• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Earthquake?

ice1972

I really don't understand how I didn't feel ANYTHING at all, when people all around me felt what sounds like pretty violent, noticeable shaking.

Seriously it wasn't violent shaking......here in Cheshire I think the only reason I felt it was I was sitting calmly eating a sandwich totally still.....my friend standing not 10 feet away felt nothing.....up here it was probably the equivalent of a 2.0.......about the threshold for feeling it....

Seriously it wasn't violent shaking......here in Cheshire I think the only reason I felt it was I was sitting calmly eating a sandwich totally still.....my friend standing not 10 feet away felt nothing.....up here it was probably the equivalent of a 2.0.......about the threshold for feeling it....

just going on what I heard, people's facebook statuses said that they "ran out of their houses" and "grabbed their pets" hhaha

what would they do in a 6.5+ ?!?!

Crazy shallow depth though, saw a report of 1 KM. That's unbelievable...

There is a decent little fault that runs through there...

I was unfortunately in my car and felt nothing...

I miss everything

I've never felt an earthquake here...Nashua is just devoid of interesting weather (or whatever you'd call this) outside of winter.

We also need the massive black out a la 2003 :P The coverage is actually quite similar.

Ble Hill actually was a volcano... 450 million years ago... After Mt. St. Helens in 1980, one of the local news stations played some sort of joke where they tried to convince people it was going to blow...

Anyhoo, earthquakes are not wx, but BOX mentioned it:

NOUS41 KBOX 231827

PNSBOX

CTZ002>004-MAZ002>024-026-NHZ011-012-015-RIZ001>008-240900-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

125 PM EDT TUE AUG 23 2011

...EARTHQUAKE OCCURRED IN CENTRAL VIRGINIA...FELT UP THE EAST COAST

INTO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND...

AT 151 PM EDT...AN EARTHQUAKE OCCURRED IN CENTRAL VIRGINIA...ABOUT

40 MILES NORTHWEST OF RICHMOND VIRGINIA AND 85 MILES SOUTHWEST OF

WASHINGTON DC. THE U.S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY HAS A PRELIMINARY

MAGNITUDE OF 5.9 ON THE RICHTER SCALE.

THERE HAVE NUMEROUS REPORTS FROM THROUGHOUT SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND

INTO SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE OF FEELING THIS EARTHQUAKE. REPORTS OF

BUILDING EVACUATIONS WERE ALSO REPORTED...INCLUDING THE FOUNDRY

BUILDING IN PROVIDENCE AND THE GILCHRIST BUILDING IN BOSTON.

IF THERE ARE ANY FURTHER REPORTS OF THIS EARTHQUAKE...GO TO THE U.S.

GEOLOGICAL SURVEY WEBSITE AT EARTHQUAKE DOT U S G S DOT G O V.

$$

EVT

A coworker of mine felt it and asked me if it seemed to me as if the building was moving. She was sitting, I was standing and I didn't feel a damn thing. I always miss this shi*t! :arrowhead:

I hear ya...wife was home and asked me to check my Earthquake App, because table was moving again at the house. I didn't feel anything down in the bottom floors here at the hospital.

Office in downtown BTV was rolling. Not severe or anything but felt like I was on a boat and you could hear the building creaking like in a strong wind. It was actually sorta motion sickness inducing.

My sister in Burlington felt it and sent me a txt message... I was working just below 4,000ft on Mansfield when it happened and didn't feel a thing. I didn't believe her at the time. haha

Ble Hill actually was a volcano... 450 million years ago... After Mt. St. Helens in 1980, one of the local news stations played some sort of joke where they tried to convince people it was going to blow...

Anyhoo, earthquakes are not wx, but BOX mentioned it:

NOUS41 KBOX 231827

PNSBOX

CTZ002>004-MAZ002>024-026-NHZ011-012-015-RIZ001>008-240900-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

125 PM EDT TUE AUG 23 2011

...EARTHQUAKE OCCURRED IN CENTRAL VIRGINIA...FELT UP THE EAST COAST

INTO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND...

AT 151 PM EDT...AN EARTHQUAKE OCCURRED IN CENTRAL VIRGINIA...ABOUT

40 MILES NORTHWEST OF RICHMOND VIRGINIA AND 85 MILES SOUTHWEST OF

WASHINGTON DC. THE U.S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY HAS A PRELIMINARY

MAGNITUDE OF 5.9 ON THE RICHTER SCALE.

THERE HAVE NUMEROUS REPORTS FROM THROUGHOUT SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND

INTO SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE OF FEELING THIS EARTHQUAKE. REPORTS OF

BUILDING EVACUATIONS WERE ALSO REPORTED...INCLUDING THE FOUNDRY

BUILDING IN PROVIDENCE AND THE GILCHRIST BUILDING IN BOSTON.

IF THERE ARE ANY FURTHER REPORTS OF THIS EARTHQUAKE...GO TO THE U.S.

GEOLOGICAL SURVEY WEBSITE AT EARTHQUAKE DOT U S G S DOT G O V.

$$

EVT

We got LOTS of calls when this happened. First one I got was from my sister in Wilmington, Delaware. She felt it strongly there! We didn't feel it at the office, but the hubby did feel it a bit here in the south end of Taunton.

Have issued PNS's for things other than weather...not unheard of. We thought it was a good idea considering all the calls we got.

Did you guys report it on the USGS website? Saw over 14K reports!!! WOW!!!

--Turtle ]

P.S. Sad to hear of possible damage to the Washington Monument.

We got LOTS of calls when this happened. First one I got was from my sister in Wilmington, Delaware. She felt it strongly there! We didn't feel it at the office, but the hubby did feel it a bit here in the south end of Taunton.

Have issued PNS's for things other than weather...not unheard of. We thought it was a good idea considering all the calls we got.

Did you guys report it on the USGS website? Saw over 14K reports!!! WOW!!!

--Turtle ]

P.S. Sad to hear of possible damage to the Washington Monument.

I was a geology major, but have never felt an earthquake. I was in the car when it happened. :thumbsdown:

Cool your sis and husband felt it. Hopefully the Monument will be ok. My sister lives in Alington, VA and felt it big time.

Jeez, within a week of moving out west a fairly strong earthquake hits the east coast and now a hurricane may hit NE early next week? Well, I've experienced both before. It was funny talking with my dad out in WMass at the time of the quake. He was in a parked car and started complaining that the car was moving around. After looking around and failing to see someone or something pushing the car, he started badmouthing the car for being junk.

On another note, I've wondered for a long time why meteorologists apparently feel that earthquakes fall within their domain. Every time an earthquake happens, news programs go to a met for explanation. Ok, maybe that's not totally their fault, but the Weather Channel going back many years would do late night west coast/Alaska earthquake reports.

Archived