• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
List of strongest Nor' Easters to hit New England

ORH_wxman

This nor'easter created a microburst in my hometown of Southborough. I don't recall whether it snowed during the storm in my exact location, as I was under a year old at the time. :)

March 29th, 1984 -

A strong nor'easter battered New England. The central pressure of the storm dropped to 963 millibars (equivalent to a Category 3 hurricane) over the Atlantic east of New Jersey. Winds gusted to 108 mph at Blue Hill Observatory in Milton, MA and to 97 mph at Martha's Vineyard. 8 to 16 inches of heavy wet snow fell in interior southern New England. Numerous thunderstorms also accompanied this spring blizzard. One thunderstorm produced a microburst at Southborough, MA which flattened about five acres of red pines; a most unusual occurrence for a nor'easter.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This nor'easter created a microburst in my hometown of Southborough. I don't recall whether it snowed during the storm in my exact location, as I was under a year old at the time. :)

March 29th, 1984 -

A strong nor'easter battered New England. The central pressure of the storm dropped to 963 millibars (equivalent to a Category 3 hurricane) over the Atlantic east of New Jersey. Winds gusted to 108 mph at Blue Hill Observatory in Milton, MA and to 97 mph at Martha's Vineyard. 8 to 16 inches of heavy wet snow fell in interior southern New England. Numerous thunderstorms also accompanied this spring blizzard. One thunderstorm produced a microburst at Southborough, MA which flattened about five acres of red pines; a most unusual occurrence for a nor'easter.

This event is my first weather memory....though vague.

This is a great thread. Lots of the good ones mentioned.

As an honorable mention I'd like to toss the first of the two may '05 noreasters in there. It doesn't really compare with these other ones listed but it was just so anomalous it deserves some props...think it gusted to 60 on ack and into the 50s elsewhere. Long duration and had a huge economic toll. Obviously no 90 mph gusts or whatnot but impressive none-the-less

May 05 was brutal, great storm.

Yeah, I think it was 91mph was the top gust for Portsmouth. So where did you end up going to watch it?

Ended up at my familiar storm viewing areas between York and Wells in Maine. There is a spot by Wells Beach along Webhannet drive that gets a bit of splashover with pretty much any wave action, so storms are usually frightening there. I actually never got to hit that particular spot in that storm since police had blocked it off long before high tide. Can't imagine living in the houses along that road... had to have been pretty scary that night.

Nubble point was great even though the wind had whipped the rain into such a mist that you couldn't really see anything. Wind was rocking the car like I've never experienced before.

Ended up at my familiar storm viewing areas between York and Wells in Maine. There is a spot by Wells Beach along Webhannet drive that gets a bit of splashover with pretty much any wave action, so storms are usually frightening there. I actually never got to hit that particular spot in that storm since police had blocked it off long before high tide. Can't imagine living in the houses along that road... had to have been pretty scary that night.

Nubble point was great even though the wind had whipped the rain into such a mist that you couldn't really see anything. Wind was rocking the car like I've never experienced before.

Where is your vid?

• 1 year later...

Although not a nor'easter for ACK, but 11/1/1988.

Winds gusted to 63 mph. I was born that day within sight of the Fore River in Portland,Maine.

Another one is April 10th, 1998.

Also, not a nor'easter, but December 29-30th, 1997. Heard some mets comparing it to the Halloween Gale.

Archived