gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I probably sound like a weenie, but what exactly is Split Pact Jet Phase again? Good or bad for us? Thanks man.

PAC jet comes ashore and splits into to flows, one across canada, one down the rockies, then comes back as one jet and phases over the central US.

You can see it at the 500mb level.

Its a great thing for a big storm when you have a -NAO, here, we don't have that, so we are really toeing the line. Probably a rain storm, but could be frozen at the beginning or end depending on the evolution.

PAC jet comes ashore and splits into to flows, one across canada, one down the rockies, then comes back as one jet and phases over the central US.

You can see it at the 500mb level.

Its a great thing for a big storm when you have a -NAO, here, we don't have that, so we are really toeing the line. Probably a rain storm, but could be frozen at the beginning or end depending on the evolution.

Gotcha. Appreciate it, thanks man.

still no blocking put we do get a nice pv/sub pv to out ahead of the system which may keep the cold in place.

nice ridge out west.

All wil change a million times but the ensembles have been loving this time frame for a week, so we should see something.

On the GFS, the PV over Baffin Bay is too far north. It's evident, by the cold airmass over the Northeast eroding away, before the storm arrives. This is also when the GFS starts to truncate. I think in this setup hugs the coast too much or runs inland.

On the GFS, the PV over Baffin Bay is too far north. It's evident, by the cold airmass over the Northeast eroding away, before the storm arrives. This is also when the GFS starts to truncate. I think in this setup hugs the coast too much or runs inland.

I agree with TheTrials here; you can't take that position too literally right now and it's the best chance for snow in a while.

There will be two periods to watch. The first is with the potential for a low topped squall line

to develop ahead of the low. The second is with the CAA behind the storm. We'll need to

see exactly deep the low gets to determine the exact wind gust potential.

The wind potential is quite interesting for this storm (interesting when there's no snow to look at), and is being underforecasted in my opinion. The models are showing a strong low level jet with the rain on Tuesday night as the low tracks to our west, probably bringing another scenario where temperatures surge overnight into the lower to mid 50s along with possibly some thunder, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 40-50+ mph gusts come out of this in parts of NYC and Long Island. Behind the storm it looks like generally 25-40 mph wind gusts for Wednesday.

The 12z Euro at least through 180 hrs definitely doesn't look as favorable with the west coast ridging. The ridge axis looks to be too far west and not quite as amplified as the GFS.

EDIT: May have spoke too soon...

On ewall. The ridge looks more amplified over the Rockies at 192hrs. Looks a little warm initially. But the low occludes by 216hr over New England. So it might be rain to snow for NYC to BOS.

i'd love to give you more info in regards to precip but the 12z euro has not worked on stormvista for 2 days in a row now <_<

I havent bough SV this year, due to a lack of threatning snow storms. However, it's usually a good service (had it the last 3 years for winter months).. BUt i would raise some noise abuot it not working. For the price you pay(lets face it, mostly to see the euro) . I'd be a little p'od.

anyhow, the MJO heading towards amore pronounced phase 6 before back into the COD. At least its trying to get to phase 7. But it's better than showing that triangle of heading into the COD and then back into phase 3-5.

ensplume_full.gif

I havent bough SV this year, due to a lack of threatning snow storms. However, it's usually a good service (had it the last 3 years for winter months).. BUt i would raise some noise abuot it not working. For the price you pay(lets face it, mostly to see the euro) . I'd be a little p'od.

its not gonna break the bank but yeah its pretty annoying not being able to look at a model, but this is the first problem i ever had. Its also a really smooth site for the other models as well.

Judging by the crappy ewall maps, looks like Norfolk VA to eastern LI up to Boston for the low track.

Would imagine there is at least some front end snow on that for everyone

On Raleighwx site. The low is inland over SE VA at 192hrs. 850mb temps are very marginal in our area. If there's front end snow/mix it doesn't last long:

On Raleighwx site. The low is inland over SE VA at 192hrs. 850mb temps are very marginal in our area. If there's front end snow/mix it doesn't last long:

0 to -2 will support snow if the low goes to the east and the 925 low stays to the east, its January almost.

Biggest thing there is the isobars point to a track off the coast not inland

well see where this goes

192 540 line is just NE of KPHL and runs just NE of KNYC

198 540 line is just south of KABE and then runs thru NW NJ

204 540 line has shifted east and is just west and i mean just west of NYC

210 540 line is now off the coast except for in the Maine area

2 meter temps

192 40-45 NYC

198 40-45 NYC

204 border of 35-40 /40-45

210 35-40

All via accu pro images

192 540 line is just NE of KPHL and runs just NE of KNYC

198 540 line is just south of KABE and then runs thru NW NJ

204 540 line has shifted east and is just west and i mean just west of NYC

210 540 line is now off the coast except for in the Maine area

2 meter temps

192 40-45 NYC

198 40-45 NYC

204 border of 35-40 /40-45

210 35-40

All via accu pro images

We are doing too much analysis this far out. But just for the record what is the slp track?

We are doing too much analysis this far out. But just for the record what is the slp track?

This is exactly what this thread is made for, you can do analysis of a 192 hours storm,nothing wrong with it, especially when a lot of us who use SV dont have access to any maps.

Archived