Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential winter threats

tombo82685

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed tim, just need that low to move further north to bring the confluence a little further north...

Also its a legit threat.....i just want some snow....I know it may not look secys....but we need to get last year out of our heads and just take what we can get.

Love how chi get close to .5 on this run for that storm also

Unless the polar vortex over SE Canada gets out of the way this thing is not going to realize it's full potential. What we need is for the ridge to have time to become more established out ahead of this thing with high pressure over SE Canada and then we can really talk. On the GFS, all we end up with is weak troughing and 1008 mb low at 138hrs on the op 0z run which then gets shunted out to sea. The current track reminds me of a storm from last year where I was under a winter storm warning in Morris County, NJ and the only thing we got the whole night was virga. I kept waiting for the precip shield to advance north but it stayed put just as all the models had predicted with a very sharp cutoff. Areas less than 50 miles from me to the south saw over a foot and I didnt even get a trace.

Unless the polar vortex over SE Canada gets out of the way this thing is not going to realize it's full potential. What we need is for the ridge to have time to become more established out ahead of this thing with high pressure over SE Canada and then we can really talk. On the GFS, all we end up with is weak troughing and 1008 mb low at 138hrs on the op 0z run which then gets shunted out to sea. The current track reminds me of a storm from last year where I was under a winter storm warning in Morris County, NJ and the only thing we got the whole night was virga. I kept waiting for the precip shield to advance north but it stayed put just as all the models had predicted with a very sharp cutoff. Areas less than 50 miles from me to the south saw over a foot and I didnt even get a trace.

I woudn't say gets out of the way; we don't want too much ridging. Especially in a strong nina year w/ an unfavorable north pacific sgnal, if we lose the 50-50 low, we'll end up with the s/w tracking too far north for wintry precip.

Do you think this occurs because the shortwave and associated energy is isolated? I imagine that the lower resolution ensembles would encounter some problems.

i havent seen the 0z indiv ens yet. But i know the 18z ens were not really as bullish, they sheared the first wave out around the 144hr probably do to the location of that low near maine. Like the ens are showing, there must be and embedded shortwave streaming west to east that they are picking up on 3 days later and bring it north.

Archived