Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Hudson Valley Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am going to say I had around 12 inches.. Measured 11 last night on my deck and that was way after compaction would have occurred and it was still snowing for another hour or so. Pretty intense for October to say the least.

I saw report that Stormville Mountain had 22 inches..

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come this winter :)

Lost power at 2 pm Saturday. Power back on at 8:30 Sunday night. Lost 1 tree, I was out there knocking the snow off as many branches I could,saved a lot of them. Wound up with 10-12 inches at an elevation of 125'. Herd limbs snapping all night. Nice 1st snowfall for the season.

Not much wind at all on Saturday night. That saved a ton of additional damage.

TJay-Wow, I don't envy that clean up, that reminds me of the Snowicane in my yard although it looks like you lost some whole trees, not just large branches.

HV-I was thinking the same thing about the winds, they never got as bad as I expected anyway at least IMBY. My folks in New Windsor are still in the dark. While I never lost power I realized yesterday afternoon that the water system I'm on is down but a lack of water seems minor compared to not having power or heat.

No hard freeze yet so I'm still pulling tomatoes and peppers off my plants, the plants look like crap but are still producing. Same thing IMBY regarding the leaf drop this year. little color, lots of bare trees and green to brown leafs. I have a flowering tree that always turns a bright red in the fall. This year it’s going from pukegreen to dirty yellow to brown on the ground.

Still pulling tomatoes and peppers from the garden? :whistle:

32.5/31 light snow. Been flipping back and forth between heavy and light. And just lost the other bradford pear. I new this day would come. I am shocked I still have power. Usually I am out by now.

I saw mass pear tree destruction all over in my travels over the past two days.

Still pulling tomatoes and peppers from the garden? :whistle:

I saw mass pear tree destruction all over in my travels over the past two days.

Yeah, they were conveniently frozen for me too. Fam on Staten Island told us they lost their pear tree and they only had a few inches.

I thought I dodged the bullet with just losing water but then last night around 7pm my power went out so out came the generator again (one of the best investments I've made). Central Hudson says by 11pm on Wed night but I think that's their standard answer for all of their customers. :axe:

Sorry to hear your power is out again, also your parents. When I called Cent. Hudson on Sunday, they told me Thursday was the estimated date for restoration. I was lucky enough to get it back later that day. The tree I lost was a pear. Hang in there.

T-jay sorry too see those photos. You got a large clean-up there.

The storm just hit me today in Dublin. :lightning: Of course it wasn't snow - just strong winds and squally showers as it moved toward Ireland. It looks like the old low is going to park itself here for a few days now and keep it unsettled.

I took the train down to the city later on Monday en route to JFK on and so I was too low to view the heavier snow areas. It was still white white in some areas though from southern Dutchess down to upper Westchester along the river. I hit the old low near Newfoundland Monday night and it got pretty turbulent.

TJay-Wow, I don't envy that clean up, that reminds me of the Snowicane in my yard although it looks like you lost some whole trees, not just large branches.

HV-I was thinking the same thing about the winds, they never got as bad as I expected anyway at least IMBY. My folks in New Windsor are still in the dark. While I never lost power I realized yesterday afternoon that the water system I'm on is down but a lack of water seems minor compared to not having power or heat.

The storm just hit me today in Dublin. :lightning: Of course it wasn't snow - just strong winds and squally showers as it moved toward Ireland. It looks like the old low is going to park itself here for a few days now and keep it unsettled.

I took the train down to the city later on Monday en route to JFK on and so I was too low to view the heavier snow areas. It was still white white in some areas though from southern Dutchess down to upper Westchester along the river. I hit the old low near Newfoundland Monday night and it got pretty turbulent.

Enjoy the trip Rick

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111107/NEWS/111109819

:yikes::axe: not happening

Utilities ponder underground lines

"While it would save (Central Hudson) $18 million a year in tree-trimming and other storm costs, and $10.5 million in operation and maintenance costs, it would cost $18 billion to install them – and create a need for $3.24 billion more a year in revenue for things like maintenance.

Perhaps the worst impact: It could add an average of $10,000 a year to each customer's bill, Maserjian said. Not to mention a $2,000 one-time charge by an electrician to put each customer's service line underground."

http://www.recordonl.../NEWS/111109819

:yikes::axe: not happening

Utilities ponder underground lines

"While it would save (Central Hudson) $18 million a year in tree-trimming and other storm costs, and $10.5 million in operation and maintenance costs, it would cost $18 billion to install them – and create a need for $3.24 billion more a year in revenue for things like maintenance.

Perhaps the worst impact: It could add an average of $10,000 a year to each customer's bill, Maserjian said. Not to mention a $2,000 one-time charge by an electrician to put each customer's service line underground."

I agree, putting the existing service underground is not happening in our lifetime.

Its been such a crazy stretch of weather. The tropical systems, then the warmth then the snowstorm then mild weather again. It never really felt like fall to me at any real point. The week after the snowstorm seemed like late March or April to me...

I agree Rob sure has been strange. More or less right on schedule, I mulched the last leafs today, put the tractor and walk behind mower in the back of the garage and moved the snow thrower and shovels to the front.

I agree Rob sure has been strange. More or less right on schedule, I mulched the last leafs today, put the tractor and walk behind mower in the back of the garage and moved the snow thrower and shovels to the front.

I will be mowing the the lawn for the last time this season today. Maybe I'll put some of the outside Christmas decorations up, might as well take advantage of the temps. in the 60's that are on tap for today. :)

Archived