• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 16th event

RaleighWx

some of GA yes, but not all I don't think. So far the moisture is coming from NW at first then due west, and mainly looks to affect northern third of GA initially, while theres still cold air and low dewpoints. The trends though continue to sink south a little. Still plenty of time on this, but If I were in N. Ga I would be seriously watching the models and forecasts...that would be the best chance at snow or ice I think.

Interesting because the models are having trouble on that aspect. i dont' trust it. They all have a distinct drying on this side of the Apps, while giving TN and KY almost 1". Its really early to make a forecast on qpf yet though, so I'd wait until later, but for now "significant".

Thats correct and remember dp's will be in the single digits east of the apps going into wedngt.....

xwx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice picture, James...just realized what it was...the CAROLINA CRUSHER! :thumbsup: I was 14 I believe, you were probably a lot younger haha...

I was only seven at the time. Wow, it's hard to believe it was that long. I remember it quite vividly, though. It's one of the earliest snows I can remember well. I went to bed that night expecting 2-4" of snow and that I would go to school the next morning, then woke up at 8:53 AM wondering what was up. I looked outside and was amazed at the sheer amount of snow everywhere.

If I was older, I would have stayed up all that night and actually seen the magical snowfall, but alas.

We got a nice dumping of 5" or so a week before the Crusher, as well.

I remember playing in this huge snow pile at the Greensboro Coliseum weeks/months later that was still there. It was tens of feet high. If I recall, it was pretty warm that February, unfortunately.

I hope to see something similar to that again. I thought we may get that last January 30th, but it stopped short at 8" (not that I will complain about that!).

Im ready to see how the 00z GFS looks, im pulling for a nice event weds night into this weekend since ill be headed to northern sc weds morning through Christmas.

00z gfs.....looks lighter ans warmer below 850mb..........strong low level winds from the sw on this run gives the north carolina piedmont alot of zr,,,,,,,,,,,,no sn..........

xwx

yes it will....and the hi sn ratios...........

xwx

:huh: Ratios don't look that high even where it snows with the wed/thur system. Throw in the fact you are talking about amounts on a system 3 days away that might not even happen yet, the weenism here is a bit much. You need to reel it back a little bit. Indeed the gfs doesn't look that impressive at all.

I was 16 then and will never forget that night in Cary.

I was in kindergarten during that storm. I remember measuring 29 inches in my yard at my dads house, which is truly amazing when you're 5 years old.

The case study of the storm was really interesting to read, because I never had figured out why we got so much more snow than we were supposed to.

Yeah, you all got a good bit more than I that night. I "only" got a foot. arrowheadsmiley.png

The January 18th-30th period was the best wintry weather period of my life, though, with two snow events and two light ZR events.

00z gfs.....looks lighter ans warmer below 850mb..........strong low level winds from the sw on this run gives the north carolina piedmont alot of zr,,,,,,,,,,,,no sn..........

xwx

Ok, now I know you are full of it. There are no "strong low level winds" on the gfs on any sounding anywhere in the carolinas. Unless of course you consider 5 knots strong. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't bother. No one has the patience for it and I sure don't.

:huh: Ratios don't look that high even where it snows with the wed/thur system. Throw in the fact you are talking about amounts on a system 3 days away that might not even happen yet, the weenism here is a bit much. You need to reel it back a little bit. Indeed the gfs doesn't look that impressive at all.

sn ratio 20-27<15.1............this per nam 00z guidance sir..........gfs tngt is zr and no sn for the piedmonts at face value...........The 940-945mb to 1000mb is screaming zr per gfs tngt

xwx

Its not a north trend by any means. Its a slower start time and it looks weaker at the onset so the evaporative cooling does not take full effect before 2m temps warm. This is NOT further north.

Yep. Just not as wet as prior runs. With a situation like this, you need evaporational cooling to help you with no caa source.

Its not a north trend by any means. Its a slower start time and it looks weaker at the onset so the evaporative cooling does not take full effect before 2m temps warm. This is NOT further north.

Yeah, you're right. I just took a quick look at it and thought it was further north, but no dice.

I guess we'll see what the infamous Dr. No has to say tonight.

Well this doesn't mean squat from 6+ days out. So yes I'll take the foot of snow this weekend off the GFS. What's interesting is it agrees with the euro 12z run. Not Identical, but see's the pattern and paints a very simillar picture. As for mid-week. I'll listen to Robert and wait and see if it's a hicup or what. Still expect a minimum of front end icing in Triad even with this gfs run. I just know that in the past the gfs always use to hic-up, loose storms e.t.c in day 3-5 range. Not sure if that old sterotype still applies after it got a facelift last year.

gfs_p24_168s.gif

It sure is nice to have the gfs showing the weekend storm now. Especially knowing it's moving towards the euro solution. There's not going to be much sleeping this week.

Well you and I are going to need more cold air for both these chances. Every major model has the storm, do hopefully someone can get some snow.

Well you and I are going to need more cold air for both these chances. Every major model has the storm, do hopefully someone can get some snow.

At this point I'm more worried about the cold air on Thursday. With the scond system I'm more worried about if there's is going to be a storm. It was nice to see the gfs go to more of a euro solution. If the models are still showing the storm later in the week then I'll start worrying about the track. More than likely that will determine our p-type but it's way to early in the game to worry about that.

Long-term excerpt from KCAE's discussion tonight:

MEDIUM RANGE MODELS ARE IN FAIR AGREEMENT WITH GENERAL UPPER LEVEL

AND SURFACE PRESSURE PATTERN STARTING WEDNESDAY...SHOWING A CLOSED

UPPER LOW OVER NEW ENGLAND WITH AN ATTENDANT COASTAL LOW LIFTING

INTO EASTERN CANADA BY THURSDAY. RESULTING NEARLY ZONAL MID LEVEL

FLOW ACROSS THE COUNTRY THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES

TO WARM STEADILY TO NEAR NORMAL VALUES BY FRIDAY ACROSS THE FORECAST

AREA. THERE IS SOME DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THE MODELS REGARDING A

LOW AMPLITUDE SHORTWAVE MOVING THROUGH THE MID LEVEL FLOW WHICH

COULD BRING SOME PRECIPITATION TO THE AREA AS EARLY AS WEDNESDAY

NIGHT OR AS LATE AS FRIDAY. THE GFS IS FASTER AND QUICKER TO MOVE

THE PRECIPITATION INTO THE AREA COMPARED TO OTHER GUIDANCE.

WILL LEAN TOWARDS HPC GUIDANCE...WHICH IS BASED ON SLOWER ECMWF

TIMING. THIS LINES UP WELL WITH CURRENT FORECAST GRIDS FOR

PERSISTENCE SAKE GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTY. IT IS WORTH NOTING THAT

DEPENDING ON THE TIMING OF PRECIPITATION...THERE COULD BE THE

POSSIBILITY FOR FREEZING/FROZEN PRECIPITATION WITH THIS SYSTEM AND

WILL NEED TO BE WATCHED THIS WEEK.

500 MB FLOW BECOMES AMPLIFIED ONCE AGAIN FOR THE WEEKEND AND COLD

AIR IS EXPECTED AGAIN TO SETTLE OVER THE FORECAST AREA...DROPPING

TEMPERATURES BELOW NORMAL. THE GFS IS SHOWING THE POTENTIAL FOR A

COASTAL LOW TO QUICKLY DEVELOP DUE TO HIGHLY AMPLIFIED MID LEVEL

FLOW ON SATURDAY...BUT IS AN OUTLIER WITH THIS SOLUTION AND

THEREFORE WILL BE DISREGARDED AT THIS TIME.

Archived