• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Canadian Cold Front #2

WxUSAF

00z Euro has lows in the low 40s for most of us for Sunday/Monday and mid/upper 40s Saturday. 6z GFS is even colder, with the 40F isotherm right along or just north of I-95 Sunday and Monday mornings with 40s for everyone on Saturday morning. Both showing highs in the mid 50s to near 60 for Saturday and Sunday. Should be sunny, so looks like a beautiful fall weekend! Great football weather for the Ravens/Jets Sunday night.

post-51-0-03626600-1317045645.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both the Euro and GFS go subzero at 850. Just an indication of the impending time of year :)

cold/dry

A good cool shot, but we'll be back in above normal territory by the 2nd week of October. This cold looks to be more impressive than the last one... mid/upper 40s at DCA for a low/lows, though lower 40s are quite possible.

What makes you say that? After being impressively pissy about posting the 360hr GFS for grins, this seems like an awfully confident statement for 300hr+ out.

Teleconnections, son, teleconnections. This ain't about posting a model... it's real medium-range forecasting. The ridge is going to jog east and eventually the high pressure will move off the coast and allow for southerly flow to return. Confidence isn't huge, but it's a good bet at this point. You have MJO phase 7, +EPO, +AO and -PNA, which all indicate a warm eastern U.S. in October. There isn't much to indicate that it would stay cold.

Teleconnections, son, teleconnections. This ain't about posting a model... it's real medium-range forecasting. The ridge is going to jog east and eventually the high pressure will move off the coast and allow for southerly flow to return. Confidence isn't huge, but it's a good bet at this point. You have MJO phase 7, +EPO, +AO and -PNA, which all indicate a warm eastern U.S. in October. There isn't much to indicate that it would stay cold.

Since I'm 5 years older than you, don't call me "son".

The models also recognize teleconnections. My point is, don't be hypocritical about Day 12-15 forecasts.

In the past, I've seen reference to the October NAO state and the correlation to the winter state. IIRC, it has been proposed that we would typically want the Oct. state to be positive. Seeing your forecast of returning warmth and ridging, do you see the NAO being pos. in this time frame? I notice the (GFS I guess) NAO predictions look to be slightly negative for the next 10 days or so, but afterward seem to be rising. Also, do buy into the NAO Oct observation being a predictor of the winter?

The models also recognize teleconnections. My point is, don't be hypocritical about Day 12-15 forecasts.

You're missing the point...as long as you just look at a 15 day GFS forecast and not post it, you can play it off as a hunch, or in this case, a forecast.

:thumbsup:

I call lots of people son... including my co-workers who are five years older than me.

Nevertheless, making a medium range forecast and posting a 300+ hr GFS Operational map are completely different things... so yeah, not hypocritical. However, if you had posted the map and then gave solid reasoning for why it could be accurate, THEN it could/would be.

No crap the models recognize teleconnections, but it can (and often does) fail to fully grasp the blend of them in the medium/long range.

I call lots of people son... including my co-workers who are five years older than me.

Good for you. Don't call me "son".

Nevertheless, making a medium range forecast and posting a 300+ hr GFS Operational map are completely different things... so yeah, not hypocritical. However, if you had posted the map and then gave solid reasoning for why it could be accurate, THEN it could/would be.

No crap the models recognize teleconnections, but it can (and often does) fail to fully grasp the blend of them in the medium/long range.

I didn't give any reasoning because it was posted for FUN. You got your panties in a wad about it even after I clarified that.

You're a good forecaster, but you need an attitude adjustment and a not-so-small dose of humility. The humility part goes well with the "son" comments. It implies superiority, not friendliness.

Sucks to be you, its been sunny in Baltimore for an hour or so now.

Must be because you are a Dallas fan living in DC

sun is coming out here too now. but i think it was originally supposed to several days ago.

Mmmm, sun was out at my place yesterday. I heard Saturday was sunny too.

some sun broke out over the west up toward frederick etc on saturday. saw a few breaks yesterday but it's been mostly cloudy + here for at least 10 days. partly-to-mostly cloudy is not sunny in my book.

The last couple days IMBY, it's been foggy/cloudy in the morning and then the low stuff breaks up/burns off by mid-afternoon. Yesterday thought it came back a bit in the evening. Lower Sun angle is making it harder for this low stratus to dissipate in time to get a sunny day.

However, my opinion of you just shot into orbit. Go Cowboys!!

(although, I concede that at this point, the skins appear to be the better team.)

I'm a Ravens fan...I can't really stand either team, but I'll give the Skins the edge since they're local. Despite that, I have the Cowboys winning tonight in the Amwx pick-em league, so I'll root for them just for that reason.

Archived