Newest Member
    Toothache
December 16th event

RaleighWx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSP call for MBY mid-week.

Tuesday Night: Increasing clouds, with a low around 21. West wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.

Wednesday: A slight chance of snow after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow and sleet before midnight, then a chance of rain between midnight and 3am, then a chance of rain or freezing rain after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Thursday: Rain or freezing rain likely, becoming all rain after 9am. Cloudy, with a high near 47

GSP call for MBY mid-week.

Tuesday Night: Increasing clouds, with a low around 21. West wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.

Wednesday: A slight chance of snow after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow and sleet before midnight, then a chance of rain between midnight and 3am, then a chance of rain or freezing rain after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Thursday: Rain or freezing rain likely, becoming all rain after 9am. Cloudy, with a high near 47

That's about the same one I have.

Wednesday Night: Rain and snow likely before 1am, then freezing rain and sleet likely. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Thursday: Rain and snow likely, becoming all rain after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 47. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Why do some people feel the need to mention storms and post maps of storms a week away in a thread about a storm a few days away? These threads are long enough without having to sift through stuff a week away.

Btw, nothing but rain in Columbia this week. Moving on.

GFS_3_2010121306_F78_35.0000N_79.5000W.png

For my area this is the GFS model sounding. Prior to this it keeps the lowest levels too dry for much to reach the ground but this would be a classic IP/ZR sounding. If the GFS taken verbatim the Southern Pines area and points south of Raleigh would likely see a few flakes at the start going to cold rain by the late morning on Thursday. I am hoping the low levels can moisten up quicker than the model indicates. That will be key to getting any SN.

Man, looks like things aren't so good now for Thursday, and we're just three days out.

:facepalm: FML seriously...dude you never learn. Models don't handle these systems well, we have some "ducks on the pond" as the saying goes so let's wait till we're much closer to decide if it's looking bad. Right now it's looking good for the threat. Watch Matthew East's weather package or read Roberts thoughts.

:facepalm: FML seriously...dude you never learn. Models don't handle these systems well, we have some "ducks on the pond" as the saying goes so let's wait till we're much closer to decide if it's looking bad. Right now it's looking good for the threat. Watch Matthew East's weather package or read Roberts thoughts.

I didn't say it was a total lost. I just said things don't look as good right now as they did yesterday. I know there is time for change.

Man, looks like things aren't so good now for Thursday, and we're just three days out.

doesnt look horrible, and still have frozen precip in the forecast. i will take it pre-christmas in the se. i would like to see some kind of system mid week, esp as cold as its been and as cold as the ground is

Yep this run has all of NC out of the game at 75hrs. We get a small clip of some SN/ZR and that's about it.

Looks impressive for the mountains though, from at least 60-66 hours, as we go from a solid snow sounding to this classic freezing rain sounding:

post-1348-0-27380100-1292251410.png

This could catch folks by surprise. Snow then ice = not good for driving.

at 63 825 warms to .2.

Surface looks to be below freezing.

I-85 N and W is freezing or below at SFC until between hour 72 and 75.....

60-63 is a SN sounding for this area as warm nose comes in at 63-66

Looks impressive for the mountains though, from at least 60-66 hours, as we go from a solid snow sounding to this classic freezing rain sounding:

post-1348-0-27380100-1292251410.png

This could catch folks by surprise. Snow then ice = not good for driving.

It gives the area (S. foothills) a little window of hope.....

Just need a good clipper to pin my hopes on :)

Love the sig!!

Well, I think we can see the writing on the wall with this one. Might be worth watching another couple of model cycles, but this is the time where you want to start to see things trending more favorably....not the other way.

Archived