Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
List of strongest Nor' Easters to hit New England

ORH_wxman

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite non-snow producer was the Unnamed Hurricane/Perfect Storm/Halloween Gale

The one random thing that I remember leading up to that storm, were the 3-4 days of 25-35mph winds before the storm even happened. Phil might be the only other weenie to remember, but that just added fuel to the fire.

I was in 7th grade in that storm, and I remember the principle telling us to be careful on the way home, as he made the daily afternoon announcements on the loud speaker. You don't hear that too often.

We had a couple of trees down in my neighborhood in Brockton. Good friend of the family lost her house in Marshfield. Lots of homes on stilts now because of that storm.

The one random thing that I remember leading up to that storm, were the 3-4 days of 25-35mph winds before the storm even happened. Phil might be the only other weenie to remember, but that just added fuel to the fire.

I was in 7th grade in that storm, and I remember the principle telling us to be careful on the way home, as he made the daily afternoon announcements on the loud speaker. You don't hear that too often.

We had a couple of trees down in my neighborhood in Brockton. Good friend of the family lost her house in Marshfield. Lots of homes on stilts now because of that storm.

I was getting loaded at a Halloween Party at ULowell... I wonder if Ray or Tip were there?

27 Dec 1969 Insane Low level jet. SNE changed to rain but a lot of snow in VT and NY.

Do you have any wind figures from that? That was a very intense storm though...we got like a foot of snow here, and then a ton of freezing rain and then I think it briefly changed to rain before ending as flurries. Def one of the biggest snowstorms for VT and Upstate NY though.

Do you have any wind figures from that? That was a very intense storm though...we got like a foot of snow here, and then a ton of freezing rain and then I think it briefly changed to rain before ending as flurries. Def one of the biggest snowstorms for VT and Upstate NY though.

All I have is what is listed in KU, and they don't mention the wind for that storm. They do mention the 90+ gust at Blue Hill on On Feb 2 1961 though.

Perfect storm story, lots of folks may not remember but on the coast in RI the wind blew sustained between 35-50 knots for almost 24 hours under basically partly cloudy sky. Rogue waves were very common, the seas were as insane as I ever saw, not for the extreme height but for the absolute washing machine effect across the entire ocean. With good visibilty for the majority of the storm you could see great distances, these mountains of water all of a sudden sprung up and just overwhelmed the coast for miles in either direction. Coming on the heals of Bob in August the cuts in long standing dunes were incredible, some vestiges of the erosive power of those two storms can still be seen. Insane ocean.

Perfect storm story, lots of folks may not remember but on the coast in RI the wind blew sustained between 35-50 knots for almost 24 hours under basically partly cloudy sky. Rogue waves were very common, the seas were as insane as I ever saw, not for the extreme height but for the absolute washing machine effect across the entire ocean. With good visibilty for the majority of the storm you could see great distances, these mountains of water all of a sudden sprung up and just overwhelmed the coast for miles in either direction. Coming on the heals of Bob in August the cuts in long standing dunes were incredible, some vestiges of the erosive power of those two storms can still be seen. Insane ocean.

When I used to volunteer at the Blue Hill Observatory, Bob Skilling who heads up the program there said that you could see the waves in Boston Harbor. Wow.

When I used to volunteer at the Blue Hill Observatory, Bob Skilling who heads up the program there said that you could see the waves in Boston Harbor. Wow.

Wow, cool story. You volunteered up there? I probably met you when you were a skinny snot faced kid. Spent a lot of time up there, what year?

Eh, like 91 and 92? I went up there for a few hours during Sunday mornings. It wasn't every week...but maybe once or twice a month.

Yep, betcha we met. I was at URI working with State Climatologist Carl Sawyer, we would go up Sunday mornings too. The Doppler ground truth program was starting, along with developing networks of rain guages there was talk of starting an internet weather group besides NE.weather, hmm imagine that.

Yep, betcha we met. I was at URI working with State Climatologist Carl Sawyer, we would go up Sunday mornings too. The Doppler ground truth program was starting, along with developing networks of rain guages there was talk of starting an internet weather group besides NE.weather, hmm imagine that.

I can't remember you being there, but that doesn't mean you weren't there. I was always trying to pay attention as to how the obs were taken, so it's possible I just didn't notice you..lol.

I can't remember you being there, but that doesn't mean you weren't there. I was always trying to pay attention as to how the obs were taken, so it's possible I just didn't notice you..lol.

There were groups of us meeting. I hated that walk up. Did you go to the annual GTG for weather observers up there?

I like how it is officially a hurricane now

That was a great description Steve. Many people on here have impressive memories and others are good writers. You are both

Thanks Dave but I am a hack with the English language. It was actually two storms, the Hurricane did not affect us and being on the NW side actually dropped the seas for us. In some respects Dec 94 and Oct 91 were very similar evolution wise.

Scooter was too busy polishing the heliosphere thingy to take notice of a big guy with a Yankees shirt on

That's cool that you were both weenies in the same place/time without knowing it

All I have is what is listed in KU, and they don't mention the wind for that storm (12/69). They do mention the 90+ gust at Blue Hill on On Feb 2 1961 though.

I'd guess that gust was on the 4th. On 2/2 we had clear and flat calm with -14 in NNJ. 2/4/61 recorded NYC's strongest Feb winds, with fastest mile at 47 mph.

The post-Christmas storm of 1969 is Farmington, Maine's largest precip event, with 9.96" total for 12/27-28 (7 AM obs times), including the 15" snow at the start. That total is substantially higher than any other station I can find, but most locations in the general area recorded 6-7"+ total precip. In NNJ it was 8" snow with enough zr endgame to prevent any drifting in the moderate-strong winds. On the Roxy Rothafel ski report (and in Ski Magazine) I heard of the Manchester, VT region's ski areas getting 40-60" - can recall reading "30' drifts with 60 mph winds closing all the upper trails" in the mag, and Bromley's owner complaining that the State Police declaration that roads were closed costing the ski area some Christmas week business.

I'd guess that gust was on the 4th. On 2/2 we had clear and flat calm with -14 in NNJ. 2/4/61 recorded NYC's strongest Feb winds, with fastest mile at 47 mph.

The post-Christmas storm of 1969 is Farmington, Maine's largest precip event, with 9.96" total for 12/27-28 (7 AM obs times), including the 15" snow at the start. That total is substantially higher than any other station I can find, but most locations in the general area recorded 6-7"+ total precip. In NNJ it was 8" snow with enough zr endgame to prevent any drifting in the moderate-strong winds. On the Roxy Rothafel ski report (and in Ski Magazine) I heard of the Manchester, VT region's ski areas getting 40-60" - can recall reading "30' drifts with 60 mph winds closing all the upper trails" in the mag, and Bromley's owner complaining that the State Police declaration that roads were closed costing the ski area some Christmas week business.

Yeah it was the 4th sorry for the typo.

2/2/76 kept on bombing, with CAR's 957 their lowest ever. It had winds to 115 mph on the Maine coast and probably 70-80 up the Penobscot estuary, enough to cause the tidewater in BGR to rise 15' in 15 minutes, flooding the downtown parking lots and drowning about 200 cars. Winds were southeast, though.

Ash Wednesday took a hard right just before giving my NNJ home its forecast 20" - we got 2. The damage to mid/south coastal NJ was immense.

Later that year the central Maine blizzard dumped 30-40" BGR to MLT with winds 60+ (don't have the official numbers) on 12/30-31. Though the heavy snow was pretty much confined to Maine, the backside winds extended to the MA. NYC recorded its fastest mile in Dec, 43 mph, but I don't have gust info - did not top the current 78 mph record. The wind's effects in NNJ suggest 70, significant building damage, large leaf-off oaks uprooted (from semi-frozen ground - my temps on 12/31/62 were -8/5, with only 2" OG at my NNJ home.)

April 1982 kept on intensifying as it moved north. I'd guess it gusted inot the 60s there, and it had 26" of new snow to play with at CAR.

November 1950 was pretty windy, too, though I'm not sure how much it affected New England.

Yeah November 1950 wins, even though the center was in Ohio and Boston only dropped to 1004MB.

I wonder what happened in November 7 1953, similar setup.

It really was. Yeah we didn't get snow, but c'mon man....you had 70+mph gusts all the way into the interior of NH. How often does that happen? From a coastal no less? If you'd rather have 3-6" of snow....well than you don't like wx I guess. I have friends that live near Newburyport and over in Londonderry, and their accounts of that night were incredible.

I remember my cell kept dropping calls as I was geeking out over the winds with a few of my friends because I was so amped from how strong the winds were. No way would I trade that event for 3-6" ever. Probably wouldn't trade for anything less than 2'+ but even that's tough.

I'll never forget the near constant power line/transformer flashes in every direction in the sky... it was almost scary.

I remember the gridpoint wind forecasts kept climbing with every update. When I saw the NH seacoast go from predicted gusts around 60 to gusts to 90, I knew I had to go down there. I was 99.9999% sure that the wind forecast was going to be very wrong.... just had to be an error, right? 90mph?

Later that night, Isle of Shoals did in fact get a gust to 90 or 91, don't remember which. Total madness.

I'd love to know what made that storm so special.

Yeah, I think it was 91mph was the top gust for Portsmouth. So where did you end up going to watch it?

This is a great thread. Lots of the good ones mentioned.

As an honorable mention I'd like to toss the first of the two may '05 noreasters in there. It doesn't really compare with these other ones listed but it was just so anomalous it deserves some props...think it gusted to 60 on ack and into the 50s elsewhere. Long duration and had a huge economic toll. Obviously no 90 mph gusts or whatnot but impressive none-the-less

I listed Feb 25, 2010 as the first storm on my list. The winds were ridiculous in NE MA and NH...but obviously it wasn't a snowstorm, but this thread doesn't exclude Nor' Easters that didn't dump a bunch of snow....hence why I have December 23-24, 1994 and October 1991 on the list.

I lost power for several hours...only other times I can ever remember that having occured were Bob and Gloria.

Archived