amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part III

Chicago Storm

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when does a surface ride the TOP side of the jet? Look at the jet energy pouring into the southern plains as well.

Look at the upper level jet coupling. Jet streams don't perform magic, but there are equations that describe the dynamics involved. Regardless, without delving deep into it, the active divergent portion of the jet stream here is on the eastern portion of the trough.

It's an elongated low stretching from Michigan down to WV.

Snow Depth through 84

other models, including last nights euro have indicated a secondary lp forming.....in this setup that would hardly be unusual with such a deep trough. It still looks strange to me that with such a massive deepening trough that goes negative tilt and hits the gulf coast, the only storm reflection is so far north.

Baroclinic. Looking at the NAM alone 850 temps hover right around 0 for some of the storm. Would that indicate mixing issues or could they be overcome by the dynamic nature of the storm?

Where did you see 0C temps during the storm? It seems all snow for MN, very southeastern tip may see a brief sleet mix in early, but mostly all snow.

I like Harry but i'm not really clear with what he's trying to say there.

The strength of the jet coming in on the back side could cause more trough amplification. I think Oceanwx said this earlier today...why do the models keep placing the low this far north when the best upper level divergence is located to the south?

The strength of the jet coming in on the back side could cause more trough amplification. I think Oceanwx said this earlier today...why do the models keep placing the low this far north when the best upper level divergence is located to the south?

baroclinic is doing his best to explain why, it goes over my head. But i trust the NAM and Euro on this one.

So both the euro and ggem ens have a low just south of michigan. So why is the NAM and euro going so far north! Energy needs to stay together and create a blockbuster instead of two decent storms. Has anyone ever seen a secondary form inland in the ohio valley? first time for everything

Look at the upper level jet coupling. Jet streams don't perform magic, but there are equations that describe the dynamics involved. Regardless, without delving deep into it, the active divergent portion of the jet stream here is on the eastern portion of the trough.

Who said it did perform magic? :huh:

Regardless IF come storm time it looks like that the surface low will not be that far to the nw. Bet me on it.

Not sure why we are even debating a 18z run and of the NAM. :P

other models, including last nights euro have indicated a secondary lp forming.....in this setup that would hardly be unusual with such a deep trough. It still looks strange to me that with such a massive deepening trough that goes negative tilt and hits the gulf coast, the only storm reflection is so far north.

Yeah, I would agree with that. But so far this year, that hasn't really been the case.

The 18z NAM did slow the entire system down some though.

So both the euro and ggem ens have a low just south of michigan. So why is the NAM and euro going so far north! Energy needs to stay together and create a blockbuster instead of two decent storms. Has anyone ever seen a secondary form inland in the ohio valley? first time for everything

I'd trust the OP over the ensembles here but that's just me. Please read Baroclinic's posts, he's doing a pretty good job providing explanation for the northern solutions.

I think its trying to do something with that weak jet that is out ahead of the system, the problem is as you stated though the best divergence is to the south, which is why we keep popping this secondary low.

Archived