amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part III

Chicago Storm

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually doesn't go that far to the west of us. In fact, before the 6z runs today, ALL of the reputable models showed the storm staying just to our S & E. Now, the 12z EURO/NAM take the sfc center right over us. So it would only take a small adjustment southerly to get us back in the game.

And yes, the coastal transfer does seem to cut off the WAA, but *if* the EURO/NAM are correct, it'll at best be a very wet snow, and probably a rain/snow mix. So we're still "in the game" but we're going to have to stop the models trending further north, and probably need a bit of a shift to the south. Now, even if the EURO ended up being correct, we could still get some modest accumulating snow when the coastal revs up. But to turn this into a "big storm" we need those trends I mentioned above to come to fruition.

Totally don't take this the wrong way, just a question. Given your location, wouldn't you be better located in the east coast region threads like upstate NY/Penn? Or do you just like central better? I wouldn't blame you if you did thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

you think this storm might be sleety?

It's probably cold rain to snow for you. I would bet you start around 40F and then free fall when the front moves through. Flash freeze? Let's hope you can keep enough moisture when the cold air comes in, to at least whiten up the ground. This way you'll have snow to melt next week when the Euro's blowtorch hits.:P

Totally don't take this the wrong way, just a question. Given your location, wouldn't you be better located in the east coast region threads like upstate NY/Penn? Or do you just like central better? I wouldn't blame you if you did thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Geographically, yes, but as far as our climates' are concerned, no. Upstate NY is a land of MECSes and Lake effect snow, which I get neither of (the only reason I mentioned the coastal this time is because the EURO depicts it as an inland storm. If it were a true coastal, I'd be too far west). I'd say my climate is much more similar to Detroit than it is Buffalo, even though Buffalo's a lot closer.

looks like on the 15Z sref mean that it's further north like the nam/euro

Doesn't surprise me given the information. A more phased solution will result in a farther N solution, and it seems a more phased system is where we are headed. This is a good case where the NAM (12z) can be given some credence. NAM does ok with stronger cyclogenesis. For once I am interested in the 18Z to see if it continues a trend N.

One of the better non-mets imo..... you don't let your inner weenie make your calls...kudo's!

bit of a buzzkill at times tho :P

I've gotten better with my calls but can think of a dozen non-mets better.

As for this storm, i was liking a track from iowa through north central illinois to around detroit, but baroclinic's posts have me thinking about shifting that 50-100 miles north to more or less over chicago into southern lower michigan (and even that's probably too far south), which would mean, killer dryslut.

With the dynamics there anyone who is in close proximity to the 850mb low will have a shot at a quick change over to heavy, heavy snow and it can happen in the blink of an eye. Thus I think the anyone along and North of I 80 call is probably a good one to ride right now. Things appear to be getting narrowed down better, but energy is still not fully sampled. I'll be interested to see what the 00Z models do this evening. I do think I 80 is about the cut off though between good snows and a lot of slop and some light back end snows. But I've seen some systems very similar to this in the past where the column cools so rapidly heavy snow ends up surprising a few folks...and a lot more accumulates than called for. I'd say don't give up in Cedar Rapids/Rockford/Chicago/Detroit areas just yet. Quad Cities area like myself- I'm not so sure we don't end up with something halfway decent out of this (say 5-9"). Like I said, I'll be real interested in seeing the models tonight :)

As for this storm, i was liking a track from iowa through north central illinois to around detroit, but baroclinic's posts have me thinking about shifting that 50-100 miles north to more or less over chicago into southern lower michigan (and even that's probably too far south), which would mean, killer dryslut.

Isn't that what I've been saying?

As for this storm, i was liking a track from iowa through north central illinois to around detroit, but baroclinic's post have me thinking about shifting that 50-100 miles north to more or less over chicago into southern lower michigan, which would mean, killer dryslut.

Well there's the core posters on here that makes this forum what it is like hoosier, thunder, chicagowx, you, and more that I'm missing that really know your stuff and have the respect form a lot as non-mets....

I have never been more confused over a storm, but feel north is the only way to go with this, but think it's still going to surprise.

haha sorry im also going to respond to this since i live in the toronto region to. I feel as though southern ontario is in a the grey area between the North East and Mid West. I occasionally read the upstate NY/ PA but i just feel like the Midwest is the closest to my region. I feel as though I have much more in common with detroit-chicago than syracuse-Binghamton. And if i dared venture into the legit east coast forums i dont think i would survive haha :P

e

Is the fact that this first clipper is bringing warmer air north allowing the second storm to track further north or does the clipper really have nothing to do with this storm? If there is no clipper, I would assume the second storm would track further south due to colder air being in place. Thanks in advance for any input.

With the dynamics there anyone who is in close proximity to the 850mb low will have a shot at a quick change over to heavy, heavy snow and it can happen in the blink of an eye. Thus I think the anyone along and North of I 80 call is probably a good one to ride right now. Things appear to be getting narrowed down better, but energy is still not fully sampled. I'll be interested to see what the 00Z models do this evening. I do think I 80 is about the cut off though between good snows and a lot of slop and some light back end snows. But I've seen some systems very similar to this in the past where the column cools so rapidly heavy snow ends up surprising a few folks...and a lot more accumulates than called for. I'd say don't give up in Cedar Rapids/Rockford/Chicago/Detroit areas just yet. Quad Cities area like myself- I'm not so sure we don't end up with something halfway decent out of this (say 5-9"). Like I said, I'll be real interested in seeing the models tonight :)

Yes, good point regarding deeper solutions. Deeper cyclogenesis results in more significant height falls/colder low levels so folks looking at thicknesses need to be careful since what look like rain/snow or rain cold be heavy snow. Happens a lot with deep solutions owing to dynamic height falls.

haha sorry im also going to respond to this since i live in the toronto region to. I feel as though southern ontario is in a the grey area between the North East and Mid West. I occasionally read the upstate NY/ PA but i just feel like the Midwest is the closest to my region. I feel as though I have much more in common with detroit-chicago than syracuse-Binghamton. And if i dared venture into the legit east coast forums i dont think i would survive haha :P

e

Haha, I don't blame you.

And just so you guys know, I meant no harm.

Don't see any huge difference at H5 through 36. Maybe a little more spread out with the height contours around the s/w, but that doesn't seem to having any huge effects with the sfc depiction.

Looks like it's staying the course to me.

By 42 it's maybe a hair south of 12 at 850 and slightly stronger with the southern 850, all and all very similar.

Archived