• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - III

Baroclinic Zone

32.3/28 here. Just put down some melter on my deck--who woudl have thought I'd be introuble for not shoveling it on October 27! lol All iced over and my back door to its' my one egress that's not dealing with roof slides.

Why?!, Bad for the deck, regardless of the decking whether it be wood or composite.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reports of snow mixing about 10 miles west of NYC already.....S of philly big wet snowflakes flying in brite banding (way earlier than forecast) hmmmmm i wonder if the 128 corridor is gonna get blown up later tonite....this storm is going down in the record books with an exclamation mark

nuked!

looks like snow..smells like snow here on the valley floor...seems like a lot of talk about less in the way of dynamics..i do not expect much here as usual but was hoping to watch it rip elsewhere on radar with 4hr rates and all that stuff...i thought this system was primed to put two feet down at 2k and well over a foot at 1k..

radar looks pretty impressive compared to when i got up around 530am.

The dynamics with this system are going to be fun to watch. As an example here is the 06z NAM depiction of the 1.5 PVU surface.

Aloft you can see the stratospheric intrusion, or trop fold, extending down to around 700 mb. From the surface extending upward, you can see latent heat release generated PV. These two features in combination will increase the cyclonic circulation of the rapidly developing system. You can see the evidence of that with the wind speed that is overlaid in green. A core of 60-70 knot northeasterly winds behind the PV anomaly, and aloft 100-120 knot exiting jet streak. In both cases any amount of convective mixing could allow for some significant wind gusts. For reference, the NAM (and GFS/EC) roll this trop fold right over the Cape.

Great post, this is really getting that Dec 05 appeal, as Will stated earlier a tad slower LLJ but each run had deepened it. If the NAM is right CCod gets destroyed. Not literally but AMWX style destroyed.

Great post, this is really getting that Dec 05 appeal, as Will stated earlier a tad slower LLJ but each run had deepend it. If the NAM is right CCod gets destroyed. Not literally but AMWX style destroyed.

I know it's out there somewhere on the internet, but I'm trying to find a similar cross section from 12/9/05.

I think I just deleted my post by mistake but the 13z RUC was a litlte east, more in line now with the 12z NAM coming in.

It's marginally warmer if you look at the 1000-850 temps and the the 850 -5c line. Not bad, there's still the epic period as the storm passes the cape.

Notice that between about 15-21 the storm goes epic, the delayed response the Euro had as it waits for the remnant energy of Rina.

Sleet and rain in toms river,nj...15 miles from the water

Hey if your stuck in town later come by for a beer. Definitely has that snowy feel to it today. Still below freezing so im hoping for a straight to snow type deal but im thinking it wont matter very much as it wont take long if it has to switch over.

Scott check out the bagginess well south the HRRR had and the NAM now sees...old girl rina.

As that is ingested around 15 hours this thing just goes bezerk and all areas could get crushed in the CCB hook of death.

The CCB signal is pretty amazing, the easterly wind anomalies at 850 mb are running around -5 SDs.

Just a hair east. The 12z is now bringing the 100 knot contour of the jet down to 600 mb, only by the time it is well out to sea.

Euro wins again. Now does it continue to nudge east at 12z as well..ie the subtle trend east as Rina interacts is picked up moreso by the Euro? I think it might.

It I were Will I'd have a giant stiffy right now. He's in the best spot for not uplanders.

Scott check out the bagginess well south the HRRR had and the NAM now sees...old girl rina.

As that is ingested around 15 hours this thing just goes bezerk and all areas could get crushed in the CCB hook of death.

Talk dirty. Nowcast seems to be over-performing, bodes well. DYNAMICS FTW.

Earlier start - later finish. Burst of 2"hr rates for an encore in morning for an hour or two! Bravo!

Archived