• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 5-6th, 2010 Tornado Outbreak

Chicago Storm

days don't get much better than this one chasing wise...the one bad thing was fast storm motions

15z SREF while at Wendy's for lunch before they added the hatching to the tornado probs

post-266-0-18912100-1307252521.jpg

1st tor

post-266-0-21988500-1307252514.jpg

2nd tor

post-266-0-22896300-1307252527.jpg

I will put up my video of the 3rd tornado later

That second tornado with the lightning going through it is like a once in a lifetime shot, really excellent photography there.

Almost got killed on this night. Being the weather fan I was me and my friend and his girl went out at 11:20 and drove towards home. I noticed the pure silence in the air as well as the constant turning of the winds and I realized something big had be going on. Lightning lit up the sky and then debris started hitting my car and before I knew it I was 3/4 mile away from an EF4 tornado. One of the most impressive wedges I've ever seen and very similar in appearance to the Tuscaloosa tornado. The thing turned and wound up missing my house by 3 miles and I was able to get behind it and watch it roll thru a cornfield and a couple houses. It's safe to say if that thing never turns it hits Genoa and Clay Center dead on and the problem is none of us have basements because of the hard clay in the ground. Definitely the most unreal thing I've ever seen before. Funny thing is before you all say that's why you stay home my friends apartment was hit by the tornado in it's intial stages and lost his roof. Just couldn't get rid of that thing.

My route as this Damage Survey shows was basically identical to the tornado. I went on East Broadway Rd to St Rte 795 to Pemberville Rd to St Rte 51 to Fostoria Rd to Walbridge Rd. Would of outran it if it wasn't for the incredible storm motions.

This was the Tornado Path and it basically takes the path I just mentioned I did from start to finish.

This is security camera footage of the twister as it hits the high school

Almost got killed on this night. Being the weather fan I was me and my friend and his girl went out at 11:20 and drove towards home. I noticed the pure silence in the air as well as the constant turning of the winds and I realized something big had be going on. Lightning lit up the sky and then debris started hitting my car and before I knew it I was 3/4 mile away from an EF4 tornado. One of the most impressive wedges I've ever seen and very similar in appearance to the Tuscaloosa tornado. The thing turned and wound up missing my house by 3 miles and I was able to get behind it and watch it roll thru a cornfield and a couple houses. It's safe to say if that thing never turns it hits Genoa and Clay Center dead on and the problem is none of us have basements because of the hard clay in the ground. Definitely the most unreal thing I've ever seen before. Funny thing is before you all say that's why you stay home my friends apartment was hit by the tornado in it's intial stages and lost his roof. Just couldn't get rid of that thing.

My route as this Damage Survey shows was basically identical to the tornado. I went on East Broadway Rd to St Rte 795 to Pemberville Rd to St Rte 51 to Fostoria Rd to Walbridge Rd. Would of outran it if it wasn't for the incredible storm motions.

This was the Tornado Path and it basically takes the path I just mentioned I did from start to finish.

This is security camera footage of the twister as it hits the high school

I don't remember CLE mentioning a 2nd satellite tornado with the EF-4, but that video clearly shows it.

Tornado Emergency issued for Peoria that night, the first one ever for ILX CWA area...but it turns out the NWS based that off of bad info..,,(ie false police reports that Elmwood was compeletly destroyed and reports of a long tracking wedge tornado moving towards peoria)

I was in downtown peoria at the civic center that evening in the theater common area which was packed with people.. got a call from ilstormchaser(who also couldn't chase that night) about the warning ..he then called and said the warning was very legit and with a very tight couplet and a tornado headed for peoria....

The theater common area is very open with much of it glass ceiling and walls..I stood around waiting for civic center "security", which consisted of a couple of old ladies and another person, to move us to a safer location..nothing was happening....ilstormchaser then called back again about the TOR emergency and the couplet seemed to be headed right for downtown...still no one told us to take cover

Finally I said something to sercurity explaining the situation and put ilstormchaser on speaker phone explaining what he was seeing on the radar and hearing on the scanners..

finally they annoucned to the people about the possible Tornado heading for downtown and moved us across the hall into other area...but this location wasn't that much better..almost like a school gymnasium....I told the group I was with forget what they told us and stay in the restrooms or the little hall area near them.

but luckily the storm cycled and jogged to the left missing us..

The next day in the Peoria paper the NWS was quoted as saying "we were afriad what happened in Elmwood was going to happen in downtown peoria for a while"

One of the more memorable nights of tracking an event since I've been on these boards.

Mine as well. I had a real fear as IKK was in the bullseye as we watched this thing unfold. I kept calling my parents with details of the warnings and damage that was happening to their west, and telling them this was real and to take cover. Thankfully it was a miss for them. Also Brandon's photo of the twin tornadoes remains one of my favorite wx photos.

I remember this day very well. That morning into the early afternoon I was standing about 400 feet from where the tornado hit in Millbury, and the humidity that day was indescribable. Usually severe weather days have that oppressive feeling to it, but that day, you could tell something was different. We didn't even get sunshine until 5-6PM that day. By that time the RUC was showing basically the worst possible scenario here. Never want to see that type of hodograph here again.

Even after all of this, I was still caught off guard when I looked back towards IWX's radar and saw two tornado warned cells go up in 3 scans. Nothing to a EF-2 tornado in Delta in under a half hour. Then there was the Millbury storm, which had a ridiculous couplet even being in the TOL radar hole. Unfortunately 8 people died, but it could have been much worse. Lake H.S. had their graduation ceremony in that school within the week of that tornado, and if the tornado struck during the daytime hours... NWOH would've been a disaster.

The Parameters that night... incredible.

Tornado Emergency issued for Peoria that night, the first one ever for ILX CWA area...but it turns out the NWS based that off of bad info..,,(ie false police reports that Elmwood was compeletly destroyed and reports of a long tracking wedge tornado moving towards peoria)

A few very well respected storm chasers that were leading the CoD trip on that storm really thought it was going to wedge as it was a merry go round multiple vortex for a short time.

Recently I did a brief write up of the Ohio tornadoes on my web page. I wasn't there, but I used to live in Perrysburg and Perrysburg Twp. I saw some of this damage in November.

June 5, 2010

Two tornadoes hit west of Toledo at about 10:38PM near the Fulton County/Lucas County line. One large violent tornado hit near Lake Township, Millbury, and Moline at about 11:20-11:30PM. Three tornadoes happened in the southern Michigan area adjacent to Toledo. The NWS says this in their storm survey of the western Lucas County tornado: "A tornado with a rating of EF1 first touched down at State Route 64 and the county line. The tornado moved northeast to the intersection of Reed and Spencer Road." The EF4 tornado at Lake Twp./Millbury/Moline was the worst tornado in the Toledo area since 1965. There was significant damage to Lake High School and there were 5 deaths in Moline.

This was a situation where storms developed near a warm front/stationary front late at night with strong instability and strong wind shear.

http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/Toledo_Tornado_Outbreaks.html

Yeah, 5/7 he was up this way. I chased the MOD into OH, which led to a supercell, but never dropped anything.

Hah, just found an image from 5/7:

That cell did end up going tornado warned, and produced a tornado just off of Route 6, 6 Miles ESE of Bowling Green.

That monster, you put that track about 50 miles NW into Chicago and that could have been a historic day. If I remember right this was only a ef-2?

Yeah, nothing from that supercell was rated higher than EF2. It sounded really bad in real-time though...large and extremely dangerous, houses flattened etc. Originally it was on a path that would've brought it into the south side of Chicago, but it cycled and produced its last tornado farther south.

Yeah, nothing from that supercell was rated higher than EF2. It sounded really bad in real-time though...large and extremely dangerous, houses flattened etc. Originally it was on a path that would've brought it into the south side of Chicago, but it cycled and produced its last tornado farther south.

I think by shear luck it missed a lot of things thus the EF-2 rating, because if I remember correctly that thing had a very strong couplet with it, of course it was also a very large tornado. Of course size doesn't equal strength but you don't hear of many 3/4 mile wide tornadoes under ef-3. All and all that day ended up being very lucky for Chicago.

Archived