• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
July 4th Holiday weekend wx

Damage In Tolland

Who said there was going to be a heatwave? Mid to upper 80s this week is going to feel awesome, I would slit my wrists staying in the 60 and 70s and rainy all the time as you describe where you live Pete. It sounds so depressing. More 40s tonight?

Well, it's certainly been suggested by our lovable but misguided hypster. Hot as a firecracker, not so much. 60's and 70's are beautiful. We've had a lot of rain but today, for instance has been a delightful mix of sun and clouds. Depressing? Hardly, a perfect Alpine environment. Hell would be living where it routinely hits the upper 80's and 90's. Yeeesh, makes my skin crawl. The lobstahs are in the pot, perfect 4th of July here.

Gonna be another big heatwave fail Thur-Sat in our areas..... looks like a slightly better shot of cool air....

We don't do heatwaves very well.lol Happy 4th Rick.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thunderstorm in Westbrook ME--pretty impressive with frequent CG lightening, and lots of dime and penny sized hail (unusual for the Portland area).

Yeah...there's some nice downpours and lightning with those ME and S NH cells. Just clear and mid 80s back this way. I had a cell form just to my east and move eastward...I really could've used the cool down

You can see the outflow boundary moving westward toward the NH border from that SW ME cell. Maybe it can spark something.

Yeah...there's some nice downpours and lightning with those ME and S NH cells. Just clear and mid 80s back this way. I had a cell form just to my east and move eastward...I really could've used the cool down

You can see the outflow boundary moving westward toward the NH border from that SW ME cell. Maybe it can spark something.

Couple of little storms over near Fitchburg/Ashburnham... I see the dark clouds to the north

77/60, a high of 79.4, high terrain stayed in the mid 70's. Quite a beautiful day sun, clouds and a persistent breeze. Total heat wave Phail. Thankfully.

Chester Hill maxed out at 80.2 and Goshen was 84. Don't know the elevation at Goshen but that's not mid 70's there or at C. Hill.

Chester Hill maxed out at 80.2 and Goshen was 84. Don't know the elevation at Goshen but that's not mid 70's there or at C. Hill.

Scoob, when I say high terrain I'm not talking 1400', the approximate elevation of Chester Hill, Goshen, and my house. When I say high terrain I'm talking 1,700'+. If you had checked the obs for these high terrain locales you would have seen places like Peru 1800'+ maxed out at 76, or, in other words, mid 70's. If you're going to quibble with my obs at least do your home work.lol Happy 4th o' July.

Scoob, when I say high terrain I'm not talking 1400', the approximate elevation of Chester Hill, Goshen, and my house. When I say high terrain I'm talking 1,700'+. If you had checked the obs for these high terrain locales you would have seen places like Peru 1800'+ maxed out at 76, or, in other words, mid 70's. If you're going to quibble with my obs at least do your home work.lol Happy 4th o' July.

You two are such a cute couple

Thunder really rocking to the north. Great cloud structure

Point taken but 1400'+ would seem to qualify as high terrain to us "valley guys" lol.

You two are such a cute couple

Thunder really rocking to the north. Great cloud structure

You've been spending too much time with the degenerates in OT. You used to be so nice,polite.

Point taken but 1400'+ would seem to qualify as high terrain to us "valley guys" lol.

"Valley Guys" lol, sounds like a bad musical. I remember Moon Unit Zappa had that song "Valley Girls". Anyway, it was warm today but pleasantly so. Around 80 isn't bad, we usually have a breeze from one direction or another it seems. When it gets up around 90 that's when I start to really dislike the heat. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often.lol

No, the "high terrain" is usually 3,000ft and above.

Highs never got out of the mid 60s in the "high terrain" as the thermometer I was watching at 3,625ft never got above 64F today with a steady west wind to keep things refreshing. Kept getting phone calls from the valley wondering how the mountain "air conditioner" was working as folks were sweating it out in town. I love needing to wear long pants and occasionally a wind-breaker on July 4th under crystal clear skies.

Oh and the natural snow is getting sparse... even so, still some natural snow left from winter '10-'11 on July 4th. You can tell the bushes that have just recently been released from winter's grip because they still don't have buds or leaves on them. The snow in this picture that is melting right now probably fell in late October or November of last year. The first flakes to fall are the last to melt.

IMG_6514_edited-2.jpg

Happy 4th everyone!

Highs never got out of the mid 60s in the "high terrain" as the thermometer I was watching at 3,625ft never got above 64F today with a steady west wind to keep things refreshing. Kept getting phone calls from the valley wondering how the mountain "air conditioner" was working as folks were sweating it out in town. I love needing to wear long pants and occasionally a wind-breaker on July 4th under crystal clear skies.

Oh and the natural snow is getting sparse... even so, still some natural snow left from winter '10-'11 on July 4th. You can tell the bushes that have just recently been released from winter's grip because they still don't have buds or leaves on them. The snow in this picture that is melting right now probably fell in late October or November of last year. The first flakes to fall are the last to melt.

IMG_6514_edited-2.jpg

Happy 4th everyone!

wow.

I wonder how long snow would linger in the presidentials if they had trees on the summit to shade the snow. It's always amazed me how long the snowfields linger up there on those bare fully exposed south facing slopes.

Oh and the natural snow is getting sparse... even so, still some natural snow left from winter '10-'11 on July 4th. You can tell the bushes that have just recently been released from winter's grip because they still don't have buds or leaves on them.

Hey Scott, nice. Our high terrain above 3k is limited to Greylock and I would specify accordingly.lol Good to see the snow. How does Stowe feel about paragliders?

Happy 4th everyone!

That is awesome.

I actually went in my pool today. Water had warmed up significantly

wow.

I wonder how long snow would linger in the presidentials if they had trees on the summit to shade the snow. It's always amazed me how long the snowfields linger up there on those bare fully exposed south facing slopes.

Yeah it would be ridiculous if they had some dense shade up there in that 4,000-6,200ft range...especially the 5,000ft+ elevations. The Greens get good natural snow but are relatively low in elevation when compared with the Presidentials (and Whites in general). That extra 1,000-2,000+ feet in elevation at this latitude makes a huge difference.

Those snowfields last so long because they are like 20-50 feet deep from wind-loading all winter long. That's what happened with the patch of snow posted above... it was a depression in the terrain loaded from west winds. I bet if you threw a few more mature trees in the wind-loading zones of the Presidentials to shade the transported, you could keep snow close to all-year-long.

However, that is likely why there are no mature trees in those wind-loaded areas... the growing season is already almost non-existent in those areas.

Got crushed in Newburyport yesterday.I didn't have access to radar, but it looked like the outflow from the cells in srn ME help spark the tstms. Shortly before 6, the wind turned north and the air got quite a bit cooler. Tstm developed along the boundary it seemed to the west, and rolled into town. Had large pea/borderline marble size hail the almost covered the ground. Lightning was pretty intense, but it was weird. It wasn't terribly frequent, but every bolt seemed concentrated where I was. I was near the mouth of the Merrimack where it empties into the Atlantic, so perhaps there weren't too many other objects to strike...I don't know, but we mus thave had 10-12 bolts less then half a mile away. 5-6 probably right down the street...enough to hear the click sound from one of the close ones. Weird to have it seemingly so concentrated where I was. Nevertheless, it was cool to see how they formed along that outflow boundary. Had a nice double rainbow when it ended, with some nice white +CG's behind it. Wish I had a camera, because that would have been an epic pic to take.

Got crushed in Newburyport yesterday.I didn't have access to radar, but it looked like the outflow from the cells in srn ME help spark the tstms. Shortly before 6, the wind turned north and the air got quite a bit cooler. Tstm developed along the boundary it seemed to the west, and rolled into town. Had large pea/borderline marble size hail the almost covered the ground. Lightning was pretty intense, but it was weird. It wasn't terribly frequent, but every bolt seemed concentrated where I was. I was near the mouth of the Merrimack where it empties into the Atlantic, so perhaps there weren't too many other objects to strike...I don't know, but we mus thave had 10-12 bolts less then half a mile away. 5-6 probably right down the street...enough to hear the click sound from one of the close ones. Weird to have it seemingly so concentrated where I was. Nevertheless, it was cool to see how they formed along that outflow boundary. Had a nice double rainbow when it ended, with some nice white +CG's behind it. Wish I had a camera, because that would have been an epic pic to take.

Did you say "Double Rainbow"? Whoa! totally cool!!

Your phone??

Archived