 mb temperature in relation to surface temperature because the lack of snow cover in far southern Canada, U.S. northern tier to chill the air mass.

yeah, was just thinking about that. good post.

No, DCA averages 14" not the city of DC...DCA is probably about as representative for DC as JFK is for NYC.

That's why you have to take multiple sites and average it over the metro area.

Thanks. It's fair to say the NYC area average 26" or so.

What would be the number for DC? 17"?

Also, how far is appropriate? Areas of extreme NE Queens and north shore of Nassau Counties, average 27"-31".

One thing about the future, because of the paucity of snow cover, be careful using 850 mb temperature in relation to surface temperature because the lack of snow cover in far southern Canada, U.S. northern tier to chill the air mass.

Looks about normal though. http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_daily.php?ui_year=2011&ui_day=359&ui_set=0

Thats not a good sample though. Depends on the year, depending on the pattern boston cashes in and we get screwed...i think Boston is even more variable east to west. My buddy lives in newton, only 15 min west of logan and the difference is incredible, logan easily jumps to 33/34 on a northeast wind, when the western part of boston proper will be 31/32 still snowing. Boston Climo is tough to pin down. 15 min south of town and its nearly half the totals of NW burbs.

Archived