joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Canadian Cold Front #2

WxUSAF

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, my opinion of you just shot into orbit. Go Cowboys!!

(although, I concede that at this point, the skins appear to be the better team.)

skins and "better team" are not words to be used in the same sentence IMO. intra division games are never very easy to call beforehand even if one team is clearly better than the other. in this case i don't think it's that clear. if the cowboys can play without many mistakes they will win.

skins and "better team" are not words to be used in the same sentence IMO. intra division games are never very easy to call beforehand even if one team is clearly better than the other. in this case i don't think it's that clear. if the cowboys can play without many mistakes they will win.

LOL. I agree with that, but the 'Boys are very, very beat up at the moment. Their starting WRs tonight may very well be Ogletree and Holley, Witten is banged up, and who knows how Romo will be able to play. You're right about this series being difficult to predict based on the relative talent of either team at the time. Strange things do have a way of happening. Will be interesting to watch.

Is it considered normal to have 2 cutoff lows to our west back to back like we've had? Granted the first one was tropical remnants so that isn't very common but it just seems odd to me in mid-late Sept. Jet has been parked over Canada during a time that normally features a lot of Canadian cold fronts.

I was wondering the same thing about those GL cut offs. I don't think it's normal as I can't recall it, but my memory is certainly not perfect. I'm not sure I would agree w/you, however, about this normally being a time that features a lot of Canadian cold fronts. Sept. can be pretty tropical around here and this year comes close to taking the cake on that, and maybe does deserve to be first. I think we'll start seeing cold air intrusions more the rule than the exception in the coming weeks as a fall pattern takes over. Otoh, if the cut offs over the GL persists in NOV, then I'll start to wonder wtf is going on.

September's a weird month. It is one of the wettest and one of the driest depending on the pattern. I think it would be pretty hard to argue this is a "normal" September though. Maybe 1 cutoff every few yrs to a decade, but to get two is probably quite atypical. Cutoffs are more a springtime thing here anyway.

Note also that we haven't had much of a fall severe weather season either, normally around this time we get a few QLCS's moving through with alternating warm/most and cool/dry. With these two cutoff's we've been stuck in the warm/sticky sector. Then now, looking at the GFS/Euro this new front coming in Fri/Sat will be more of a Late Oct./ Early Nov. front with I would guess a lot of altostratus type clouds.

some sun broke out over the west up toward frederick etc on saturday. saw a few breaks yesterday but it's been mostly cloudy + here for at least 10 days. partly-to-mostly cloudy is not sunny in my book.

Yeah, the sunshine over the weekend out here was a pretty nice surprise. I was expecting clouds for most of the weekend.

Is it considered normal to have 2 cutoff lows to our west back to back like we've had? Granted the first one was tropical remnants so that isn't very common but it just seems odd to me in mid-late Sept. Jet has been parked over Canada during a time that normally features a lot of Canadian cold fronts.

I think early Spring when someone mentions cut-off lows, and October when talking about a lot of Canadian cold fronts.

I was wondering the same thing about those GL cut offs. I don't think it's normal as I can't recall it, but my memory is certainly not perfect. I'm not sure I would agree w/you, however, about this normally being a time that features a lot of Canadian cold fronts. Sept. can be pretty tropical around here and this year comes close to taking the cake on that, and maybe does deserve to be first. I think we'll start seeing cold air intrusions more the rule than the exception in the coming weeks as a fall pattern takes over. Otoh, if the cut offs over the GL persists in NOV, then I'll start to wonder wtf is going on.

Yea, I kinda rethought the "lot of canadian cold fronts" part of my post. The month is usually dominated by frontal passages in general and sometimes a stubborn SE ridge. The steering flows are usually much stronger in Sept that what we are seeing. It's not just the fact of having a couple of cutoff lows seems out of place. It's how incredibly slow they have been moving around. Lee's remnants even retrograded for a while.

I fish alot on the Chesapeake in Sept and there has been very little wind this month too (especially the last couple of weeks). That isn't normal at all. September is typically relatively brisk with NW - SW flow. This soupy stagnant pattern is really odd and I'm pretty much sick of it.

Looks like a couple days of 60's and lows in the 40's here followed by a week of seasonable..then a ridge moves in. Of course, the ridge will not be a long-term feature if the pattern remains progressive like it's been.

you call a cutoff low progressive?

The last couple days IMBY, it's been foggy/cloudy in the morning and then the low stuff breaks up/burns off by mid-afternoon. Yesterday thought it came back a bit in the evening. Lower Sun angle is making it harder for this low stratus to dissipate in time to get a sunny day.

having light winds doesn't help, either

what is causing the cuirrent pattern??Why is the jet stuck in Canada?? thanks

in-between seasons...same reasons for cut-offs as spring, but in that case its going from the cold to the warm season

last vestiges of summer are hanging on while the cold begins to build in the northern territories

once the fall/winter patterns take hold, things will become more progressive

I'm looking forward to this next cold shot....I think it is important that these things show some oomph even this early in the season...if they are weak and wash out....to me that is not a good sign...but if they perform or really come in strong then I get a tad excited.

in-between seasons...same reasons for cut-offs as spring, but in that case its going from the cold to the warm season

last vestiges of summer are hanging on while the cold begins to build in the northern territories

once the fall/winter patterns take hold, things will become more progressive

True but this year has seemed pretty strange compared to other Septs. Right before Lee's remnants made their way up into the MW, models were showing a sweet canadian front and cooldown. Lee pretty much put the kibosh on the frontal passage and we have been stuck in a stagnant pattern ever since for the most part.

It's pretty clear why the cutoffs have been crawling along too:

The one thing I wonder about is if Lee's remnants never made it N would the current cutoff exist?

Archived