joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a while out but at least the GFS shows a low near the coast. It will most likely change once again on the next run.:lol:

The depiction the GFS shows tonight is one the models show alot in the long range but rarely verifies with a wave forming on the front offshore. The depictions yesterday and on the Euro of the more negatively tilted trough with the low cutting NNW across New England would be the scenario needed to get some sort of post frontal snow band.

Here is a post I just wrote (scheduled to be posted at 12am) which essentially details some thoughts on the pattern through Dec. Happy winter, dudes.

http://nymetrowx.blo...-here-does.html

Great post John. Nothing really to argue with in it. Once the PNA ridging relaxes by mid month, we're left with an unfavorable arctic, north atlantic, and north pacific, which is the unholy trio of miserable winter weather. With no help from the MJO for the forseeable future, we may be on suicide watch for the Dec 15th-25th period. I checked stratospheric anomalies and forecasts for the next 1-2 weeks, cold to very cold conditions look to prevail. Geomagnetic activity is quiet, however, and I do expect this to kick in sooner or later with regards to blocking. There should be improvement by the last week of December, how much improvement, I'm not sure yet. As far as snowfall, it's going to be about luck timing short waves w/ cold shots given there's no blocking to hold antecedent airmasses in place over the Northeast. And generally when we bet on lucky timing, we come up short. So I'm not very optimistic about snow accumulation most of this month for I-95. Cold air on the other hand, I think we'll see plenty of that.

If you think about it, January through October was incredibly eventful. Snowstorms in January February and October. Consecutive days above one hundred degrees Fahrenheit. Top two yearly precipitation totals. An August tropical storm/hurricane. Then November is incredibly benign, and it looks like December will be as well.

If you think about it, January through October was incredibly eventful. Snowstorms in January February and October. Consecutive days above one hundred degrees Fahrenheit. Top two yearly precipitation totals. An August tropical storm/hurricane. Then November is incredibly benign, and it looks like December will be as well.

ive been thinking about that as well....its like we've been on and off for a month or two at a time with extreme volatility. not that im expecting jan or feb to be extreme but it wouldnt suprise me.

ive been thinking about that as well....its like we've been on and off for a month or two at a time with extreme volatility. not that im expecting jan or feb to be extreme but it wouldnt suprise me.

Remember, this is La Niña. Volatility is the norm.

Great post John. Nothing really to argue with in it. Once the PNA ridging relaxes by mid month, we're left with an unfavorable arctic, north atlantic, and north pacific, which is the unholy trio of miserable winter weather. With no help from the MJO for the forseeable future, we may be on suicide watch for the Dec 15th-25th period. I checked stratospheric anomalies and forecasts for the next 1-2 weeks, cold to very cold conditions look to prevail. Geomagnetic activity is quiet, however, and I do expect this to kick in sooner or later with regards to blocking. There should be improvement by the last week of December, how much improvement, I'm not sure yet. As far as snowfall, it's going to be about luck timing short waves w/ cold shots given there's no blocking to hold antecedent airmasses in place over the Northeast. And generally when we bet on lucky timing, we come up short. So I'm not very optimistic about snow accumulation most of this month for I-95. Cold air on the other hand, I think we'll see plenty of that.

Thanks bud. Very much agreed on all counts. We've really been in lock-step so far leading up to this winter.

Now that it's December 1st, let the games begin.

PS---The MJO, in the back of my mind, has me a little concerned. Having it loop back into the COD and then into Phases 3-4 in Late Dec would be an electric bath timeline of events.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed reading it.

Not much more can be said about the pattern at this point, from here on out it's a waiting game.

It is a good read. I'm glad you pointed out a quicker change can happen. We also have to watch for well-timed snows. Those probably won't be major the next couple weeks, but would add to the winter feel.

Archived