joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're trending in the right direction - it's getting colder outside. Today feels like the beginning of December - mid/upper 40s, brilliant sun, and brisk NW wind. The next several days will be near normal, then with the front next week we'll finally go below normal for the first time in what seems like ages.

Yeah but 95-96 was 4 1/2 months of winter with a few breaks in between. Last year was basically a 4 to 6 week period of incredible wintry weather. It's pretty rare to have significant snow in November, Dec, Jan, Feb, March and April in the same winter

The February 1-2, 2011 blizzard was hugely dynamic, and a few Mets on here were saying if it tracked up the coast, it would have been the biggest blizzard we have ever seen. :arrowhead:

what are the odds october ends up more snowy than december in central park?

2.9" in the park in october.

if you had to bet... which month would you put money on?

Funny thing is, there are pretty strong statistics that indicate < 3" of snow in NYC prior to Jan 1 leads to below avg seasonal snowfall, while > 3" by Jan 1 generally leads to above normal winters. So technically we only need a few tenths to be on the right side of the fence, but I'd feel more comfortable if Dec penciled in at least a few inches.

Front comes through Wednesday night on GFS. Only 6 days away.

Bad sign is when models keep delaying cold fronts. At least this one seems like it will actually occur:

I this what we have been reduced to? Looking for cold fronts at 160 hours? 24 hours later the ridge is back.

I this what we have been reduced to? Looking for cold fronts at 160 hours? 24 hours later the ridge is back.

We have to look for what the pattern gives us. We will see some cold, but need blocking to show up to give us good snow chances. It's hard to say when that will happen. Until then, we look for well-timed events.

What a difference a year makes - sneering and mocking 12" snowstorms to falling on our hands and knees begging for a day of below average temps. Feels like last winter is worlds away at this point.

The cold fronts even have a tough time getting to the east coast..at least 01-02 had a few days of cold weather at times..if you cant a front thru this time of year it's quite remarkable..if 12z OP GFS is to be believed it would be another record warm month for December..being this it is a weak to mod Nina..are there any analogs for the warmth we have seen so far? 98-99?..strong first year nina after massive nino..99-00?..maybe?

or hopefully 67-68..winter set in right after Christmas..very cold January

71.178.183.8.334.9.57.7.png

2000 barely made it but there was <3 until the 30th. 2004 and 1986 were also below and ended up near or above normal (both had significant storms on January 22nd)

Funny thing is, there are pretty strong statistics that indicate < 3" of snow in NYC prior to Jan 1 leads to below avg seasonal snowfall, while > 3" by Jan 1 generally leads to above normal winters. So technically we only need a few tenths to be on the right side of the fence, but I'd feel more comfortable if Dec penciled in at least a few inches.

JB updated his winter call-mostly ave temps here (NYC METRO) with average snows...he pulled the above normal snow line back northwest--calls for alot of cutters with some secondarying. temp map looks more like a gradient pattern....says a warm Jan would lead to a cold Feb/Mar, but says a cold Jan would give us the opposite.

Wow thats the same as my forecast. Around normal snow but could be more, but maybe not, Some cold but could be warm. That's worse than the "equal chances" of above/below/normal.

Just curious why does Feb/March have to be the opposite of January? The past 2 winters all 3 months were very different in terms of temps and snow.

JB updated his winter call-mostly ave temps here (NYC METRO) with average snows...he pulled the above normal snow line back northwest--calls for alot of cutters with some secondarying. temp map looks more like a gradient pattern....says a warm Jan would lead to a cold Feb/Mar, but says a cold Jan would give us the opposite.

Pretty big backing off if you ask me - we're now on the warm side of normal instead of cold, and on the below side of normal rather than above in terms of snowfall. Even JB seems to be caving a bit. I'm still confident in my above norm snow call for now.

Archived