Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential winter threats

tombo82685

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post hr 192 the euro hooks the block up with se ridge. the euro is getting wacky now, it cuts off a storm just off hatteras, sub 984

Not totally wacky given the blocking that's present on this specific run. It actually wraps the CCB around and hits Long Island..coastal NJ..and eventually Eastern MD and VA with snows at 212hrs.

Wow...the closer we get to this blocking event, the more extreme the guidance seems to get with it's presence. This pattern is going to have a sharp cutoff, but if we get any stronger shortwaves in this flow, the potential definitely exists for something towards the significant end of the spectrum...specifically from Philly north..as long as that confluent block isn't over-powerful.

f204.gif

When you look at the broader picture, in the perspective of the upper level flow, the Euro is certainly getting there. It's trended towards a better looking depiction aloft the past several runs with this feature. We will have to see where this ultimately ends up going, but all of the attention flags are up as far as I am concerned. I like what I see.

f168.gif

I can only imagine what this pattern would look like without the blocking that we have in place...we would probably all be outside in bermuda shorts.

That would suit me just fine.

Yep - the NAO is our savior this winter.

Why? Cold air with no snow is like sex without an orgasm. Both are pretty much a huge bummer.

This is similar to last winter in a sense with the PV over the Canadian Maritimes, the faster it erodes, the more north the system can come. The longer it lingers, the more sheared/suppressed the system will get. The thermal field for snow vs other ptypes does not look that wide so what's good for Philly may not be good for DC or what's good for NYC may not be good for Philly, etc

Unless the polar vortex over SE Canada gets out of the way this thing is not going to realize it's full potential. What we need is for the ridge to have time to become more established out ahead of this thing with high pressure over SE Canada and then we can really talk. On the GFS, all we end up with is weak troughing and 1008 mb low at 138hrs on the op 0z run which then gets shunted out to sea. The current track reminds me of a storm from last year where I was under a winter storm warning in Morris County, NJ and the only thing we got the whole night was virga. I kept waiting for the precip shield to advance north but it stayed put just as all the models had predicted with a very sharp cutoff. Areas less than 50 miles from me to the south saw over a foot and I didnt even get a trace.

Yes, this is what I've been saying. The only thing holding this further north is that high pressure system just to the southeast of Florida. If that wasn't there, this would most certainly be a fish storm. That's also why the surface is plenty cold but 850s are way up there.

The diff between the 06z run and 12z was with the 50/50 low being weaker......which allowed for the further north advancment of the preciep.

12z 500mb

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/12/images/gfs_500_120m.gif

06z 500mb

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/06/images/gfs_500_120m.gif

I'm new here and was on easternuswx.com before it was axed lol......just wanted to say that in my few years of following weather a storm system that's 120 hours out is going to change a bunch of times either good or bad for the east coast. Were in a decent pattern right now cold is around nao is about to tank, the pacific eh. waffling in the models is gonna happen and think this is still a legitiment threat for the east coast.

Archived