• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Chasing DON

Well, it looks like we have TS Don near the Yucatan, heading in the general direction of TX.

Since, by coincidence, I'm already in TX-- to do some instrument testing with Cory-- this couldn't be more convenient. Rather than hand-wringing in CA Re: whether I should fly to TX for what will probably be a small-ish cyclone, I can just chill here and wait for it. Noice!

First step: I made a hotel reservation in Corpus Christi, as that seems to be a very rough midpoint in the cluster of modeled landfall locations. I generally have a strict rule of not chasing in groups-- I chase alone or with one other dude-- but this is a special occasion, and if all works out, Scott (my regular chase partner), Cory, and I will chase Don together! Should be cool. :)

One other issue: my camera equipment is in L.A. Ugh. :D If the threat looks real, a friend of mine is going to go in my pad, get my stuff, and FedEx it to me in Corpus.

Game on, mofos!!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it looks like we have TS Don near the Yucatan, heading in the general direction of TX.

Since, by coincidence, I'm already in TX-- to do some instrument testing with Cory-- this couldn't be more convenient. Rather than hand-wringing in CA Re: whether I should fly to TX for what will probably be a small-ish cyclone, I can just chill here and wait for it. Noice!

First step: I made a hotel reservation in Corpus Christi, as that seems to be a very rough midpoint in the cluster of modeled landfall locations. I generally have a strict rule of not chasing in groups-- I chase alone or with one other dude-- but this is a special occasion, and if all works out, Scott (my regular chase partner), Cory, and I will chase Don together! Should be cool. :)

One other issue: my camera equipment is in L.A. Ugh. :D If the threat looks real, a friend of mine is going to go in my pad, get my stuff, and FedEx it to me in Corpus.

Game on, mofos!!

I bet you're clearing lamps off tables right about now.

Good luck with the chasing.

I hope you have your passport ready Josh! My concern is that as the guidance trends stronger, the track will also be increasingly more south. I'm working on my forecast map, but a track near the TX/MX border is my first thought.

Yep, I have my passport. Not sure about Cory and Scott, though. :D I may have to beg Jorge to meet me at the border. ;)

I hope you're wrong of course-- border straddlers are such a pain in the azz.

For those that don't know...

THE INITIAL MOTION IS A SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN 295/10. DON IS SOUTH OF

A LOW/MID-LEVEL RIDGE OVER THE NORTHERN GULF OF MEXICO...AND WATER

VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS UPPER-LEVEL EASTERLY FLOW DEVELOPING TO THE

NORTH AND NORTHEAST OF THE STORM. THE LARGE-SCALE MODELS FORECAST

THAT WITHIN 24 HR DON WILL BECOME EMBEDDED IN DEEP-LAYER EASTERLY

TO SOUTHEASTERLY FLOW THAT SHOULD PERSIST FOR SEVERAL DAYS. THIS

EVOLUTION SHOULD STEER THE STORM GENERALLY NORTHWESTWARD. WHILE

THE MODELS AGREE WITH THIS SCENARIO...THERE IS A SPREAD IN THE

GUIDANCE ON WHERE DON WILL REACH THE NORTHWESTERN GULF COAST. THE

GFDL AND GFS ARE FARTHEST TO THE RIGHT...CLOSER TO THE HOUSTON/

GALVESTON AREA. THE UKMET/ECMWF ARE FARTHEST TO THE LEFT...CLOSER

TO THE BROWNSVILLE AREA. THE FORECAST TRACK LIES BETWEEN THESE

EXTREMES AND IS CLOSE TO THE VARIOUS CONSENSUS MODELS.

Good Luck!! :) hopefully you won't have to cross the border at all and can stay in Texas

I bet you're clearing lamps off tables right about now.

Good luck with the chasing.

Woo hoo a storm where you can stay in the US (possibly)

Good luck Josh! Hope he bombs out for ya.

best of luck, josh, and i hope you're enjoying your time in texas!

Congrats on the upcoming first chase of the season, Josh!!!

:wub:

Thanks, guys.

Cory and I are thrilled at the possibility of getting to use the equipment so soon after the recent testing. It's almost like a fantasy if it come true! Even if it's a small 'cane- like some 70-kt deal-- it'll be totally awesome. I never get tired of 'em-- even the little babycanes-- and it'll be sweet to collect core data. Our obs might end up being really useful, especially if the cyclone comes ashore in the middle of nowhere-- i.e., the ranchlands between Corpus and BRO-- and the core misses any official observing stations.

OK, I'm getting ahead of myself a little.

P.S. Prima donna Scott has made it clear he ain't botherin' with this one unless it's a major, so it looks like Cory and I might be on our own. :D

:wub:

Thanks, guys.

Cory and I are thrilled at the possibility of getting to use the equipment so soon after the recent testing. It's almost like a fantasy if it come true! Even if it's a small 'cane- like some 70-kt deal-- it'll be totally awesome. I never get tired of 'em-- even the little babycanes-- and it'll be sweet to collect core data. Our obs might end up being really useful, especially if the cyclone comes ashore in the middle of nowhere-- i.e., the ranchlands between Corpus and BRO-- and the core misses any official observing stations.

OK, I'm getting ahead of myself a little.

P.S. Prima donna Scott has made it clear he ain't botherin' with this one unless it's a major, so it looks like Cory and I might be on our own. :D

I knew you were upset about not seeing that special order I had made for you involving a certain political figure. Should have kept it a surprise and didn't think you would lash out like this. Make sure and send me the hotel addy and I'll go ahead and overnight it.

Archived