• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

Yesterday we were looking at a lakes cutter for the day 5 storm.

Euro and other models flipped last night and now have a swfe and a coastal.

Will probably still be rain for the coast, but it bears watching.

The confluence further north will be probably be a little too strong for Lakes cutter. But I don't it will be enough to keep this storm to our south. I like a Ohio Valley to New England track. Either way, it still mostly if not all rain for the coast. But the inland areas could see more snow and sleet to begin with, on that track.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The confluence further north will be probably be a little too strong for Lakes cutter. But I don't it will be enough to keep this storm to our south. I like a Ohio Valley to New England track. Either way, it still mostly if not all rain for the coast. But the inland areas could see more snow and sleet to begin with, on that track.

Agreed. But at this point, 20 minutes of sleet would be a success.

^ The Alaskan death vortex is back. Yikes. Let's hope it's wrong and pretend we didn't see it.

As long as it's not a massive, deep vortex over Alaska and NW Canada, it won't be as bad as what we saw over November. If it's just a smaller vortex, we could still kick some heights over Western Canada, to give us a chance at something. But it wouldn't be a good pattern still for anything major.

As long as it's not a massive, deep vortex over Alaska and NW Canada, it won't be as bad as what we saw over November. If it's just a smaller vortex, we could still kick some heights over Western Canada, to give us a chance at something. But it wouldn't be a good pattern still for anything major.

I agree in principle but when the rest of the pattern is so terribly unsupportive these things become magnified. I have serious trouble we will see anything noteworthy in regards to snowfall in the city through the rest of 2011.

I agree in principle but when the rest of the pattern is so terribly unsupportive these things become magnified. I have serious trouble we will see anything noteworthy in regards to snowfall in the city through the rest of 2011.

I don't really disagree here. I'm not expecting much snow in NYC, either. But late December and early January, typical colder for us, anyway. So I can't completely rule out a light or moderate event, even this pattern, especially N&W of NYC.

the forecasted height anomolies on the 6Z GFS are absolutely atrocious.. Aside from the extreme SW U.S., the height anomolies are positive for practically 75% of the country through the entire forecast period.. and then, it ends with a massive slap in the face, especially for the midwest.. height anomolies across the extreme upper midwest and southern Canada are at least 3 SDs above normal.. check out the 850 temps... holy mother of god.. 12-16 C on January 1st... That would be absolutely unreal... it's fantasy land so it will probably never verify even close to that, but I've never seen anything like that before

Im not trolling, but look at the posts from mid-november, people said, well if no pattern change signals by mid-December, then we get worried...well, no pattern change on horizon, so im slowly getting depressed about it. The bad part is i cant even go to vt or upstate and find good skiing, in a pattern like this its all ice on the slopes, only good skiin is out west...cry.gif

Im not trolling, but look at the posts from mid-november, people said, well if no pattern change signals by mid-December, then we get worried...well, no pattern change on horizon, so im slowly getting depressed about it. The bad part is i cant even go to vt or upstate and find good skiing, in a pattern like this its all ice on the slopes, only good skiin is out west...cry.gif

I truly believe it gets better starting next week. Have a little faith, aight?

Bring your skiis to Hawaii. Guidance last year this time was a bit off, maybe again?

the forecasted height anomolies on the 6Z GFS are absolutely atrocious.. Aside from the extreme SW U.S., the height anomolies are positive for practically 75% of the country through the entire forecast period.. and then, it ends with a massive slap in the face, especially for the midwest.. height anomolies across the extreme upper midwest and southern Canada are at least 3 SDs above normal.. check out the 850 temps... holy mother of god.. 12-16 C on January 1st... That would be absolutely unreal... it's fantasy land so it will probably never verify even close to that, but I've never seen anything like that before

I strongly agree. Hopefully, the excessive warm anomalies won't verify. A period similar to early January 2007 would be a nightmare for winter weather lovers.

You're joking, right?

Not entirely. My favorite part about the past two winters was how early it snowed. Snow on the ground in December while knowing that the whole winter remains is a great feeling. Snow starting in early february does not stick around as long and we will know chances are it will melt away in a week or two.

Last winter was great with the solid snow cover for what, 55 days, something crazy, that simply wont happen if it starts in february. That being said, ill take a massive blizzard in february without a doubt.

My hope for another epic winter is fading. Sure, well see snow but i guess after last two winters its kinda lame.

I strongly agree. Hopefully, the excessive warm anomalies won't verify. A period similar to early January 2007 would be a nightmare for winter weather lovers.

I was a baby during the 1949-50 winter and that year was a nightmare...In late December 1949 and early January 1950 NYC had a minimum close to 60...Hard to believe...February 1950 was colder with snow and rain storms and the cold lingered into April...It doesn't look great for snow but you can't rule out a trailing low on a cold front like we saw a few times already...I think that senario could be our best chance for snow until February or March...

Not entirely. My favorite part about the past two winters was how early it snowed. Snow on the ground in December while knowing that the whole winter remains is a great feeling. Snow starting in early february does not stick around as long and we will know chances are it will melt away in a week or two.

Last winter was great with the solid snow cover for what, 55 days, something crazy, that simply wont happen if it starts in february. That being said, ill take a massive blizzard in february without a doubt.

My hope for another epic winter is fading. Sure, well see snow but i guess after last two winters its kinda lame.

Fair enough. Our perspectives have been warped by the last two winters.

If some solar scientists are correct, there may be more of them to come in the next few decades...But that could just be "tinfoil hat" talk at this point.

Coming from you that's good, youve been spot on so if you see it as a chance of snow it must be lol

Its a fresh cold airmass and its a weak vort sending out the moisture, that is the ONLY way we get snow in this current pattern.

I also like the day or two after xmas for something.

People won't like a light event but deal with it, it's NYC not buffalo

those people need their head examined, snow is snow, they all can't be HECS'

just seeing flakes in the air would be nice

of course it pours two days before xmas but oh well

And i REALLY like the 27th right now.

At this point I just want to see some snow...a squall...a dusting..something to remind me its December. I'd hate to go the whole month with literally not even a flake.

I noticed Sunday looks to not get out of the mid to upper 30s now. Is it just me or does it seem like the trend for the past few months has been cool on the weekends, moderating early week, torch mid week, precip and then cooling down again late in the week?

People won't like a light event but deal with it, it's NYC not buffalo

For the 12/27-28 time frame, possible split flow WITH nice ridging out west kicking the SE ridge to the curb for a little with a fresh canadian airmass and a northern \ southern stream phase?

mmmm, drool.

May even get a little help over the top of greenland for that one

Archived