• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 2011 Banter/Obs/Disco Part III

HoarfrostHubb

Unfortunately this year the sugar maples are in rough shape. So combine dull foliage to begin with and fungus on sugar maples you have a pretty bad year.

A fact I am all too keenly aware of. I just hope that this doesn't effect sugar production next spring. This past spring turned out to be OK with a good sugar content but I think that was because of all the snow we had on the ground. If we can get to spring with a cold moist ground, I think we'll be OK.

Last weeks cold wave has put our trees here on the fast track. A number of areas are fast approaching peak but many others are lagging behind. Either way, the colors are pretty muted.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of the models suggest a storm during the middle of next week that may be a game changer. It might only be temporary, but it may break the back of this obscene torch.

Until we start seeing some cold air up in Canada that isn't modified with pacific air..I'm not enthused about any huge cool down..but anything is better than this current disaster

Until we start seeing some cold air up in Canada that isn't modified with pacific air..I'm not enthused about any huge cool down..but anything is better than this current disaster

Well what the GFS is doing is ripping a piece of cold air from the polar regions and allowing it to basically remain over our heads through next week as a big ridge develops in the NAO region and basically connects it with a big ridge in NW Canada.

I would have to wait and see how the aftn models look before locking anything like that in because it could be overdoing it. The GFS op run isn't going to do it for me, but at least the euro ensembles cooled off a bit.

Some of the later turning trees finally came out with decent reds, oranges, etc., but by now all of the earlier trees are bare, so it is an underwhelming foliage season. Enjoy the patches of decent color because the next wind event and it's over.

Amazing how fast the leaves changed over the last 5 days here. And they are instantly falling...just brown, ugly red and some yellow and falling immediately

Some of the later turning trees finally came out with decent reds, oranges, etc., but by now all of the earlier trees are bare, so it is an underwhelming foliage season. Enjoy the patches of decent color because the next wind event and it's over.

The cow farts from across the street seem to be causing them to drop constantly.

The cow farts from across the street seem to be causing them to drop constantly.

LOL.

Around here, the white ash are all but bare above 800' or so, the maples above 1000' are almost all done but below are really popping right now. The beech are bronzing right up, the poplars and birch are nice and yellow and even the white pines are shedding needles some. We really don't have much in the way of oaks other than on dry, south-facing slopes but from what I've seen, they're not doing a whole hell of a lot.

Weird foliage season for sure. In the hills, where we reached 'peak' earlier than lower locales, things are past their prime but the places along the CT valley that are only now coloring up have really started blazing just in the past few days.

The hardwoods that we have right around the house--white ash, sugar maple and hornbeam are basically all bare now--had a strong and gusty south wind yesterday that really did the leavs in. Boom, done.

Today felt nice, much cooler, after the mega torch we have endured, as said yesterday it is now mild overnights that will continue the torch, even as good as today felt it was a

+11 at BDR, when below normal weather returns it will be a shock to the system.

I will be pleased as punch for the cold but this warm dry stuff has been fine

Euro's got a major cold outbreak Day 10 lol...with upslope snows and a big lake effect snow outbreak if that verified..Highs in the 40;s for most of SNE

I'll be in Upstate NY the weekend of 10/22...it would be nice if this actually happened lol.

59/51, high of 69. Much cooler today, but still above normal for sure.

Foliage has gotten at least acceptable here over the past week or so. Views from the road I live on are getting nice. Another warm day with highs around 10F above normal. This morning's low was 39F which is exactly the average for this date. So +5F overall today.

Foliage has gotten at least acceptable here over the past week or so. Views from the road I live on are getting nice. Another warm day with highs around 10F above normal. This morning's low was 39F which is exactly the average for this date. So +5F overall today.

Nice picture!

No 30's down here yet.

56.6/49

Archived