• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
July 2011 general discussion/obs thread

OHSnow

Hotting up out there in NW Ohio. 96 in Metcalf Field, 94 at Toledo Express Airport.

Also scorching in Michigan: 99 at Ypsilanti, 97 at Adrian, 95 at Troy, Howell, and DTW Airport, 94 at Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Flint.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're at least 4 degrees ahead of everybody except Adrian. Seems a tad questionable but maybe one of the locals can chime in.

I'm in Canton, less than 5 miles from Willow Run Airport where that 111 degree heat index report came from. Here it's 97 degrees with a dew point of 73, giving us a heat index of 108.

Wow... I can't believe northern Indiana isn't under a heat advisory! What the heck is criteria over there? South Bend has a heat index of 108 right now! Big bust for IWX.

Has to be above their criteria. However, everyone else around there is several degrees lower right now.

Wow... I can't believe northern Indiana isn't under a heat advisory! What the heck is criteria over there? South Bend has a heat index of 108 right now! Big bust for IWX.

I'm not sure what it is for IWX's area, but for LOT:

Heat Advisory - Maximum heat index of 105 to 110oF with a minimum of 75oF for two or more consecutive days. (Heat Advisories not issued for the Chicago metro area.)

I'm not sure what it is for IWX's area, but for LOT:

Heat Advisory - Maximum heat index of 105 to 110oF with a minimum of 75oF for two or more consecutive days. (Heat Advisories not issued for the Chicago metro area.)

It's probably lower than that. CLE's is only 100F -- which incidentally Toledo is above. But it seems like usually the only place that is above that is Lucas and Wood Counties often (due to the sandy soil, I think), so I don't blame them for not issuing the advisory.

You can really see the effects of the dry soil in NW Ohio and SE Michigan from the extremely dry June (2nd driest on record at DTW, 3rd driest at TOL). Temps ranging from 95 to 100 across the region, with heat indices generally near 105.

NW Ohio (Temp/HX)

Toledo 96/103

Metcalf Field 97/106

SE Mich

Monroe 97/108

Adrian 97/103

Ypsilanti 100/109

Lambertville 95/101

Ann Arbor 95/105

DTW Airport 96/104

Detroit 95/103

Troy 97/99

I just asked about the heat index criteria for Northern IN on NWS chat and here is the answer:

Butch, heat criteria is heat index values of 100F or max temperature value greater than or equal to 95F.

Advisory would've been justified today then. I'm sure there are exceptions but generally speaking it seems like offices don't like to issue short-fused heat advisories.

Advisory would've been justified today then. I'm sure there are exceptions but generally speaking it seems like offices don't like to issue short-fused heat advisories.

I think you are right about the short-fused advisories. Here is a snippet from this morning's disco:

HIGH TEMPERATURES SHOULD REACH 90 OR HIGHER...ESPECIALLY WEST WHERE DAY WILL START OUT MOSTLY SUNNY. EVEN WITH INCREASE IN DEWPTS...HEAT INDICES REMAIN IN THE 95 TO 100 DEGREE RANGE...JUST SHY OF ADVISORY CRITERIA.

Temp bust, 96 here causing index over 100, met both criteria.

95/77/110 here. Nasty.

Wow! That's gotta be near warning criteria. So glad we don't get heat here in Ohio like you guys in SE Michigan. It didn't even make it to 85 today where I'm at and dews were generally in the 60s.

98 at DTW now, 99 Grosse Ile, still 100 at YIP, 97 Monroe/Adrian and 96 at City. Talk about hard to sleep for a midnight shift tonight, even with AC on. :(

Wow. 99 at Grosse Ile is crazy hot for there. It's usually several degrees cooler out on the island on days like today.

98 at DTW now, 99 Grosse Ile, still 100 at YIP, 97 Monroe/Adrian and 96 at City. Talk about hard to sleep for a midnight shift tonight, even with AC on. :(

Also, 98 at Toledo Express and 99 at Toledo Metcalf Field.

Archived