northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Moving on to mid/late November

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were the major storms in 2007-2008?

2007-08 and 2008-09 were legit Winters, truly epic.

The best storm in 2007-08 was the early March Blizzard and the Mid Dec. Storm. I got over 12" from both monsters :D. And third was the February Blizzard, where I got around 16".

A repeat of 2007-08 or 2008-09 would be remarkable. Certainly it seems like it will be colder this year than those two years.

2007-08 was the best Winter in my area since 1970-71 and 1964-65.

Hmm, are they good for me lol?

They feature a big trough up by AK with higher heights over the US. The NAO looks to go more positive too. Despite the pattern, it's not a torch verbatim which may mean more alternating warm/cold?

Again, this is week 3 and 4 so you never know if they will be accurate.

They feature a big trough up by AK with higher heights over the US. The NAO looks to go more positive too. Despite the pattern, it's not a torch verbatim which may mean more alternating warm/cold?

Again, this is week 3 and 4 so you never know if they will be accurate.

Im assuming this current pattern persists for the next 2-4 weeks but the PNA is not as negative. If thats the case, dare I say, 1999? lol

If we see consistent alternating temperatures then I'm guessing this would lead to more storminess would it not? If we have a strong temperature gradient maybe we can create nice healthy storms but timing is key and the location as well. It does how ever look similar to 2007.

I know weeks 3 and 4 on the weeklies aren't that accurate, but the Winter of 2001-2002 pretty much sucked.

Well yeah...first they aren't all that accurate that far out as you already said, and secondly, even if it verified, it doesn't mean it would last all month and certainly not repeat a '01-'02 winter.

The wild changes we keep seeing in the ensembles after about D10 are certainly an indication that whatever pattern is coming up is quite volatile in the long wave setup. There's probably a lot of uncertainty in how long the -EPO wants to hang around after developing in the Nov 17-18 time period...today's ensembles destroy it extremely quickly and also have the NAO worse looking than yesterday.

Archived