• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
July 2011 general discussion/obs thread

OHSnow

Shaping up to be a stellar 4th of July. :)

Forecast for LAF:

Independence Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming north northeast between 4 and 7 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 61. North northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Same here... :pepsi:

Independence Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming north between 7 and 10 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 61. North northwest wind between 3 and 5 mph.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaping up to be a stellar 4th of July. :)

Forecast for LAF:

Independence Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming north northeast between 4 and 7 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 61. North northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

I don't know if I buy those temps though. LOT is forecasting a high of 80 in Chicago today, but it's already 82 as of 9:51 AM local time. I would be shocked if it didn't hit at least 85 there.

Just a solid stretch of weather for the 2/3 of the 3 day weekend.. Cant complain one bit about the 4th of July forecast..Plenty of Sun ,low humidity and temps in the low 80s. Couldn't ask for anything better. Next 3 day weekend is Labor Day..Wow does Summer fly by.

:sun:

I don't know if I buy those temps though. LOT is forecasting a high of 80 in Chicago today, but it's already 82 as of 9:51 AM local time. I would be shocked if it didn't hit at least 85 there.

And today has what to do with tomorrow?

The rapid rise will be short-lived. The storms really died out just as they reached our area. The Upper Wabash, Mississinewa, and Salamonie river basins received very little rain. Only a trace here. From Wabash on southwest to the LAF area got hit hard though.

But it was a great lightning show as the dying storms moved overhead. There was some scattered wind damage from the gust front/outflow in the area.

Yeah, and it started out low so there won't be major issues.

I'd call this rapid:

lafi3_hg.png

Yeah, and it started out low so there won't be major issues.

I'd call this rapid:

lafi3_hg.png

A 7' rise in 12 hours, that's pretty impressive. I hope there weren't any drunk fishermen camped along the river bank last night. They would have been in for a rude awakening.

What a day on July 2nd. DTW sees a record high of 99F (beating 98F in 1911), which is their hottest temp since also hitting 99 on Aug 8, 2001, but still no 100F temps in 16 years and counting. Then with the evening thunderstorms, they picked up 1.56" which was also a record for the day, and the peak wind gust was 64 mph.

I was at Comerica Park when the storm hit iit was CRAZY. They evacuated the upper deck, trying to cram the sellout crowd into concourses on the lower level. I took some pics will upload later. Sounds like the storm hit my area the worst, as I wasnt home to see it of course lol. Had 2.25" in my rain gague, flash floods everywhere downriver, including some cars stranded under a viaduct. Also lots of branches and some wires down too, as well as some awnings blown off of houses. My rain total was the highest of any of the coop or official stations anywhere in SE MI (actually had 2.30" on the day as had a brief shower around 8am)....although I did see on wunderground that the weather station in Southgate (which borders Wyandotte) had 2.58" of rain. Wind gusts estimated at 60 mph as well. I know it hailed but as said, wasnt home, though based on several nearby reports of 1.00" diameter hail, I assume that was it. Its a shame I missed that, it was chaotic in a different way at Comerica because of being cooped up with 40,000 people, but sounds like what was a bad storm in downtown Detroit was a much worse storm at home. Oh, and the 8pm temp was 93F, 9pm temp 73F.

On a side note, as I havent posted in a few days. After the 5th snowiest winter and 2nd wettest spring on record, DTW recorded the 2nd driest June on record with only 0.94", but with so much moisture in the ground one very dry month is certainly no worry of drought or anything. I had 1.85" in Wyandotte on the month however.

Def a :thumbsup: perfect night for fireworks show, I'm about to watch the Algonac show in 15 mins at my grandparents, if mosquitoes don't carry me away.

Enjoy. :thumbsup: Lake Orion's got postponed until July 9th because they lit one of the barges they set the fireworks off of on fire last night. :arrowhead:

They maxed at 90 today, was intrahour temp.

What is it with DTW being the hottest temp in the area SO often lately? Even hotter than City Airport on most days. You dont think theres anything wrong with the temp sensor, do you? I know with first order stations things like that are checked out and stuff, it just seems a bit funny.

Beautiful night tonight... fireworks were this evening and I managed to get a couple hundred pictures... several good ones mixed in.

Still a rookie photographer... but here were a few of the better ones that I got before my camera battery died on me.

post-595-0-01138300-1309754569.jpg

post-595-0-77308600-1309754639.jpg<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Archived