Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential winter threats

tombo82685

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reason why it dies out late Thursday is b/c the 50-50 is actually a bit too far south. We need the Greenland block / 50-50 couplet to shift northward at least 200-300 miles to put us in the game for overrunning. Right now, the short wave ejects eastnortheast but runs into strong NWLY confluence behind the departing low from the dec 13th-14th event. Thus we're left with nothing.

30aq0wl.jpg

Reason why it dies out late Thursday is b/c the 50-50 is actually a bit too far south. We need the Greenland block / 50-50 couplet to shift northward at least 200-300 miles to put us in the game for overrunning. Right now, the short wave ejects eastnortheast but runs into strong NWLY confluence behind the departing low from the dec 13th-14th event. Thus we're left with nothing.

30aq0wl.jpg

It truly is amazing how much has to go right for a decent snowfall for the Mid-Atlantic/ N. Mid-Atlantic... If it isnt one thing its another..

It truly is amazing how much has to go right for a decent snowfall for the Mid-Atlantic/ N. Mid-Atlantic... If it isnt one thing its another..

It's one of those years in a Mod-Strong Nina....

1995-1996 and 2009-2010 were banner years and everything went right....

If there is so much confluence, why are the upper-levels being forecasted to be so warm? Perhaps it is because the GFS isn't picking up on CAD?

If there is so much confluence, why are the upper-levels being forecasted to be so warm? Perhaps it is because the GFS isn't picking up on CAD?

It's not so much the confluence as it is the orientation of the upper level flow. Look at the northwest winds at H5 that are completely compressing the storm system. It's also doing so while keeping a fresh supply of cold arctic air out of the picture. If the H5 orientation of that vortex was more elongated west to east, we would be setup better.

Well in a strong La Nina, yes, we need a nearly ideal pattern to get a SECS/MECS. There's a reason why basically no KU events occur in strong ninas.

It's not so much the confluence as it is the orientation of the upper level flow. Look at the northwest winds at H5 that are completely compressing the storm system. It's also doing so while keeping a fresh supply of cold arctic air out of the picture. If the H5 orientation of that vortex was more elongated west to east, we would be setup better.

Well said. If the vortex were further NE, we'd see the elongated W-E flow you noted.

Except last year.

Not sure if I would be considered N. Mid-Atlantic but last yr was a "good" yr here... Nothing off the charts like areas further south experienced.. My 30 yr avg here is roughly 50" with the last 7 yrs averaging 66"... Last yr I finished with 76" ... Not to mention the fact that 52" of that fell in Feb.

Strongly agree, I think the pattern will fall apart after mid winter and return to "typical" strong nina climo (warm for us). Our best chances may be within the next month.

Well, if 1955-1956 is the decent analog, then maybe March? I know its silly to base it on analogs...

Strongly agree, I think the pattern will fall apart after mid winter and return to "typical" strong nina climo (warm for us). Our best chances may be within the next month.

weren't you predicting a -NAO winter? Or are you just assuming that in addition to the terrible pacific the -NAO becomes east based...and our atlantic goes in the crapper as well

weren't you predicting a -NAO winter? Or are you just assuming that in addition to the terrible pacific the -NAO becomes east based...and our atlantic goes in the crapper as well

Yeah I predicted a -NAO for this winter, but weakening by late jan and especially february when the nina takes control. I went colder than normal for Jan and warm for feb.

1955-56 was also cold dec/jan and warm in feb, before turning back cool in march.

Well, if 1955-1956 is the decent analog, then maybe March? I know its silly to base it on analogs...

Chris, the big event in 55-56 happened when the NAO went strongly neg (March), so yeah - one would think that w/ the pattern progged for the next couple weeks, we'd get something out of it.

this setup brings flashbacks to last year...hr 144 some precip has spilled over the border, but it looks to stay underneath again...just need to move that low just to the north of maine more to the north and we are good

Its more expansive with the preciep and jucier, like what i see 144 hrs out.....

Archived