• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First real look at cool temps discussion

Ellinwood

6z GFS brings the 0C line down into the WV mountains (0z GFS was close but no cigar)... sub-freezing temps trying to work into the mountains (just a little dot on the map... 0z GFS was slightly cooler at the surface).

post-96-0-68360600-1315566665.png

post-96-0-96810900-1315567132.png

post-96-0-90540100-1315567419.png

GFS not showing precip. in that area yet, but there could be some lake effect rain/snow showers.

0z ECMWF brings the 0C line down like the 6z GFS, but the surface temps are a bit warmer.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS has an awesome birthday present for me :guitar: ...a mega fall cold front mid-late next week. 8pm (0z 17 Sep) temperature on the 16th (my b-day) around 50F :scooter: . Lows the next day in the low-mid 40s. :pepsi:

http://raleighwx.ame...mpsGFSLoop.html

Hopefully, its mega fall and not mega fail.

Best birthday wishes, in advance.

I always wish for chilly temps on my birthday, but it seems that every year we get warmer than average conditions that first week of Oct, although in 1979 we had a surprise snow storm in Warren County (14 inches) on Oct 10. Just 3 days too late, but it's as close as I'll ever come again to snow on my b-day.

climo > models at 7-8 days...it won't get that cold

Maybe, maybe not. It shows 40's at night here in Southern VA. In september that's not that rare. Especially the later in September we go. Now the daytime highs are abnormally low. But I think its possible. Considering with the previous cool down that never made it to the coast..the places that did experience that cool down didn't make it out of the 50's up north and didn't get out of the 60's in the south.

We can't write the strength of the airmass off YET.

As much as that is usually true, the ensembles nailed the recent cold in the Southeast at this range, and they have the Mid-Atlantic in the cold next week. Given the recent shift in the pattern (cold East as record highs were recorded in the West), next week's cold isn't far-fetched at all. Parts of Mississippi and Louisiana got into the 40s earlier this week, so 40s here doesn't seem that unreasonable.

As much as that is usually true, the ensembles nailed the recent cold in the Southeast at this range, and they have the Mid-Atlantic in the cold next week. Given the recent shift in the pattern (cold East as record highs were recorded in the West), next week's cold isn't far-fetched at all. Parts of Mississippi and Louisiana got into the 40s earlier this week, so 40s here doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Like I said above. lol..

40s during the month of September have been hard to come by in recent years. And there has been a rather substantial decrease in the total number of September days below 50 in the last 8-10 years. At RIC, for example, the last September to feature at least one day below 50 was in 2007.

NWS is really downplaying the WINDS associated with this shot of cold advection

NNW gusts to 45 mph not out of the question

Seems NWS has a phobia about mentioning strong winds on the forecasts

Why do you say that? It's september, wavelengths are short, hard for deep baroclinic/cold core pressure deepening at this lattitude.

We have a 70 percent chance of rain.

Hmmm

Can someone fill me in as to why it is clear outside?

I mean, I really don't mind being missed by these thundershowers - we have had more than our share of rain lately, and I DO want to be missed by these so-called thunderstorms - but why is there still a 70 percent chance of thunderstorms in Dale City's weather forecast tonight?

Just askin'

Models need calibrating, I'd say, and some of those forecasters need replacing stat. You got a job - You'd better perform or pound pavement like so many Americans out trying to find a job these days

Hmmm

I mean, I really don't mind being missed by these thundershowers - we have had more than our share of rain lately, and I DO want to be missed by these so-called thunderstorms - but why is there still a 70 percent chance of thunderstorms in Dale City's weather forecast tonight?

Just askin'

Models need calibrating, I'd say

Because it will most likely rain in your backyard, give it about 4hrs.

Hmmm

Just askin'

Models need calibrating, I'd say, and some of those forecasters need replacing stat. You got a job - You'd better perform or pound pavement like so many Americans out trying to find a job these days

This post really added alot to a thread about an end of the week cool down, :axe: ( not to mention that it would have been a bad post in any other thread as well).

My forecast has 40s for lows in my location Thursday through Sunday. Not all that unusual here this time of year. Looking back I recorded 7 lows below 50 last year in September, most of them in the first half including two in the first week. In 2009 though were only 2 on the last two days of the month. What I'm looking forward to is the first blustery day that stays in the 50s.

NWS has highs of 64 here for Friday and Sat. While I sure hope that verifies, I have a hard time believing in high temps that are 12 - 13 degrees below avg with sunny skies. IDK if I'm buying it. Oddly, the lows are forcast as 48 and 49 degrees. That doesn't seem nearly cold enough if highs are in low to mid 60's.

NWS has highs of 64 here for Friday and Sat. While I sure hope that verifies, I have a hard time believing in high temps that are 12 - 13 degrees below avg with sunny skies. IDK if I'm buying it. Oddly, the lows are forcast as 48 and 49 degrees. That doesn't seem nearly cold enough if highs are in low to mid 60's.

Not to mention the fact that KOKV seems to have their thermometer sitting in a skillet in the middle of an asphalt runway.

Archived