joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Fall Thread II

JamieOber

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to see the tips of trees change, especially on the hill tops.

Fair amount of color here, still sporadic but definitely noticeable. Is the typical peak in C PA around mid October? I'd assume it would be.

Can't wait for the cold snap this weekend...first frost possible for some places? Maybe even Happy Valley?

Fair amount of color here, still sporadic but definitely noticeable. Is the typical peak in C PA around mid October? I'd assume it would be.

Can't wait for the cold snap this weekend...first frost possible for some places? Maybe even Happy Valley?

The color is really in full swing here.

I have several things frost-sensitive things in my garden I am hoping to coax to harvest, so I am hoping for an extra week or two, lol.

We're headed to the pacific northwest / British Columbia Wednesday for a week. When I return, I want no rain and cool temps for a while.

Get to work on that, boys! :)

:thumbsup:

The color is really in full swing here.

I have several things frost-sensitive things in my garden I am hoping to coax to harvest, so I am hoping for an extra week or two, lol.

Get those plastic bags ready. :P

Took this image last night. Weird how the leaves on the lower part of the ridge are really turned, but not as much higher up this year:

post-1498-0-42254400-1317072418.jpg

That's actually a pretty common thing for our ridges around here. Most of the tree types that produce the early vivid colors reside lower while the top portion of the ridges can be primarily the heartier oak trees that don't really start turning until we're at or past our peak for the best colors. Then you have that canopy of brown on the tops of the ridges in late October when the lower trees have mainly lost their leaves.

That's actually a pretty common thing for our ridges around here. Most of the tree types that produce the early vivid colors reside lower while the top portion of the ridges can be primarily the heartier oak trees that don't really start turning until we're at or past our peak for the best colors. Then you have that canopy of brown on the tops of the ridges in late October when the lower trees have mainly lost their leaves.

I noticed the same thing along I-79 near Coraopolis.

Perhaps the lack of direct sunlight, compared to the top of the hill/ridge.

Wow is it raining in Harrisburg. it is pouring with a couple cracks, booms and bangs mixed in on occasion!

And unfortunately once again it is mostly west of KMDT or Harrisburg's yearly total would be much higher than what it currently is. Many storms this year have dumped on areas just west and north of the ASOS. This downpour would be nice to add to monthly total to try to break the one month record from June 72.

And unfortunately once again it is mostly west of KMDT or Harrisburg's yearly total would be much higher than what it currently is. Many storms this year have dumped on areas just west and north of the ASOS. This downpour would be nice to add to monthly total to try to break the one month record from June 72.

I find that is normal, that readings/measurements i get rarily match MDT.

Archived