Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential winter threats

tombo82685

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z gfs now has a pretty bad ice storm for va and brings snow into dc and balt area. On this run, the northern extent of the moisture is to the m/d line

Yeah brings a warnning level snowfall to DC....then it gets sheared out......Love how we have a threat on all the models...7 days out.....thats all we want to see

Good point but I hope this event is predominantly snow for most locations.

I'd think that as long as our huge west based -NAO stays put with out nice 50/50 in place there isn't much room for a northerly trend (if everything is modeled correctly which is a big if) but I doubt we'll see non-frozen precip if the storm ends up impacting us there is no way any LP is driving into that block.

It's something to track...I'll give folks that but I don't see SECS from it. Decent is possible though.

eh if we get enough ice... or high ratios. whichever, lol. both are in play at this point.

and the idea that its a weekday makes it better too. but otherwise yeah it seems like nothing too major. im fine with that though. a nice 2-4" or 3-6" would be great

this is pretty interesting for dc at that timeframe when that storm is coming, bufkit gives them a 17-1 to 18-1 snow ratio. Gives them 2.5 inches on .16 qpf, surface temps in the mid 20s, so the cold air is present.

http://www.meteor.ia...m/gfs3_kdca.dat

how are these ratios calculated though? if the 850s are warmer, is that taken into account? or are the 850s only warm from VA south?

Archived