• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 5-6th, 2010 Tornado Outbreak

Chicago Storm

Definitely one of my favorite events worked. You knew the potential was there, and when the nocturnal convection was timed just right that locked it in.

It was especially interesting because initiation was occurring right over my CWFA. Plus, I got to survey the EF2 in Magnolia (that went on to produce the EF3 in Streator), and it was my first experience with significant tornado damage.

Recently I did a brief write up of the Ohio tornadoes on my web page. I wasn't there, but I used to live in Perrysburg and Perrysburg Twp. I saw some of this damage in November.

June 5, 2010

Two tornadoes hit west of Toledo at about 10:38PM near the Fulton County/Lucas County line. One large violent tornado hit near Lake Township, Millbury, and Moline at about 11:20-11:30PM. Three tornadoes happened in the southern Michigan area adjacent to Toledo. The NWS says this in their storm survey of the western Lucas County tornado: "A tornado with a rating of EF1 first touched down at State Route 64 and the county line. The tornado moved northeast to the intersection of Reed and Spencer Road." The EF4 tornado at Lake Twp./Millbury/Moline was the worst tornado in the Toledo area since 1965. There was significant damage to Lake High School and there were 5 deaths in Moline.

This was a situation where storms developed near a warm front/stationary front late at night with strong instability and strong wind shear.

http://www.greatlake..._Outbreaks.html

Ohh you're the guy who owns that site? I've used it countless times to study past snowstorms and severe weather events in this area. Really one of the best weather sites I've ever seen

Definitely one of my favorite events worked. You knew the potential was there, and when the nocturnal convection was timed just right that locked it in.

It was especially interesting because initiation was occurring right over my CWFA. Plus, I got to survey the EF2 in Magnolia (that went on to produce the EF3 in Streator), and it was my first experience with significant tornado damage.

The Magnolia tornado was a beast looking at the picture, a friend I was chasing with that day, his parents live in Magnolia but didn't get hit by the tornado.

taken from the NWS survey page from that day.

Magnolia tornado..

The Magnolia tornado was a beast looking at the picture, a friend I was chasing with that day, his parents live in Magnolia but didn't get hit by the tornado.

taken from the NWS survey page from that day.

Magnolia tornado..

It's a wonder that it didn't touch down sooner. The couplet was intense for at least a half hour before we could find any evidence it reached the ground. We drove the entire track from near Kewanee to the border with LOT and found no tornadic damage until it reached the eastern side of Sawmill Lake.

That photo is probably taken when the couplet maxed out, there after the storm began to cycle and the tornado was weakening into Magnolia. I have no doubts that if you superimpose the tornado in this picture over Magnolia and we're talking EF3. We ended up rating it a very high end EF2 because we could not find anything beyond the toppled cellphone tower that could possibly be EF3 degree of damage.

Yeah, I remember this night. I was at the movie theatre for a late-night showing of Get Him to the Greek. They evacuated us and made us leave around 11:30 PM... said there was a tornado warning in effect. So I left in my car and it was storming pretty bad, didn't see any tornadoes. But I got back to my place and there were tornado warnings all over the place and there was an F4 that had just hit a little south of there.

There was no warning beforehand... I don't recall anybody saying anything about the possibility of tornadoes or I wouldn't have gone to the theater. I didn't even know it was supposed to thunderstorm.

Yeah, I remember this night. I was at the movie theatre for a late-night showing of Get Him to the Greek. They evacuated us and made us leave around 11:30 PM... said there was a tornado warning in effect. So I left in my car and it was storming pretty bad, didn't see any tornadoes. But I got back to my place and there were tornado warnings all over the place and there was an F4 that had just hit a little south of there.

There was no warning beforehand... I don't recall anybody saying anything about the possibility of tornadoes or I wouldn't have gone to the theater. I didn't even know it was supposed to thunderstorm.

We were all over it at Eastern. :guitar:

Archived